Featured User: Chickenwafer

bmwzoom

Featured User: Chickenwafer

Postby bmwzoom » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14

How long have you owned this car? 2 1/2 years

Is there anything unique about the history of this car? It was once raced by Darth Vader......no nothing really, LOL

Why did you choose this car to purchase? My love of the rotary engine and it's unique styling. Plus, it's not like every other Evo and STI out there on the road- it's a unique platform and I love it.

What other cars did you consider? The typical Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX STI, and the Nissan 350Z, and Infiniti G35 Coupe.

What was your objective with this car? To make it my own, be unique, and make it one of the most badass RX-8's out there!

What tuning style would you describe this car as? My own- clean, smooth, and fast. I've taken various influences from all forums of motorsports and woven them into my car. I never want to get a too big wow factor actually- I want people to appreciate my car more as they look at it and take in the details.

Who helped you build this car? My friends in Arizona. They were great. I'm sure all my new Colorado friends will be helping me soon enough!

What is your favorite part/feature/function? It has to be the semi custom turbo kit- it took a lot of work to get it right, but now it's perfect. It completely transforms the way the car drives, feels, and sounds.

What don't you like about this car? Right now I have a small electrical gremlin that will drain my battery if I don't disconnect it in about 2 days, LOL. I don't like that. Other than that the aftermarket support, like with all Mazda's, is weak. I guess it's a catch-22 tho, because if the aftermarket was larger then there would probably be more people modding RX-8s and it would make the platform less exciting and unique. The RX-8 also gets a lot of flack because it's constantly compared to Evo's and STI's and yes, it's much slower.

What was your biggest obstacle in building this car? Coming up with the money to built it, probably, LOL! Other than that I had a huge issue with tuning- my tuner flaked on me and I was stuck with an underivable car.

How did you overcome the issue? I took it upon myself to learn tuning. I stock piled a bunch of books, stayed up late reading them and various tuning articles on the web, and soaked it all in. I'm now proud to say my car is self-tuned, and I've tuned many other turbo and non-turbo RX-8's, RX-7's, and various other cars. Tuning has now become my passion.

What would you change if you could? Well, my car is always changing, it's part of my hobby, LOL. I fine tweak it until there is nothing left to tweak so then I change it up.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the outcome of this project? Can I pick 11?

What would you do to the car if money were no object? I've probably done it all. I guess if I wanted to throw drivablitly out the window I would do a three-rotor 20B turbo swap and push 900-rwhp, but that just isn't usable. Maybe a JDM 13B-RE Twin turbo swap with a safe 550-rwhp or so. I still think the Renesis is much more capable than people give it credit for tho.

Who has been your biggest critic of this project? That's easy- ME! I give myself grief over everything. I remember I would put some part on or do some kind of work on the car and sit up and think "I half-assed that..." and do it all over again, even tho no one would probably even notice the difference. I have to know I did a good job.

What is your most memorable/humorous/embarrassing moment with this car? Most embarrassing was easily was easily when I had my girlfriend's Aunt and Grandma in the car. I had to make a U-Turn, I gave it too much throttle, and I went Drifto-Superstar in the middle of the road, did a full 360 and went straight. The Aunt when straight for the "Oh-Shit!" handle and the grandma just screamed. I felt bad.

Has this car competed in any events? Yes, I've competed in 3 NASA TT events back in Phoenix, been to the drag strip a few times, and showed at HIN: NightShift Phoenix 2008, Dezod Desert Showdown 2008, and many other club events.

What is your favorite place to drive this car? At the track. Since I'm new up here, I haven't gotten too familiar with the roads and fun twisties, yet.

What is your ideal day with this car? Probably a good canyon run with some friends would be a good start. I actually love putting her on the dyno and just doing some tuning for a few hours- working out all the bugs. It's such a joy to drive afterwards and feel the fruits of your labor, and know you did it.
Owner Information:
Name: David McLarty
City: Loveland
Username: Chickenwafer

Vehicle Information:
Year: 2005
Make: Mazda
Model: RX-8
Color: Titanium Grey Metallic Clearcoat 26Y
Engine: Renesis 13B-MSP Multi side port 2-rotor Wankel, turbocharged and intercooled
Mileage: 50,500 on chassis, 4,000 on rebuild motor

Engine Modifications: Semi custom turbo kit with cast iron GReddy turbo manifold, custom modified Garrett GT3071R internally-wastegated dual ball bearing turbocharger, custom modified cast GReddy downpipe, aluminum charge piping, ATP Turbo blue 5-ply silicone couplers, custom aluminum bar and plate air-to-air front mounted intercooler, GReddy Type-RS Blow-off valve, Custom aluminum cold-air intake with K&N air filter, Custom GM LS2 4-wire ignition coils with custom aluminum bracket, Custom MSD silicone plug wires, NGK BUR9EQP RX-7 Trailing plug in the leading hole, Cobb AccessPORT with Custom tune by me, Agency Power underdriven polished crank pulley, BHR/Griffin Aluminum oversized radiator, Richard Sohn OMP adapter, Custom 2-stroke oil tank for Sohn adapter, Custom trunk-mounted battery relocation kit with 0/1g power cable, Optima red top battery, Custom aluminum oil catch can with a custom mount made by me and riveted in place, staged 290/380/730 Denso matched fuel injectors, GReddy polished aluminum air diverter panel, GReddy 1.3bar radiator cap, Custom rotor shaped oil filler cap, Snow Performance Stage2 water/methonal auxiliary injector kit with custom mounted tank, pump, and solenoid, Racing Beat oil filter sandwich adapter for oil temp/pressure gauges, Racing Beat water temp hose adapter for water temp gauge
Exhaust Modifications: Custom 3" catless race/midpipe, HKS Hi-Power single exit cat-back exhaust with titanium tip
Transmission Modifications: Fidanza billet aluminum lightweight flywheel, ACT Heavy Duty strip/street Stage 3 clutch and pressure plate, Rotary Performance braided stainless steel clutch hose, AxialFlow Engineering short throw shifter, Monster shifter knob

