Key / remote / labor = $334.92

Post up any Craigslist, Ebay, or any link to a good deal we might be interested in!
RedRoadster

Key / remote / labor = $334.92

Postby RedRoadster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

That's the penkhus quote for a new key, new remote, and programming for our 3. Should I call anyone in Denver, or is this going to be generally the same everywhere?
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

RedRoadster wrote:That's the penkhus quote for a new key, new remote, and programming for our 3. Should I call anyone in Denver, or is this going to be generally the same everywhere?

Ummm like the factory key? A regular key or the switchblade?

Ebay. $50 and you can program it yourself. Very easy. That's what I did and Mazda said the Switchblade wouldn't work on an '04.

ImageImage

RedRoadster

Not a switchblade. Did I read you right that you got a switchblade that wasn't 'supposed' to work and it did?

I'm aware of the procedure for programming a third key if you have two present, but we lost one before i had a chance to make a third, so I might be out of luck in the labor regard. I was thinking of ebay'ing the key and remote and bringing them in after having it cut claiming it 'stopped working'

Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)

Flyin' Miata stuff:

FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

RedRoadster

In case anyone was curious, 52.75 for the key, 179.67 for the remote, and $102.50 for the labor.

So yeah, definitely going the ebay route. But still unsure about the 'programming' labor.

Flyin' Miata stuff:

Operator

Postby Operator » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

That's worse than my Audi fob cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they had to order it from Ingolstadt.......... I know some makers have made it had to program keys, but I would think you're Miata key would be that bad. I did this for my old Mz3. http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=55575.0

Also saw this post:
MX-5 = Miata

Still a little in the dark here about the flip, key, and chip to make it work. Guess I'll figure it out.[/color]

The flip key (G2YA762GXA) works on 95% of the Mazda line. The flip key is the portion of this set up with the chip in it.

The Flip key transmitters are where it gets fun. Each vehicle has it's own part# but can work on other vehicles sometimes.

Yes MX-5 = Miata

JMBaggie
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

Mazda key/remote prices are retarded. Retail is more than double cost. Programming can be a PITA. There's retarded steps you have to take with getting codes online from Mazda and what not. It really is time consuming sometimes. Sounds like they're charging you for an hour min. Maybe try to negotiate paying actual time. Might only take half-hour.

RedRoadster

From Operator's link, I'll stick with the separate key and remote. Granted, that was back in '06, but even the recent posts where people are cramming the remote internals into the flip key housing make it sound like something I'm not going to try.

Flyin' Miata stuff:

GR-8

Yeah I did the switchblade key. Mazda of lakewood and burt techs said it won't work on an '04 and that they have tried it already. Worked no problem first shot.

Do you have a Valet Key? I have to look in the manual for programming another key again but I think you can use the valet key aswell to program. But it sounds like you don't even have that.

Id just buy the key and fob online. Program the Fob yourself then go in saying you lost your key so you grabbed your spare and it didn't work. Luckily you found your main key. That way they don't wonder why its Band New looking.

ImageImage

Operator

Postby Operator » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

Yeh I got my key from here: http://onlinemazdaparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214264 back in 2006 and just gave them my VIN and they cut it for me.
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

You don't have to lie to the dealer to get them to program your remote for you. They are taking your money after all. :dom2:

GR-8

dommo_g wrote:You don't have to lie to the dealer to get them to program your remote for you. They are taking your money after all. :dom2:

The idea there is that maybe they'll do it for free cause it was a spare and just didn't work. Atleast that was my thinking behind it.

$100+ just to hook the car to a computer and open close the door a few times. I don't know the process required when only one key is available but I can't see it taking no more than 10min.

ImageImage

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14

We bought the car new, but I seem to recall only receiving two keys, and no valet key. If you were a valet key, where would you be hiding?

Flyin' Miata stuff:

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14

RedRoadster wrote:We bought the car new, but I seem to recall only receiving two keys, and no valet key. If you were a valet key, where would you be hiding?

In a kitchen/office/dresser drawer? :lol:

ImageImage

Bl1nD_RX

Postby Bl1nD_RX » Mon May 09, 2011 9:14

yea man get a key from ebay. uncut/un-programed is like 40 bucks. im gonna be doing that myself this week. ill letcha know what cutting/programing costs when i get it
2005 WWP RX-8 - Touring Package - AEM CAI

"I dare you to keep up with me."

Number2

Postby Number2 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:14

Bl1nD_RX wrote:yea man get a key from ebay. uncut/un-programed is like 40 bucks. im gonna be doing that myself this week. ill letcha know what cutting/programing costs when i get it

keep us posted. A switchblade key would be cool.
"Littering, and?..."

Return to “Good Deals and Purchase Feedback”