Shadow's Welding Projects (feel free to add your own)

Create your own stuff? Talk about it here.
speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Once I get mine finished we can figure something out. By that time, I'm sure I'll have figured out better ways to do it since this is version 1.0.

I bought a cart from HF but I'm not crazy about how the tank is secured and you have to lift up the welder to open the door on the side because the cart has a lip around the top.

I want to start welding. I just have to find the time and get materials to play around with. I'd like to take a class too though.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14

I've got a HF cabinet (#61705) as well. I like the design...but damn near broke my back deadlifting my argon tank onto the platform. My AR 200 cylinder weighs a ton.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14

SecondGenPAt wrote:Nice work Shadow!
Welding is so much fun when you really get into it and is an invaluable skill once a decent amount of compentency is developed.
I absolutely love tig welding steel, it's almost silent and for me, it's stangely calming and tranquil.
Do you have any plans to add a spool gun for aluminum work in the future?

Possibly add a spool gun, but my friend doesn't like his, so I might save that money toward a tig instead. Right now I just want to get really good with the mig.

Nice to hear from you pat. Hope you are really liking your new home!

Shadowden

Water Fountain Decorative Rock Shelf

Postby Shadowden » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14

A friend of mine has a larger outdoor fountain with 5 vertical water heads. The installer used untreated mild steel expanded steel and just laid it over some mild steel bar. Both rusted badly, and with the expanded steel, it was a mess. I am in the process of building a framed shelf for the decorative river rock to lay on that is stronger, more repair friendly, and rust resistant (hoping rust proof). The fountain is 106" long by 23" wide. There is an overhang of 3" on the front and sides.

The shelf is being built from 3/4" square tubing, 1" angle iron, and 3/4" expanded steel. The shelf is partitioned into 3 sections. However, each individual fountainhead will have an access hatch. This is not only good for being able to service the fountain, it also allows for tighter tolerances of material around the various fountain pieces. When I deconstructed the original setup, I found that the fountain was just sitting in there and relying on the shelf to keep it upright. We will also be remedying that.

Initial framing of two areas. I ended up needing to redo one of these. In this picture, you can see the ends of the tubing cleaned for a good weld. At this point, they are only tacked.
[ATTACH]2797[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of the three frames layed out as they will rest in the fountain. They have been cleaned completely of mill scale and rust and fully welded so moisture cannot get into them.
[ATTACH]2798[/ATTACH]

The hatch access for each fountain head will be made up of smaller square tube frames constructed of 3/4 square tubing. They will be held by sections of 1" angle steel. Here is a picture with the additional cross bracing layed up for welding and the cut angle steel in each spot where a fountain head will be.
[ATTACH]2799[/ATTACH]

I was able to get the hatch support corners rounded and the edges beveled for welding. I have 1 full set installed, another set tack welded in place, and have to redo the rest since I put them on upside down. I used 1" angle so that the edges would be easier to catch when placing the hatch lid down. However, this forms a crevice where water can sit. Even though the frame will be treated, I decided to fill this crevice. It also adds strength. I had been fighting the welder for previous welds, and was stoked to finally get it set to lay down a nice looking weld. In addition to looking good, it is a pretty good width and the heat pattern suggsts very good penetration.
[ATTACH]2800[/ATTACH]
Attachments
weld bead.jpg
More layup.jpg
Frames.jpg
two frames.jpg

Shadowden

Water Fountain Decorative Rock Shelf Pt. II

Here is a picture of the main pieces of the rock shelf. You can see the angle steel I used to create a place to rest the access hatches on over the fountain heads. You can also see hundreds of welds on the expanded steel top to hold it to the frame.
[ATTACH]2801[/ATTACH]

The access hatches will be built the same as the main fame, except they will be smaller and there will be 5 of them. Based on that, there is still considerable work to be done,and then there is the need to finish it in a water tight finish. For the finish, I am leaning toward the rustoleum bed liner paint. Suggestions are welcome here keeping in mind that abrasion resistance is important.
Attachments
expanded steel in place.jpg