Suspension Modifications: Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, Sprint Performance lowering springs, GReddy GREX triple-tube polished aluminum front strut tower brace

Brake Modifications: StopTech slotted 1-piece brake rotor front and rear, Hawk HPS+ brake pads front and rear, Mazdatrix braided stainless steel brake lines, Motul RF660 brake fluid, G2 Gold brake caliper paint

Wheels and Tires: RAYS Gram Lights 57 Maximums 18x8.5 +45mm offset wheels, BFGoodrich Riken Raptors 245/40ZR-18 tires.

Exterior Modifications: Authentic GT Factory stainless steel, nickel plated Diablo weld-on vertical door kit with custom lifting struts, Genuine Mazdaspeed front bumper, Genuine Mazdaspeed side skirts, Seibon carbon fiber KS Evo-style vented hood, 3M Clear bra on entire CF Hood, NRG Carbon fiber hood dampers, JDM Mazda clear corners, Limo tint, OG PedoBear sticker!
Interior Modifications: Racing Beat fiberglass ashtray triple 52mm gauge pod, ProSport electronic full-sweep peak/warning gauges for water temp and oil pressure, AEM UEGO wideband air/fuel ratio gauge, AEM Digital 52mm boost gauge with sweeping LEDs, GReddy E-01 electronic boost controller with custom mounted screen

Audio/Video/I.C.E.: Fully 100% custom built Mini CarPC with Jetway Mini motherboard, 2gb RAM, running full Windows XP, Panasonic slot-load CD/DVD drive in glovebox, stainless steel USB hub in glovebox, laptop-style optical touch pad in center console bin, PlayStation3 USB mini keyboard in center console bin, 7" color TFT touch screen LCD VGA monitor in JDM Mazda manual flip-up movable screen mount with cover, PIE adapter plugs into back of OEM headunit and plays MP3's off the CarPC through factory stereo, Aux Headphone jack in for iPOD or MP3/CD, Viper 5900 LCD 2-way paging alarm with motion sensor and under dash sirens.

Thanks/Props: First, my girlfriend, Melissa, for supporting all my car craziness! Also, all my Arizona friends that helped me, wrenching on cars until 5 in the morning, and offering advice. And to my new Colorado friends who have welcomed me so thoroughly.
Thanks!

Dave

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14

CONTINUED.....

If your car had a motto, what would it be?
Do it right once.

If you had to name your car, what would you name it?
I dunno. I've never really been one for naming cars. I usually refer to it as the "8" or "her/she", but that's about it. What is your next project? My next project on the 8 is going to be a full wiring tuck, most likely, and possibly a bridgeported Renesis, and a new custom top-mounted turbo kit I will make myself completely. I also plan on going green- E85 fuel baby! And I have some cool new parts coming mid September probably, so stay tuned!

What one word best describes your car?
Badass

Anything else you’d like to share?
Just that I love my car. I feel like it's an extension of myself and I really have poured my blood, sweat, and tears into it. There have been many of times I wanted to throw in the towel, but I didn't give up, and the outcome proved worth it.

*DarthRX8*

Postby *DarthRX8* » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

Dave,

Your ride is what I would do to my mazda if I didn't have a wife, three kids and had more money! It is one of my favorite 8s out there, good job and enjoy it while you have it! :)

Sterling

movovr

Postby movovr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

Excellent Dave! I'm glad you've joined this club.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

Damn...

Sounds like a beast, though!

Thanks for the read!
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

also can't see the pics
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

I should be able to fix it when I get home.

RX-7 Chris wrote:also can't see the pics
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

I fixed the photos to the best of my ability and they are showing up for me.... Hopefully they will stay up. Sorry!

Number2

Postby Number2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

movovr wrote:Excellent Dave! I'm glad you've joined this club.

I agree. Very nice Mazda.
"Littering, and?..."

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

Thanks everyone!

I was honestly blown away when Bree emailed me about this....I'm still in shock!
:eek:

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:Thanks everyone!

I was honestly blown away when Bree emailed me about this....I'm still in shock!

Very good choice, definitely a unique 8! Congrats Dave:)
one and one makes two, together we are free

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

Good call on picking this F.U. (hehe..)

Seriously though; enjoyed the read. Nice car, man. Image

MSP SuperStreet

Postby MSP SuperStreet » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

Great Read.
Got a better appreciation for your Ride.
Its nice to have the "Featured User" Thead again. Thanks Bree.
The Club has alot of Great Rides worthy to be featured.

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

That was a nice read for sure.......nice to have it going back to the individual and his goals/hopes/dreams/and seeing them through:D

That is seriously one sweet 8!!!

Should have never gotten married............Jk

She let me get a bike........;)

Can't wait to see it in person......:cool:
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14

kingtut wrote:Very good choice, definitely a unique 8! Congrats Dave:)

P.S. Nate let the beast out.........doesn't look good behind bars:p
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC