Alignment

Post up any Craigslist, Ebay, or any link to a good deal we might be interested in!
RX-7 Chris

Alignment

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14

So I figured I would let everyone know about the Goodyear on Austin Bluffs and Acedemy. I took the car back in and the guy insisted he didn't touch the strut rods although he would've had to. He wasn't willing to admit he missed up. I gave the guy three chances to I just walked out.

I than took the car over to Brett's work, he works at Big O Tire at Austin Bluffs and Barns. The car was way out of alignment and pulling hard to the left. Now the car is tracking great and I'm very happy. I would recommend taking it to them any day.

This is a heads up for everyone.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14

Here is the background:

RX-7 Chris wrote:I took the car in for an alignment Saturday the 12th. After the alignment the car seems to pull to the left. I took it back in and he drove it 2 times. The car seems to drive straight sometimes and all of a sudden it will start to pull only to go straight again. it seems to pull 90% of the time. I have the print out and the guy seems to know what he is talking about. He has the car dialed in correctly. He doesn't think the problem is the alignment because of the pulling not being consistent. His only thought is maybe the gear box is binding. I've added more oil to the box since the alignment and that didn't change anything.

I've had the car for just over a year and have not tighted the box. The steering isn't sloppy at all. My only other thought is maybe the front control arm bushings and stay rod bushings are bad enough to cause the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

RX-7 Chris wrote:I figured out the problem today. I first checked the ball joints to see if I over tightened. They were good. I had my wife wiggle the steering back and forth while I was under the car. The problem turned out to be the stay rod. The alignment guy didn't tighten the bolt on the back side when he adjusted it. Why do I even bother trying to trust an alignment guy to do his job right. Now I need to take it back in to have it rechecked because it is pulling to the left. At least it isn't changing from pulling to going straight.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

chromal

Postby chromal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14

If I could do a four-wheel alignment myself, I so would. I don't trust them, they could do anything, including putting your car out of alignment during the 'check' to justify a service. I guess I'm just not trusting... But that's not home garage equipment, alas.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14

I generally get my alignments done at the Brakes Plus at Palmer Park and Powers, though I have also had them done at the Tire World across the street. Have had good results from both places.

Will definitely avoid that Goodyear.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14

Thanks for the heads up. I'll just go to Brett. Actually, I'll need Brett to mount tires on my new wheels anyway because he won't dink them up like Firestone did.

BRC

Postby BRC » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14

bring em down ill get them done right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the heads up. I'll just go to Brett. Actually, I'll need Brett to mount tires on my new wheels anyway because he won't dink them up like Firestone did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

winners compare their achievements with their goals,
while losers compare their achievements with those of other people.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14

Sweet! Thanks! Got any deals on tires too? LOL I'll PM you instead of threadjacking haha.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:14

I have a general distrust of chain shops. Unfortunately, mpst small mechanics don't have alignemnt tools. The place i used was Adam's Automotive in Castle Rock. They were really good with me, and put it on the rack 3 times to make me happy.

Return to “Good Deals and Purchase Feedback”