Shadowden

Water Fountain Decorative Rock Shelf Pt. III

Finish and install pictures

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:14

Looks interesting. Hard to picture what exactly it is at this point. any "before" picture? Your problem solving and attention to detail show in your projects. Strong work ShadowFab, I think we should start a side business, if only our schedules worked out better.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:14

My friend is in China, so I hope to finish it this week, prime it, plastidip it and install next weekend. I'll get some pictures up of it during and after install.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14

Air Separator Tank (AST)

This is the air separator tank for dwduc's FD. The tank is built from 6061 aluminum. More specifically the tank is composed of the following materials:
  • 1/4" walled 3.5" diameter aluminum tubing (tank)
  • 1/4" thick pieces cut from 3.5" round stock (end caps)
  • 1/4" aluminum plate(mounting tab)
  • 1/2" round stock (bottom mounting post)
  • 3/8" thin walled tubing (side inlet and bottom outlet)

My role in this build was sourcing the parts (alreco's north of Denver), cutting to size/shape, deburring, and otherwise prepping for welding. I had a friend at work use TIG to put the pieces together. At this point, I only have to polish the tank. It doesn't HAVE to be polished, but why not. Huzer picked up a bench grinder for me, that I am hopefully going to get from him this week.

Laying out the pieces:
Bottom of the tank with the aligning nub and outlet tube
[ATTACH]2802[/ATTACH]

Sketch of original mounting tab thought on aluminum. This idea was eliminated so that more surface area was available for welding it to the tank. The piece was eventually cut out with a jigsaw and then hand filed to final shape. Which can be seen in the previous picture.
[ATTACH]2803[/ATTACH]

This is the tank as I got it back from my friend that welded it together.
[ATTACH]2804[/ATTACH]

Once I got it home, I hit it with green scotch bright discs on my angle grinder to get the big imperfections leveled out.
[ATTACH]2805[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]2806[/ATTACH]
Attachments
initial scotchbright 2.jpg
initial scotchbright 1.jpg
freshly welded.jpg
original mounting tab layout not used.jpg
layup tank bottom.jpg

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14

Air Separator Tank 2

I plan to continue polishing the tank, but here is an example of the polish using my dremel on the mounting tab.

Initial polish with a mild rouge
[ATTACH]2807[/ATTACH]

I back tracked and used a more aggressive rouge, then came back with the mild rouge.
[ATTACH]2808[/ATTACH]

Once I get the grinder from Huzer, I will polish the remainder of the tank to this same level. Upon delivery to dwduc, he will flare the inlet and outlet tubes currently in place, then also attach the outlet vent on the top of the tank that I believe goes to the coolant overflow reservoir.

Updated Picture:
Spent some time with the grinder that Huzer picked up for me and polished the AST as well as I could given the tools I had at hand. I need to extend the grinder axle out more, get a sewn wheel, and a large amount of compound. I think it is still pretty good looking though.
[ATTACH]2809[/ATTACH]
Attachments
AST polished.jpg
Tab polish 1.jpg
tab polish 1a.jpg

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14

I have a HF electric die grinder and polishing setup that works good.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14

Project Request:

Project: Mobile Armor Suit
Requirements:
- Shall be 2+ Stories tall
- Shall operate via brain waves and electrical pulses
- Shall store and deploy latest technology of military arsenal
- Shall be powered by Arc Reactor technology
- Shall look badass (eg. Refer to Macross and Gundam specs)

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14

Sounds like you have been watching too much "Pacific Rim"
AST looks good. Its gonna make the rest of the engine compartment look bad.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14

Sign me up for what Saul is having. lol

Actually though, after seeing that separator tank...I want to have a tank for water injection where the ABS pump used to be, and use the ABS pump bracket for the water inj tank.

I was also thinking about doing a different OMP injection tank also, but I'm going to wait on that for now.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14

Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to a tig welder (yet). So I'm afraid the tank is a one off deal until I do have access. I could potentially get a spool gun pretty easily, but then I would still need gas and wire. So that is also down the road a way and realistically, I'd rather get a TIG machine instead of putting money toward the spool gun.

Return to “Fabrication”