Improving the site and club

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

I think the problem with the Dyno day is that not enough people are putting down enough power to make it work. If I'm correct, it would mostly be attended by those that had put power mods on their cars, which seems to be a select few.

Personally, I like this discourse we are having now regarding the site. It's organized, not full of name calling or immaturity and it is getting us somewhere. I'm just wondering how we will decide what will be implemented.
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

I think we also need an active recruiting campaign. More tagging. Maybe rewards for someone who recruits a certain number of members who sign up?

What about the always-evil ads? Could we raise club monies by using ads? At least pay server costs?

I also think more charitable events would draw people in. It's a lot easier for a married person to say, "Honey, we're getting together tonight to help save the ta-tas" than it is to say "Yeah, we're hanging out at Sonic and eating junk food." Plus, it gets the club out there, doing good in the community, and will automatically attract attention/members. Our presence at Vista Ridge attracted a lot of kids who knew about the MS3/6, but didn't know there was a local club.

And finally, I think we should have a movement to get club members to kidnap my wife and convince her that modding my car is actually a priority, and should get an automatic allotment from our income to support my morale. :)
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

bellalyssa

Stealth01 wrote:
And finally, I think we should have a movement to get club members to kidnap my wife and convince her that modding my car is actually a priority, and should get an automatic allotment from our income to support my morale. :)

Love the idea for the Save the Ta-Tas campaign!

And let me talk to your wife Chris... I'll sway her opinion.

Operator

Postby Operator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:I think the problem with the Dyno day is that not enough people are putting down enough power to make it work. If I'm correct, it would mostly be attended by those that had put power mods on their cars, which seems to be a select few.

For the most part I agree with you. But this meet I went to a few years ago, had multiple people who's only mod was an CAI. http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=50923.0 and we all had a blast!!!! Maybe a yearly or bi-yearly dyno day?
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

Stealth01

My problem with the dyno day is the cost. With my meager little CAI (I've hear THAT a million times before lol), I don't really want to blow the cashola that could go to mods on a dyno. I know it provides a starting point, but the mod fund already grows slowly...
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

MSP SuperStreet

Postby MSP SuperStreet » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

I've been MIA.
Decided to take a break after Mazda Mania event.

It great to see this thread started and the interest its received. Its evidence that there are many who care about the club and still see the potential for improvement. There are many ideas and visions for this club already shared.

Given the interest, I think its appropriate to schedule a meeting to focus this energy and interest to strengthen and improve the club. There are already several projects still on-going: design of the club hoodie, 2011 Club Calender and tech days.

Who is available next week?

One suggestion would be to meet an hour early (6:00pm) before the monthly BBW meet (10/7).

bellalyssa

Unfortunately I can't make any meetings next week :/ but I feel like I agree with enough of the things that have been said. :)

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

MSP SuperStreet wrote:Who is available next week?

One suggestion would be to meet an hour early (6:00pm) before the monthly BBW meet (10/7).

Well, I'll be there at 5 PM, so I'll even be a couple of hours early! *burp*

Touching on the Dyno Day thought, we've had, to my recollection, 3 dyno days. 1 was at MAC, 1 at SR Tuning, and 1 at Revolutions Performance. I only made if to the SR event, and it was mostly a rotary turnout, with 12 or so (maybe a few more) cars hitting the dyno before we blew it up. I know the other 2 had a good showing, too. I think a few rotaries showed up at Import Sports (myself included) a couple of years ago as well. It can be done, like anything else, it needs a lot of lead time to get attendance up there, as well as to properly coordinate with the shop.

I also agree with Stealth about tagging. We were pretty hardcore about it when we started the club. It's definitely tapered off.

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

if we're gunna talk about meets, i think it boils down to what others have said, its commitment. if no one is committed to even pay $25 a year for instance, what makes anyone think they'll commit to going to a meet!

i think if we want meets to be succesfull its going to rely on some of the senior members (myself included) to basically put up, shut up and just flat out attend events so long as their schedule permits. if we continuously have a set amount of people at each event/meet then it gives reason for others to attend.

unfortuneatly tho, the club that we keep comparing to of old, just isn't the same, hell besides a small handfull, the members aren't the same! which means in order to gain that energy and momentum back we need to encorporate the new members into having the same drive that us ol' foke had back in the day, aka they need someone to "lead" them, or show the way.

people are like herds, they will go where the "leaders" go and fall in line. and by leaders i don't just mean the moderators, thats also the senior members of the club.

another thing to i wanted to point out was similar to what some others have kinda touched on, and thats the lack of...excitement...energy...motivation thats actually on the forums. we have hardly anyone thats online posting up car related material, its all guido's funny's thread, or the challenges thread. i think if there was more excitment brought out on here it would bleed into everything else the club does. to the point where i think we would have the solid friendships like there used to be and instead of it being car meets, it would be going to kick it with friends, like chicken said. the kinda thing to when you're bord instead of texting the people i work with to go out for a drink, itd be someone from here to go drive, or help install parts (or return to stock as it was in my case). once the friendships grow and people unite the willingness to participate will increase.

edit: holy shit i typed a lot on my phone!! just impressed myself! lolz
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

Very well said, TBot. I agree 100%. People do have a "herd mentality" and will fall-in line for the most part. I also feel the disconnect between members here and general friendships. I'm not saying we all need to hold hands and hug and best BFF's, but it seems like there's more drama/resentment sometimes between members than actual friendships.

