SOLD: RX-7 FC S5 TII V-Mount *Clean* - Needs Work

List your for sale, or wanted, items here. Pictures are required for all FS items. Minimum post count of 10 for selling any item.
White TII

SOLD: RX-7 FC S5 TII V-Mount *Clean* - Needs Work

Postby White TII » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:14

SOLD
Asking $4,700 OBO.
124,828 miles on Chassis
328 miles on Rebuilt Engine

With great reluctance, I’m putting up for sale my beloved prize-winning Crystal White 1990 Mazda RX-7 S5 TII. I hope I can find someone to buy her who loves her as much as I have. It is one of very few V-Mount FC’s, and mine was one of the first. I had a lot of plans for this car, but it’s time for me to move on.

No Trades. Serious inquiries only.

I’ve spent around $35,000 on this car. I’ve put so much money into it that there is no way I’m going to recoup even a fraction of what I’ve spent on it. My loss is your gain! Priced to sell quickly, I need to get rid of it!

Before reading further, please be aware that this car will start and idle, but is not currently drivable because it needs some tuning/electrical work. It needs some time investment to get her tuned and running well again. The engine is new; most of her problems are related to the ECU installation; mechanically she’s sound. I’m still trying to get her running, but I’m listing her *as is* and not running, so the buyer will need to tow or ship her (that being said, if I do get it running I may adjust the price at my discretion, but I’m not expecting to). It also has a decent amount of other interior electrical problems; see the “bad” section below.

This price and listing also includes all the factory and aftermarket parts I’ve taken off of her or haven’t installed yet. I’ve kept pretty much everything I’ve taken off it. This incudes things like the factory A/C (was working when I took it off), emissions equipment, radiator, interior pieces, etc. There is quite a lot of stuff I’ve accumulated, so you could make some money from selling the parts. It also has most the parts to convert it back to stock if you wanted to (God forbid :)).

Why am I selling?
Several reasons, but first and foremost I’m moving and need to downsize from 2 cars to 1. I also just don’t have the time, patience, or interest to invest in it like I used to. It’s time for me to move on and find her a new home with someone who will give her the attention she deserves. It’s heartbreaking: I love this car, and don’t really want to sell her (I never thought I would), but here we are.

History
This was my very first car. I’ve owned her for the last 12 years; if I remember right I’m the third owner. Over that time, I installed most of the modifications myself (or supervised their installation), and planned out nearly every detail from beginning to end. I’ve invested a ton of money, thought, blood, sweat, and tears into her over the years, and have lots of great memoires with this car. I entered a couple of car shows and in one took home the blue ribbon for best Mazda (out of 10 or so cars, including several FDs). I’ve had many people offer to buy my car over the years, and have been told by many it’s the “nicest FC they’ve ever seen.”

For the first few years I owned her, she ran perfectly. Unfortunately, about 6-7 years ago I started to have some problems. I was in college at the time and didn’t have the time or money to fully invest in fixing her. I tried for few years to fix it myself here and there, but didn’t have a lot of luck; I went through 2 ECU setups (Megasquirt and Haltech) and 2 engine rebuilds but she still wasn’t running great; I just couldn’t get it to run smoothly.

To make a very long and painful story short, I hired a mechanic named Don Walker (stay away) 3 years ago to fix it. He insisted on installing an AEM and reworking the engine electronics from the bottom up. After he had it for more than two and a half years continuously, and I gave him a lot of money, he effectively abandoned the car and moved out of state without completing the project. I towed it home and have been trying to pick up the pieces ever since, but haven’t been able to get it running myself. Honestly, after getting burned by him, I’m not too keen on hiring someone else to fix it (and dumping a bunch more money), which is one of the reasons I’m selling it now, since I don’t have the time or interest to fix it myself.

