Wife bought some Meguiars Black Wax, figured I'd try it

Detailing tips, Pictures of your ride, Photoshop requests
Huzer

Wife bought some Meguiars Black Wax, figured I'd try it

Postby Huzer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14

Meguiars Black Wax is supposed to be good for dark/black vehicles. I washed the ST the other day and figured, why not. I've been a bit of a products snob in the past, but much like paint prep, it's about the effort put in. Thankfully, this stuff doesn't need much, although it's haze time seems to be a bit on the high side. One problem with dark cars is the unevenness that can sometimes happen (not talking about swirls). This buffed quite easily. I initially applied with the PC. I did have to break out some heavier stuff first to remove some residual markings from an overhead pigeon bombing.

I have yet (obviously) to test the durability, but I give it a B+ for ease of use/application/buffing. An A would have gone if it weren't for the product dry time. I haven't pulled the car out of the garage since I've done it, but it sure is nice and shiny. Once I get it in some natural light, I can give the shine a better review, but hey, it's a washed car, and it's only a few months old with low miles. It should shine easily/nicely. Next up will be the wife's GC.

It's not terribly expensive ( I think it was $8 at Target or Wally World, where ever my wife went) so it's worth it to give it a try if you want easily available stuff. I prefer Banana Gloss in terms of application. That stuff is easy peasy, A+.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:14

Never send the wife out for car products...never. I'd agree though (being a snob, generally speaking) that there's a tool for every job. Kudos for trying something new mitty and appreciate the review.
one and one makes two, together we are free

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:14

I still need to try Epic. I don't get the feeling that this is going to be a durable wax. It might end up along the lines of BG for durability.

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:14

I have used there white wax on my car, as well as AuroraAxela's car, and both cars turned out VERY nice. Unfortunately, its not a long lasting coat. I could tell that it had started to break down after the first rain.

_AlexTM

Postby _AlexTM » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:14

Ive found the best wax for black cars or brighter colors is Adams Polishes Buttery Wax, also the easiest application ever/removal, it makes my car looks like its still wet and you can really see the gold flake popping through without even trying to notice it. They also make the Americana paste wax that is supposed to be just insane
SOLD 2004 Mazda3 hatch

2004 Java Black Pearl Forester XT :D

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14

I've thought of picking up some Adams stuff, they actually carry it at O'Meara Ford.

How's the durability? The Megs Black Wax looks good when finished, but I don't think it'll be terribly durable. Not much of an issue as it lives in the garage now, but unless I find storage space for the Miata, it'll live outside this winter.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14

If you want a heavy duty 'shell' of protection, Epic is your product. BG is a good intermediary and hydro is your wham bam thank you mam wax.
The kDM got pummeled tonight (hail damage yay) but she (the car) got back and was beading like crazy regardless of the punishment it took. I gave her an epic treatment in spring..

All that to be said... Adams looks like a legit product and I've never had the opportunity to try them. I'm sure they put out an equally valuable wax.
one and one makes two, together we are free

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:14

The ST got divebombed again, so I detailed the ST. I had to go with a straight up polishing compound to get the residue off completely. After that, moved through the regular products (UC, Amigo, and topped it with the Black Wax). Once again, a polished/waxed car looks good. The Black Wax just isn't a durable product. I'll look to source some Epic before winter hits and get a coat on the car.

_AlexTM

Postby _AlexTM » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:14

If you're looking for a durable wax, you need to look for a poly coat sealant. It bonds with your paint and lasts up to 6 months. Which in turn is less contact with your paint cause you aren't waxing it every two weeks. Ive been using one on cars at work for the last 5 months and just bought the Adams liquid paint sealant for personal use/private business.
SOLD 2004 Mazda3 hatch

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:14

Alex, do you wax on top of the sealant? Does the sealant give it that bright glow that a good wax does?

_AlexTM

Postby _AlexTM » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:14

You can yes, in winter its helpful. The wax is the sacrificial layer essentially. Though you do need to wait until the sealant has cured. For my car im going to do 2 layers of the sealant and a wax layer maybe every month
SOLD 2004 Mazda3 hatch

Return to “Finishing Touches and Detailing”