Featured User: MSP SuperStreet

RX-7 Chris

Featured User: MSP SuperStreet

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

[font=Times New Roman][size=134]In the Beginning
My love of cars began early when my father and I would tinker with a red 1965 Corvair. We would spend Saturdays working on the car and the next day the Family would take the car for a “Sunday Ride”. I owned many cars and my last performance import was a turbo charged 1988 300ZX. The end came when I started a family and traded my Z for a family van in 1995.

A New Beginning
It wasn’t until 2003 when I took a new job which had me commuting 57 miles one-way that I got my foot back into the door for another performance import. I had a SUV for winter driving and was looking for another car to easy the commuting cost. I looked at a number of compact imports. I even test drove a Prius, Bug and Echo. LOL I really wanted a WRX or Evo but just couldn’t afford them at the time. I also looked at RSX and IS300 but they could not compare to the overall value of the MAZDASPEED Protégé. As soon as I saw the Blazing Mica Yellow and test drove the car I was hooked on turbo power MAZDASPEED - ZOOM ZOOM. I purchased it that day, right off the show room floor, brand new for $17,000. The car remained stock for the next 2 years with the exception of window tint, fog lights and Sirius hook-up.

Let the Modding begin
In the spring of 2005 I started to catch the Performance Mod Bug. I started with upgrades to the exhaust, IC and CAI. Later that summer I added an EBC, Turbo Hard Piping, SSBOV, TT and Ksport Coil-Overs. By the Fall; I was fully infected with the “Mod Bug” and couldn’t get enough, the performance modifications were taken even further with the addition of a Nitrous Express N-ter Cooler Sprayer and ZEX wet kit. I was truly enjoying the car and cruising on mountain roads. Zoom Zoom!!!

I started showing my Ride at Colorado Import Shows during the summer of 2006. In the Fall I turned my attention to the In-Car-Entertainment system. My son now 11, started to take a larger interest in the car especially with the addition of seven monitors, a Playstation 2 and a complete upgrade in the audio system.

Big Set Back – ZOOM ZOOM BOOM
My son and I were looking forward to a great year and enjoying the car in 2007. I met a lot of the founding members of the Colorado Mazda Club at the 2007 Spring Dust-Off show. We shared our passion for Mazdas and I first heard suggestions on starting an on-line Mazda Club. Unfortunately later that month while the car was being serviced at a local Performance shop they over boosted the EBC and blew my engine. I went around and round with the Performance Shop trying to settle the damage claim. In the end we ended up settling and I got a check from their insurance company for $6,750.00. Although it took nearly a year to settle, I was able to come out ahead on the blown engine. I got a brand new forged engine with upgraded forged internals to replace the OEM factory engine with 47,000 miles on it. Needless to say the Performance Shop ended going out of business. I was fortunate in one respect in that I was able to settle my claim before they closed their doors for good.
ZOOM ZOOM KABOOM?? - I think my ZOOM ZOOM BOOM was more catastrophic than typical. Here is the damage report:
Blown Engine Block and Pistons – 3 of the 4 pistons through the Block.
Damaged Head - Almost totaled, ended-up salvageable & re-machined
Damaged Intake Cam - Replaced
Pistons Took Out the following:
Oil Cooler and Intake Tube - Replaced
Oil Pan - Replaced
Down Pipe - Replaced

Rising from the Ashes
I got the insurance settlement check the Spring of 2008 and the rebuild commenced. It was a slow but steady process; making sure the engine was rebuilt strong and broken right. A complete engine management system – Microtech LT10 was added to compliment and support all the performance mods. As the engine rebuild progressed this past summer, the car was picked-up as a “Demo Car” for Mile High Sound Design a sponsor for the Colorado Mazda Club. The car was completely gutted of the old system and Bryan totally redesigned the In-Car-Entertainment system. By the Fall of this Year the Car was back on the Road and made an appearance at Street Tuner Mayhem and the Colorado Mazda Club’s 1st Birthday Bash. The modifications are too numerous to list here so I plan to update my garage soon. (See MHSD thread for more)

There are still are a still a couple of loose-ends to follow-upon this winter and several new Mods to come. I plan to be more active in the club and putting many miles on my new engine this coming summer. Looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting many other members of the Colorado Mazda Club.
ZOOM ZOOM
MSP Super Street
Karl and Logan

[/SIZE][/font]
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

Cograds on being the featured user of December 2008
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

nice write up! I've always liked the ms protege.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

Congrats!

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

Congrats. I enjoyed the write-up!

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

Congrats and nice write up!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

Very nice. Congrats man.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14

BTW Karl your son is my hero... I love that raven haired girl to the right of him...
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

jdmsp

Postby jdmsp » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14

Nice! Congrats man!

milehighspeed3

Postby milehighspeed3 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14

Sweet ride!

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14

Congrats on the feature! I think it's the nicest Protege I've ever seen :)

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14

I'm jealous. Where can I find some turbo parts for my 5? LOL
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

Roadrnr06

Postby Roadrnr06 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14

Congrats! Your car truly shows all of the hard work that you have put into it!
[font=Arial Black][size=100]Roadrnr06 was my leased 2006 Speed 6 which was purchased on 06-06-06. I have many fond memories of that car, and will be keeping my original profile as a memory of the great car that I once had.

My new user name is Roadrnr09 and showcases my new 09 Subaru WRX which I am very happy to have purchased as a replacement vehicle : )

[/SIZE][/font]

MSP SuperStreet

Postby MSP SuperStreet » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:14

Sorry but I've been MIA. My CPU and Window's Explorer has been on life support. I've already spent 10 hours on the phone with Micosoft Tech support. Hope to have the issue resolve soon.

First I would like to Thank RX-7 Chris for helping put together my Feature write-up. I ended up sending it to him in pieces and he had to reassemble it. Props to Chris!!!!

Second, I appreciate all the positive feedback. It's an honor to be select for the December Feature. My Ride is my passion which I share with all Colorado Mazda enthusiast.

Third, I am still committed to getting my "Garage" updated as soon as my CPU headache is over.

Best Holiday Wishes to everyone and here's to a great 2009 for Colorado Mazda Club.
ZOOM ZOOM!!!
Karl & Logan

ProjectMSP

Postby ProjectMSP » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14

love the car man its a great inspiration to any 3rd gen owners out there cant wait til this next season, hopefully u will be able to run at bandimere with me:)
2003.5 MSP ,boost gauge,REBORN!!!!
04 Mazda6S hatchback Volcanic Red 5 speed (stock)
MY CAR
http://www.coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/album.php?albumid=5
OLD RIDE
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/777308/3

Return to “Colorado Automotive Enthusiasts News and Info”