MAC Autosport - Coming across sketch again....

Post up any Craigslist, Ebay, or any link to a good deal we might be interested in!
reconbygod12

Postby reconbygod12 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:14

i dont want to sound lke a dick or anything,b ut i mean maybe if you went off on the wrong foot their taking their sweet time though i know some other car places down here and what they've done to people sounds the same though if they dont liek you or anyhting they might treat your stuff like shit or just take their sweet *** time on it
2008 wrx sedan-new love
09 cwp mazdaspeed 3 GT-gone
04 mazda 6s-gone

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:14

reconbygod12 wrote:i dont want to sound lke a dick or anything,b ut i mean maybe if you went off on the wrong foot their taking their sweet time though i know some other car places down here and what they've done to people sounds the same though if they dont liek you or anyhting they might treat your stuff like shit or just take their sweet *** time on it

You don't sound like a dick, but a bit like you just had your first beer. =)

But no, in all seriousness... since I'm guessing your presumption is with me.... there was no wrong foot at all. I called Bill, and explained the issue as I was aware of it, and asked him if this sounds like something they can find and repair, and he said yes. He told me when and where to bring it in, and I was there spot-on. I brought it in, let them do their thing, and spent maybe 2 hours with them (patiently and quietly waiting, and answering all their questions when asked...). And when it was clear that the car needed to be left, so goes the story...

From the tone of the email (that I am now assuming) you read, I sure hope I don't come across as somebody who is impatient or unreasonable, or otherwise starts off interactions with an intent to seem immediately demanding. I make my livelyhood from being a technical professional, and solving problems for my clients, and I assure you it translates forward when I'm off my clock and instead a client of others.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

reconbygod12

i was just throwing that idea out because heard of a place called upp down here in teh sprngs doing that to some soldiers on fort carson, co and rippng them off so i threw an assumption of possibilites, but i figure their busy and just rather do what theri good at subis and evos haha
2008 wrx sedan-new love

04 mazda 6s-gone

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:14

It's all good. I'm just frustrated, I'm sure you know how it is....

On a better note, I got my reply from Bill tonight. We're moving back in the right direction hopefully, and it seems like a fix is maybe on the near horizon. With obviously a few more specifics laid out on the table on my part.

Stay tuned...
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

reconbygod12

haha complimentary tuning should be in store for your wait :D
2008 wrx sedan-new love

04 mazda 6s-gone

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14

So now that they've drilled down to the problem, I need some help from you guys, that are in the know!

Apparently my Mazda OEM boost solenoid is dying, and they recommend to have it replaced with a manual boost controller. In particular, the Hallman RX-Pro.

The thing that I'm being told however, is that if they install this MBC, I pretty much must have some dyno tuning done, to get the boost set properly. This of course will cost extra money for dyno time and tuning.

What I want to know is if these MBCs don't just have a way to set a more "general" operating range, so-to-speak. If at all possible, I just want the part to be replaced, and configured to run at whatever the spec OEM settings were, for my Mazda boost solenoid. I don't care if I'm not making *ideal* power, or if setting the boost w/out dyno tuning will have me losing out on potential performance, I just want it to work at (or around) whatever the OEM levels were.

Are they telling me the truth here? Does an MBC have to have dyno tuning for proper function?
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14

Do you have a boost gauge installed already? If so, I would say set the MBC to stock boost levels and let it be. I don't see why you'd have to have it tuned if it will be at stock boost. I mean, all you're doing is replacing the way to control boost right? If you were going to be increasing boost by a bit I would say you would need a tune, but you'd also need to do some other upgrades too I would imagine.

~Barn~

Well I have a Cobb AP. I figure that I could get the MBC installed, and then just put one of my off the shelfs back on, assuming that things are more-or-less "back to normal".

Will having the MBC in place, superseed the Cobb's ability to tune, and crank up the boost?
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

~Barn~

Welp... I ended up just making a decision, and having MAC get me an OEM boost solenoid from Mazda. The Hallman sounds like a neat part, but obviously more suited for dedicated performance tuning, and not my particular scenario.

I like being able to jump between off-the-shelf maps, or even a tweaked map with the Cobb AP, and not having to worry about a manual boost setting, interfering.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14

Good idea. If you want it to act like stock, you need to use the stock boost solenoid. An MBC is set at one boost level and that's it. It won't adjust based on what gear you're in or load or anything, and takes away the AP's ability to control boost levels. It would absolutely change the way the car drives, so if you want it to act like it did before, you're doing the right thing just getting another oem boost solenoid.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

~Barn~

Thanks for the feedback, Eric!
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14

Good stuff. Glad to hear its coming along. (Good choice going with the OEM, I'd be the same way...)
one and one makes two, together we are free

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14

I'm glad you got the OEM boost solenoid, replacing it with a MBC is a band-aid solution IMO. The factory boost control system FAR exceeds what any simple ball and spring MBC can do, let alone what even advanced aftermarket EBC's can do. OEM boost control logic on 2000+ year vehicles are always better, until you exceed the system.

Also, you don't need dyno tuning for an MBC, they are trying to get some cash from you. As long as you run stock boost, there's no reason for a re-tune. With any aftermarket boost controller, manual or electric, it takes time and trail/error to setup properly, but you don't need a dyno to do it, albeit it with a dyno it's easier and safer (not breaking speed laws)
:eek:

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14

Glad to hear theyre finally getting somewhere....
2013 FRS

~Barn~

Right on guys... This forum, and all of your knowledge is a great resource, and this thread is Exhibit A. !

In addition to the whole MBC situation, they also wanted me to ditch my Synapse BPV for an HKS part, citing a superior design, and suggesting that I'm leaking boost with the Synapse piece. But all of my Cobb logging that I've done over the past year, has shown that that I'm holding boost pressure just fine. Whether I'm in stock config, or tuned up to some of the 19psi maps... Wastegate Duty hasn't been spiked either.

Oh well.... Caveat emptor!
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Return to “Good Deals and Purchase Feedback”