ProjectBlack

Introduce yourself! How did you hear about us?
ProjectBlack

ProjectBlack

Postby ProjectBlack » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14

Hi Everyone!

About 8 years ago, I was pretty heavily into imports. Mostly Honda's, then I got a job that required a different type of vehicle. I ended up with a Pro5 (named Missy The Mazda) because of the hatch, it was senseable, sporty, and got the good mileage. I was also talked out of the manual transmission by a coworker because of the amount of driving that was required, so I'm stuck with the 4-speed w/ tiptronics. I am the original owner and drove it off the lot. It is a 2003 with about 150K on it. I was looking around at all kinds of new cars, but decided that was an unnecessary expense to impose on my family...

...sooooooo, I decided to show the Pro5 some well deserved love. Below is my list of upgrades to start ProjectBlack. I am open to opinions, and tips, but please be nice. It's been quite a while since I have been in the scene, but I think I'm making some good choices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-SHORT-RAM-MAZDA-PROTEGE-L4-99-03-RED-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aProtege5QQhashZitem35b16c5e42QQitemZ230609935938QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories AEM SRI - [color="red"]DONE - SRI[/color]

http://www.eracingzone.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OBXMAZDA-10 - OBX Header - [color="red"]DONE[/color]

Catted mid pipe - [color="red"]DONE[/color]

Megan cat back...[color="red"]DONE[/color]

NO KIT just straighten body.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-7-Motegi-Traklite1-Black-Wheel-Rim-s-5x114-3-5-114-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2311167629QQitemZ150610540073QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories...Motegi Traklites 17x7, they're affordable, they are about 6 lbs lighter each than the MR116, and they have a lip.

http://www.hopupracing.com/toilse1dradh11.html - Tokico Blues (HP's) - [color="red"]DONE[/color]

and...

http://www.carbonfiberhoods.net/vis-mazda-protege-5-0203-4dr-oem-carbon-fiber-hood-p-1706.html - OEM Carbon Hood - EVO not very good for Colorado weather...

It will most likely need to be done over time, but I can't wait. Please, if you are experienced with these upgrades on this car share your story.

Thank you,

Steve

(stash)

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14

Welcome
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14

Welcome! Post some pictures!
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

ProjectBlack

Postby ProjectBlack » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14

I was on 247 for the last few months. I didn't realize there was a Colorado Mazda Club forum.

Updates...Part 1
Here are some of my progression pictures...

Night shade for the markers!

Side markers installed...

Bake and paint headlight bezles(sp?)
I'm happy with the way this turned out, along with the headlight restoration.

So here's the new AEM SSRI (Super Short Ram Intake). Fits perfect without contact on the master cylinder.

Hehehe...Nice, the headers are cool too!

Showed Black some love today, so took some pics for the thread. Yes, they are photoshoped for color (and to hide the body flaws! LOL!).

Well, here it is. It's a little ricey, but I left the tip silencer on it so it's not too bad. The goods...
EMPTY!
Test fit...
Only real issue was this metal line (not sure what it is, but definitely necessary), just took the header off hooked it up and bolted everything back down.
Header, Cat, and Megan installed. I never realized the size of the stock muffler JEEZE, it left a huge gaping hole underneath!!! LOL!
After the first test run, the header turned GOLD! Totally pimpin! LOL!

Well, hopefully you can hear it well. I thought this came out pretty good for sound quality. I like video stuff too, so I dressed it up a little! LOL!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdgvHgIhPZ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdgvHgIhPZ4[/ame]
:8a115dc: NAH...just furious! :279129bf:

ProjectBlack

Part 2

Fog light mod...with parking lights...
Head on...

Non-fowler set up...

Red LED interior (totally non-functional). I just love black and red...

Here's the damage on the bumper...
Here's the new bumper...better get MAACO (or whatever) LOL! Maybe should have unwrapped it before the picture.
Here's the new bumper. Installation was a snap. The one thing that threw me off was the rivets that Mazda uses for the small corner mounting brackets at the bottom of the wheel well that go inside the bumper. I just clipped off the rivits and remounted the brackets on the new bumper with a nut and bolt, loctite, and shoe goo combo.