The Good
  • It’s a real, original Crystal White S5 TII; many people agree this is the most desirable model that the FC ever came in. Manual transmission, of course.
  • I’ve always taken very good care of her: regular washing and waxing, and replacing the oil every 3000 miles or less, etc.
  • As long as I’ve owned it I’ve kept the exterior, engine, and interior immaculate and clean to the best of my ability.
  • I have receipts/records for pretty much everything I’ve ever done to her.
  • Because it’s an S5 TII, it’s got some nice options. Power steering, black leather interior, power windows, sun roof, security system (stock), and CD player (aftermarket). Still smells like a new car inside.
  • Transmission works perfectly; no grinds or issues.
  • The engine is brand new; has approximately 300 miles on it. It has Goopy seals and the guy who rebuilt me assured me it doesn’t need as long a break-in period as stock seals and already has fully broken in compression.
  • The V-Mount intercooler setup is stunning and always draws crowds, praise, “oohs,” and “ahs”.
  • Paint and body are in relatively good condition for being 25 years old. Front clip was repainted a few years ago. A real head turner, trust me. You’ll be hard pressed to find a cleaner S5 TII with moderate mods.
  • It sounds truly amazing when it’s running; I’ll probably miss that the most.
  • Almost all the work has been done; the car is very near completion and only needs a little more work to be (in my opinion) the perfectly modded FC.
  • Capable of 400-500whp on pump gas.
  • Tires have very low mileage on them and are practically new. That being said, because it hasn’t been driven a lot in the last few years, there is some cracking along the edges that should be checked out.
  • Have brand new Hawk HPS brake pads and Powerslot rotors ready to be installed. Also has a brand new battery in it.

The Bad
I’m gonna be brutally honest here—I want you to know what you’re getting. It definitely needs some work to be perfect.
  • As I said, the car doesn’t drive currently (only starts and idles). It needs some electric and wiring work (e.g. some wires aren’t connected to anything, or are not connected well), and needs a tune. But should have all the parts it needs. It has a couple weird gremlins too; like for example the engine won’t turn off most the time unless you pull up the parking brake (has to do with ECU wiring).
  • It has trouble with cooling in traffic and on dynos, especially in the summer. You have the watch the temperature carefully to avoid overheating. The main reason for this is that it needs more ducting and an air splitter for the V-Mount. But when its moving it cools perfectly (better than stock).
  • The rear wing needs to be repainted; the paint is peeling/bubbling badly (see pic).
  • Paint has some dents, chips, and “dirtying”, but nothing too major. See for example the picture of the rear bumper.
  • There is some minor hail damage in a couple places.
  • The driver’s door has some damage near the door handle (see pic), It also has some dents and paint chips.
  • The chrome wheels have various amounts of oxidation (see pic). They can be rescued; with some chrome polish and elbow grease they’d be good as new.
  • Most the stock gauges aren’t working except the speedo (no gas, oil pressure, tachometer). Lost them during AEM install at some point.
  • Interior is mostly in good shape, but the leather seats are cracking. The driver’s seat is in particularly bad shape (exposed foam, see pic). But it’s purely cosmetic; they still feel great.
  • The driver’s door lock only works from the inside. Because of this, you have to unlock the car from the passenger’s side and reach through to unlock the driver’s door. Also, both the driver’s and passenger’s door handles are a little loose on the outside.
  • The passenger’s mirror has a chunk missing from it.
  • The front air dams above oil cooler are missing (mechanic lost them).
  • Rear wiper doesn’t work.
  • Front wipers only work on 1 speed and blades need to be replaced.
  • Power windows and sunroof work but are really slow and sometimes need help.
  • Reverse lights don’t work.
  • The AEM wideband gauge isn’t turning on, but my mechanic said it was all wired up and working at some point.
  • Heater/climate control doesn’t work. I have a logicon to replace the current one; I’m pretty sure that’s the problem.
  • Has a minor oil leak.
  • The turbo is fine (AFAIK), but leaks some oil into the intercooler; the oil seals are probably weakening. My mechanic said it should be fine but could probably use a rebuilt in the next 30K miles.

Power Output
I don’t know the current horsepower or torque output since its not running, but when running she should be in the low 300s on low boost at the very least. I did have a dyno run with a few less mods than I have now on about 11psi that came in around 325whp. I built the car to be capable of 400-500whp on pump gas.