Also Lyssa, I agree, that's why I believe the Dyno Day wouldn't be as big as it could be. I don't blame people with only a CAI or something that don't want to fork up $50-$80 to do some pulls on a dyno. While we did have a lot of cars like this in AZ, we did have a significantly larger group of people with a lot of power parts on their cars, who were naturally more interested in a dyno.

I have a pretty good relationship with Harvey who runs Boost Creep, so I can talk to him about a Dyno Day and try and negotiate the best rate possible for all members. Colorado weather can be unpredictable (the dyno is indoors, don't worry LOL), but I would like to schedule it for April/May of 2011.

One of the biggest challenges facing this club we didn't have in AZ are 1) Scattered membership throughout the State, and 2) Inclement weather for a good chunk of the year.

In AZ, 85% of our club was in Phoenix (which is a BIG, spread-out city), 10% was 1.5 hours south in Tucson, and the other minority was scattered throughout the State. Here in Colorado, we have 3 major groupings of membership (Co Springs, Denver/Metro, Fort Collins/NoCo). I've just noticed, generally speaking, NoCo members don't want to goto Co Springs, Co Springs members don't want to goto NoCo, and Denver/Metro members rarely want to go anywhere but the Denver/Metro area LOL. I'm not calling out anyone individually, just sharing my observations. Along with the whole committed culture ideals, people need to be more willing to travel to meets.
:eek:

Stealth01

I think the unwillingness to go anywhere, at least on my part, is due largely to family concerns and the cost of gas. We have paydays where I'm milking the MS6 to get every last mile out of a tank of gas, so making it to a Denver meet would suck.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Operator

Postby Operator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14

And the Mazda scene must have blown in in Phoenix "after" 2005. I tried like heck when I was down there to get together with ANYONE. Is Greg still active?
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:
Also Lyssa, I agree, that's why I believe the Dyno Day wouldn't be as big as it could be. I don't blame people with only a CAI or something that don't want to fork up $50-$80 to do some pulls on a dyno. While we did have a lot of cars like this in AZ, we did have a significantly larger group of people with a lot of power parts on their cars, who were naturally more interested in a dyno.

I guess I should have clarified. I'd be more than interested to attend a Dyno day. I would not, however, be interested in running my car on one. To me, the money versus my lack of mods just doesn't make sense. I'd love to see what some of our members cars can do though and listen to how to make things better. That's the main way I learn new things, by listening and being able to have an open discourse where I can ask questions without being flamed.

I have a great time with people from this forum when we do get together though and I do wish I could personally make more events that would bring me closer to you guys. But... time is in short supply for me. Maybe after I graduate, if I stick around I can dedicate more time to this than I have in the past, but for now, I am incredibly happy with the things that I've attended.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:I guess I should have clarified. I'd be more than interested to attend a Dyno day. I would not, however, be interested in running my car on one.

And that's what we need. In the past, the events have pretty much ONLY been attended by people that run. Still, we had good turnouts, and think we can again. 2 of our 3 previous dyno days were in Co Springs, and were well attended by the Denver folks. So location (as long as we're not talking Grand Junction here) isn't as big of a deal.

Basically, the two main points (there are others) to come from the thread are:

1. Commitment.
2. More Vehicle related content on the forums.

Both easily achievable with the help of our members. Once again, I'm hoping that the BWW meets can be a starting point. Once bitten, twice shy, however. I'm trying to be a little more optimistic, but I've heard every excuse in the book in the past. The most annoying is the "looks like rain, can't get the car dirty" crap.

Renesis Rx

Postby Renesis Rx » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:14

Don't know if this has been touched on by anyone else cuz I can't read every post. But I know I've mentioned it and I'll do it again. REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVES! If there's going to be a meeting to discuss the future/direction of the club then having R.R.'s attend is the best course of action IMO. The R.R.'s have a meeting with their area prior too and discuss anything that area's members want addressed or suggested. Then at the meeting all the R.R.'s bring up those issues/suggestions and hash em out (this would require a club Pres also). Take things BACK to their area and have another meeting to inform their members. This type of thing would need to be done on a monthly or bi-monthly bassis probably, but would be easy enough to accomplish. This does many things.
1) Gives all members a feeling of representation and unification throughout the club as a whole.
2) Gives the members a PURPOSE for meeting and not just to go hang out at a Sonic or other Burger place.
3) Gives more of a club feeling and not just a message board feeling because people are sitting down face to face and discussing issues and brainstorming ideas.
4) Would help to acctually get things in place such as meets and events because there are designated and accountable people.
Right now there is too much "We should do X and we should do Y. But I'm not gonna do it cause I'm not in charge." And that's fine cause Ideas are what make things happen. But too often it's met with "if you want something done nothing is stoping you." Not everybody WANTS to organize things. Just because a person has an idea doesn't mean they have the leadership skills or whatever to actually make it happen. Not tyring to offend anyone with that but it's true. For an organization to have success it needs to be organized. Meaning leadership, identified roles and accountabilty. Mods are not in leadership positions like many think. They are here to admin the site and nothing more. I think we need to identify some roles and positions before we start trying to figure out how to improve the club.
Renesis...MMMMMMMMM

Return to “Colorado Automotive Enthusiasts News and Info”