NEW! Featured User: OCD

bmwzoom

NEW! Featured User: OCD

Postby bmwzoom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

How long have you owned this car? I bought it fresh off the showroom floor from Sill-Terhar Mazda in September 2007

Is there anything unique about the history of this car? Out of the roughly estimated 10,400 units produced within 2006-2007, mine is #10327

Why did you choose this car to purchase? It had all the options that I wanted on it, and it didnt have the "$4500 Denver Market Adjustment" added

What other cars did you consider? Not a One

What was your objective with this car? My objective with this car has grown over time, it started out perfect when I bought it, but soon learned of the downfalls and issues that the car had. My most recent objective was to break 350 awhp.

What tuning style would you describe this car as? Currently, the "tuning style" is definitely one Ive grown to enjoy. At first, I liked the sleeper look with chrome, but have since come to the realization that my personal tastes love the red and black look so much more. I like to stand out, and this car definitely does that, I rarely get challenged anymore, because it is definitely not a sleeper.

Who helped you build this car? A few friends and members have helped me throughout the process, but It has been mostly myself doing all the mechanical work on the car. Accessories and exterior mods have all been done myself as well.

What makes your car special? I think the fact that its a Mazdaspeed 6 makes it special enough, but I think the way I have made the car look with my own tastes and experience have made the special in itself.

What is your favorite part/feature/function? My favorite part of the car has to be the Garrett Turbo. It turned the car into another vehicle completely, it made it fun to drive again.

Who or what inspired the direction of modifications on this car? I think my own trial and error issues I had with the vehicle inspired me to take it to the level that its at now. Ive learned that there is no medium when it comes to getting what you want in performance. After 3 turbos, 3 sets of rims, 2 manifolds, 2 exhausts, 3 intercoolers, and a mess of other things, I think Im finally happy.

What don't you like about this car? I hate the clutch in ALL Mazdas, Ive owned three, and they are all a bitch to drive. I also dont really care too much for the keyless entry system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, it can get frustrating, especially in the rain when your car door wont unlock.

What was your biggest obstacle in building this car? The biggest obstacle was figuring out the boost problems I had after installing the Protege Garage Reworked K04. After about 3 months, $1500 in diagnosing charges, and $500 in ecu's and parts, I finally gave up and ditched the stock boost control. It didnt end there though.. I went through 2 MBC's, and 2 EBC's to get it right, and find what I wanted.

How did you overcome the issue? I ended up going with a Turbosmart Eboost2 Electronic Boost Controller. The amount of control I have over boost parameters is mind boggling. Problems solved

What would you change if you could? I would have saved the money with all the trial and error, and just done it right the first time. Pm me for the "right way"...haha

On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the outcome of this project? Right now, my satisfaction sits pretty high, Im feeling about a 9. The only things that bug me are minor, and they are quickly erased when I get into boost :)

What would you do to the car if money were no object? I would do a complete motor swap, probably ditch the direct injection, and do a GT35R

Who has been your biggest critic of this project? My biggest critic is DEFINITELY my wife. She cant stand that I have to change a "perfectly good car". She doesnt understand the male brain, and how we function. Most of the time, she just rolls her eyes, and gives me a "whatever" look when I show her something new Ive done. It has caused arguments for sure, but the few times she has said, "wow that looks really good", or "your car is sooo fast" makes up for all the negative comments..

What do your family and friends say about this car? Most of my friends are pretty sarcastic, so they all ask when the rice is ready to eat... My younger family loves the car, while the older side cant seem to understand the obsession.

What is your most memorable/humorous/embarrassing moment with this car? My most memorable moment with my car was when my 2nd turbo blew up. The street was FILLED with smoke 6 cars deep, and about 10 stories high. I blew 3 quarts of oil through my hot exhaust in a matter of 10 seconds. It was a great, but embarrassing moment..

Has this car competed in any events? Ive never been really big on competing in shows or races, but as most of you know, it most recently took "Best Import" at the 2nd CMZC Birthday Bash. It also turned a few heads at MAC's dyno when it put down 356awhp/365awtq

What is your favorite place to drive this car? I love going to Estes Park, and driving Golden Gate Canyon

What is your ideal day with this car?Unfortunately, I work so much, the car rarely sees south of Lafayette. I mostly drive it to work and back. After 2 years of ownership, Im sitting at 33000 miles.

Who gets to drive this car? Well, I used to let my wife drive it to work once in a while, but all her punk coworkers couldnt stop touching it, and she curbed two wheels, so that stopped. Ive recently let a few members drive it, but after one hit my rev limiter TWICE on his testdrive, Ive limited that also.. Im not naming any names, PATRICK.. ;)

If your car had a motto, what would it be?

If you had to name your car, what would you name it? Ive never been big on naming my cars, but if I had to, it would definitely be a guys name, like Bob, or Bill... you know, somebody I could really get along with

What was your previous project? My previous project was a 2006 MAzda 6 2.3L

What is your next project? Already started my next project, 2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 classic

What one word best describes your car? Underestimated

Anything else you’d like to share?

Owner Information:
Name: Eric Wallis
City: Firestone, Colorado
Username: OCD

Vehicle Information:
Year: 2007
Make: Mazda
Model: Mazdaspeed 6
Color:Velocity Red Mica
Engine: 2.3L turbo
Mileage: 33000
Engine Modifications: Garrett GT2871R Turbo, Dnp Turbo Manifold, Tial 44m EWG, ETS 3.5" TMIC, Cp-e Fuel Pump, Custom 3" intake, Labonte Motorsports Stage II Meth Injection, Cp-e Standback II, Cp-e Full Control Flashes, Turbine Tech Front Motor Mount, Cp-e Rear Motor Mount, much more
Exhaust Modifications: Magnaflow 2.5" cat back dual exhaust, Cp-e Catted Downpipe
Transmission Modifications: TWM stage 2 Shifter with bushings
Suspension Modifications: Mazdaspeed Lowering Springs
Brake Modifications: Stock
Wheels and Tires: Tenzo 18x8 Cuzco, Nitto 225/40R18
Interior Modifications: Vei Digital Boost Gauge, AFR Gauge, and EGT gauge
Audio/Video/I.C.E.: Parrot Bluetooth/handsfree/ipod connector
Thanks/Props: Big thanks to friends who have helped me with the car; Troy, Rich, Brendon, Tbot, Patrick, many others...thanks ALL!!

bmwzoom

bmwzoom

Congratulations on being nominated as CMZC's New Featured User Eric! You were nominated because you won Best Import at the 2nd Annual CMZC Birthday Bash! Congratulations again!

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

Congrats Eric
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

tbot

Postby tbot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

woohoo! right on on Eric!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

Very good read. You're definitely an asset to this club, congrats!
one and one makes two, together we are free

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

Congrats man. Image

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

Congrats, Eric. Glad to see you and your ride got the recognition it deserves!

MazdaGurl

Postby MazdaGurl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

Congratulations!! Your car is definitely an inspiration to the club, and we're happy to have you aboard!

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

Greek8: I swear Angie has some sort of freak car.

Eclipse

Postby Eclipse » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

thanks everybody.. I apopreciate it!!
Powerstroke 6.0

Legend33

Postby Legend33 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

i have to ask why to you get rid of your front mount again?

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

Congrats Eric! Well Deserved.
2013 FRS

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14

Lookin good Eric, I love the wheels with the red pin stripe........Glad you are back here and can lend you advice and experiences with the plethora of new members. Oh and us oldies too.....:cool:
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]