Modifications (Highlights)
I have a ton of mods. For the full list, please go to my website. Here are the highlights:
  • AEM S1 Full Standalone EMS/ECU
  • Aggressive Street Port with Goopy seals and FD corners
  • Racing Beat 3.15” Turboback Exhaust
  • Completely custom V-Mount Intercooler Setup. 23x12x3 Intercooler, 2.5” pipes, 4” intake, 27.5x15x3” Griffin Radiator, HKS SSQV
  • Turbonetics TS04 60-1 Turbo with 4” inlet, 2.5” outlet, and .81AR turbine
  • Fully Adjustable Ground Control/KONI Coilovers with HKS adjustable Plates/Mounts; lowered a couple inches
  • Racing Beat 8lb Aluminum Flywheel, ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate, ACT 6-Puck Performance Race Disc (low mileage on them)
  • AEM/Greddy Gauges (Wideband, Boost, Water Temp, Oil Temp)
  • Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator with Kevlar lines
  • Denso 720/1600cc Injectors
  • Shine Auto Project Vented Hood (I was the one who got them to make it in the first place for my V-Mount, I have the first one; haha).
  • OEM S5 Turbo Front Spoiler
  • 35% Window Tint (very high quality)
  • Custom FTP lights
For the full list of mods, please go to my website.

I’m posting a lot of pictures in the next post. Please let me know what questions you have.

PM me for my phone number. All other questions or comments should be made in this thread, not in PM.
Last edited by White TII on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:14, edited 5 times in total.
SOLD: '90 Mazda RX-7 S5 FC Turbo II - Heavily Modified: V-Mount, Big Turbo, AEM Standalone, etc - Mods
Daily Driver: 2000 GC6 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan. Stock, Blue Ridge Pearl.

White TII

Pictures

Postby White TII » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:14

EXTERIOR

ENGINE

INTERIOR

EXTRA PARTS

THE BAD

SOLD: '90 Mazda RX-7 S5 FC Turbo II - Heavily Modified: V-Mount, Big Turbo, AEM Standalone, etc - Mods
Daily Driver: 2000 GC6 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan. Stock, Blue Ridge Pearl.

White TII

Re: For Sale: RX-7 FC S5 TII V-Mount *Clean* - Needs Work

Postby White TII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:14

Tell your friends! :)

Questions? Concerns?

White TII

Postby White TII » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14

Dropping price to $7,000 OBO.

I'm open to negotiation on price and shipping (if needed).

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:14

Oh man, that's a beautiful FC. Really wish I could afford to pick it up :/ If only this whole job search thing were going a little better. Hopefully it goes to a good home!

White TII

Postby White TII » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:14

Bump

White TII

Postby White TII » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:14

Kills me to do it, but im dropping the price again to $6,500 OBO.

The car will start and idle. Just doesn't drive so well. I'm open to negotiation on price and shipping (if needed). This car will be worth almost twice my asking price when its running, this is a steal.

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:14

Tough time to sell anything at all :( You might try joining some of the FB groups related to drifting in Colorado. There's one called Drift Colorado Craigslist that's pretty popular. Most of those kids are probably too broke to buy a car as nice as yours :lol: But you never know! Some of those drift cars have a ton of money dumped into them.

White TII

Postby White TII » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:14

Alright guys, I need to get rid of this car. Can't believe I'm dropping the price again but...

Price Drop: $5,000 OBO

Priced to sell quickly. I'm pretty firm on this price but will take offers; this is already below my bottom line. My loss is your gain.

Please tell your friends :)

White TII

Postby White TII » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:14

Bump.

Wanted to say that I ran a compression test a couple weeks ago to confirm that the engine is in great shape (but still being broken in). I have videos of the compression tests and of it starting and idling if anyone is interested.

The information out there on how to do the compression test on a rotary is pretty inconsistent, so I did 2 different types of tests that yielded slightly different results:

Front Rotor: 101psi - 115psi
Rear Rotor: 108psi - 129psi

All 3 faces on both rotors are strong and consistent; no dips.

According to rotary resurrection, here's an analysis of the numbers: 115+ is like new, 100-115 is healthy, 90-100 is getting weak(1 year or less in most cases) below 90 could blow at any moment.

Keep in mind that the engine has only 328 miles and is still being broken in, and will continue to build compression over the next several hundred miles (according to Goopy who I called to double check with).

Thanks!

White TII

Postby White TII » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:14

Reluctantly...

Price Drop: $4,700 OBO. Make me an offer!

Parts alone are worth more than that!

White TII

Postby White TII » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:14

SOLD! Thanks guys for your support over the years!

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”