Custom license plate relocation kit!!! ...I saved a ton of weight with all the mounting hardware and basically gained 2.5 HP, it handles sooooo much better now too with better aerodynamics! ...yes...i'm kidding, but go ahead and post it in the "funniest things a ricer has ever said" section. LOL!

OK...the chrome got too janky! They're blacked out. Still debating the Protege5 emblem. I think it needs to be done as well.
Rear badges complete! This turned out better than expected. I used liquid mask to mask off the 5. I likey!

ProjectBlack

Future plans...

Flat black bumpers and side skirts (my style)
Tokico Blues (ordered and on the way)
Ibach Pro Kit Springs
Motegi mr116 17"...here's a photoshop of what is should look like with those.

For now...that's it.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14

Nice use of lightning bolts to block out the plate, lol.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

MazdaSweet3

Postby MazdaSweet3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14

its not ricey! sounds dope....very clean car man. plus u have headers which is not rice.....stock exhaust with a can is rice lol....looks great! keep up the good work
Cp-e Nano SRI
Cp-e CBE
SU rear engine mount
SU test pipe
Cobb turbo inlet
Cobb Access Port
Turbosmart BPV
Sunlight Silver edition custom fabricated shift knob(by far best mod yet)
JBL amp with 10in Alpine type R sub with custom box
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] more coming soon..............:723b3bdf:

MSP SuperStreet

Postby MSP SuperStreet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14

I was great meeting you at Street Tuner Mayhem yesterday.
Glad to see you hook-up with the local Forum.
Nice Ride, its great to see the Pro5 get some lovin.
Zoom Zoom.

ProjectBlack

Postby ProjectBlack » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14

Thanks guys! I really like the set up. The wifey and I are taking this (instead of the family wagon) to SD this summer. We'll see how she likes the exhaust. I have a bad feeling...

LOL!

ProjectBlack

Postby ProjectBlack » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14

erod550 wrote:Nice use of lightning bolts to block out the plate, lol.

Thanks! LOL! My phone has an editing program, and that's the easiest fastest way to block it out. Sometimes I wonder why I'm blocking out the plate at all. I don't plan on robbing banks any time soon, and my car is garaged constantly, so no real chance of theft...

It's funny too, because it's not like there is another identical Pro5 in Denver...

ProjectBlack

Postby ProjectBlack » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14

ProjectBlack wrote:Thanks guys! I really like the set up. The wifey and I are taking this (instead of the family wagon) to SD this summer. We'll see how she likes the exhaust. I have a bad feeling...

LOL!

Turns out the wife will be just fine! This morning, I went to Lakewood Muffler and Brake. They replaced the Megan resonator with a 3.5" diameter glass pack resonator that is about 6" longer. $110 total parts and labor. Only lost about 1/4" clearance so it won't be an issue when I get the Tokico HP Struts aka "Blues" (in the garage) and Eibach Pro Kit Springs installed. No more nasty droning or crazy cabin noise. Sounds MUUUUCCCHHH better. I'll post another vid so there is a comparison.

ProjectBlack

Postby ProjectBlack » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14

Just finished the rear bumper and side skirts in a black satin bumper paint. Front will take a bit longer than these, so I didn't have time today...

ProjectBlack

Postby ProjectBlack » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:14

Did the front bumper. Gonna need to redo it professionally eventually because of all the damn Colorado gravel. Anyway, I sanded the best I could, but if you look close, you can still see some of the pock marks. Looks much better than it did before though, so this will do for the next year or so.

MazdaSweet3

Postby MazdaSweet3 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14

OOoOOOo me likey....bout time for some new shoes ehy??
Cp-e Nano SRI

Cp-e CBE

SU rear engine mount

SU test pipe

Cobb turbo inlet

Cobb Access Port

Turbosmart BPV

Sunlight Silver edition custom fabricated shift knob(by far best mod yet)

JBL amp with 10in Alpine type R sub with custom box

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] more coming soon..............:723b3bdf:

Return to “New Member Forum”