Holy Wow

Detailing tips, Pictures of your ride, Photoshop requests
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14

Well, I started the wetsanding process on the hood. That's a TON of work. I've got about a 1' x 1' section done. However, I picked up some Prima Amigo sealant/glaze and some P21S wax. All I can say is I've never had a car look this good. I've got a few hours left before I'm done, but so far, so good. Clay bar is your friend.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huzer21 @ Sep 22 2007, 12:58 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=786]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Well, I started the wetsanding process on the hood. That's a TON of work. I've got about a 1' x 1' section done. However, I picked up some Prima Amigo sealant/glaze and some P21S wax. All I can say is I've never had a car look this good. I've got a few hours left before I'm done, but so far, so good. Clay bar is your friend.[/b]

curious to see the results... I need to wax my car again.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Anh Bi

Postby Anh Bi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14

Why are you wet sanding your hood?
I think I have seen pictures of your ride, and the paint looks fairly new.

If you are polishing your hood to get ride of swirl marks, I'd recommend Meguiars #83 or 3M rubbing compound #2 with DA polisher. Then glaze, seal and wax ^^
ImageImage
<span style="font-family:Tahoma">2002 SSM Acura RSX-S | 2004 Toyota Tacoma AWD V6 SR5 | 1994 Mazda Miata
Flickr
</span>

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anh Bi @ Sep 22 2007, 02:28 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=794]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Why are you wet sanding your hood?
I think I have seen pictures of your ride, and the paint looks fairly new.

If you are polishing your hood to get ride of swirl marks, I'd recommend Meguiars #83 or 3M rubbing compound #2 with DA polisher. Then glaze, seal and wax ^^[/b]

I believe they did some touch up paint work at the dealership and there was some overspray as a result...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6i_guy @ Sep 22 2007, 02:31 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=795]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I believe they did some touch up paint work at the dealership and there was some overspray as a result...[/b]

Yup. Nothing too horrible. After the clay wouldn't take it all off, I went ahead and pulled out the 3000 grit sandpaper. It was just a small corner of the hood, the A pillar, the trunk, and the roof above the driver's side door. I'm finally done. I'll probably toss on another coat of the wax tomorrow, but that #7 glaze/Prima Amigo/P21S combo looks really good. The clay took overspray off most of the car.

Huzer21

Finally done, started at about 9:30 this morning...took a wee bit of a break, then back at it solidly all afternoon.

Process: (since I wetsanded very minimally, I'll exclude that.)

1. Clay bar entire vehicle. I usually use Mothers, but ran out today and bought some down at the detailing shop on Broadway.
2. After that, I used Turtle Wax premium grade polish compound on areas that were wetsanded.
3. Followed by Meguiars Scratch-X on the same area.
4. Meguiars Step 2 Polish.
5. Meguiars #7 Glaze
6. Prima Amigo sealant/glaze.
7. P21S Carnauba wax. Twice.

Meguiars Plastic-X polish for the head/tail lights.
Nevr Dull went on the exhaust tips. (Damn oil using cars!)
Turtle Wax Ice for the exterior black plastic.
WD40 to get off the brake dust.

And finally, I just used a microfiber towel for the glass. I did use a random orbit buffer for some of the work, but most of it was done by hand. Thankfully, it's a small car. Right now, the 8 is resting comfortably in the garage until I'm ready to back it up. I'll post some pics tonight/tomorrow at some point. T

Anh Bi

Postby Anh Bi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14

THe mothers lub that comes with their claybar is awesome, it smells soooooo good.
I can't justify the price of their claybar tho, so I went with claymagic.

Do you get most of your supplies locally? If so what stores?

Painters Supply on Santa Fe offer a wide range of rubbing compounds, polishers, but lack in sealant and carnauba based waxes. I usually got online at autogeek.net to get my stuff, but would love to get my products locally and by the gallon.
ImageImage
<span style="font-family:Tahoma">2002 SSM Acura RSX-S | 2004 Toyota Tacoma AWD V6 SR5 | 1994 Mazda Miata
Flickr
</span>

tsx_guy

Tim, how long did that all take you? my attention span is all of 20 minutes... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anh Bi @ Sep 22 2007, 05:18 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=805]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
THe mothers lub that comes with their claybar is awesome, it smells soooooo good.
I can't justify the price of their claybar tho, so I went with claymagic.

Do you get most of your supplies locally? If so what stores?

Painters Supply on Santa Fe offer a wide range of rubbing compounds, polishers, but lack in sealant and carnauba based waxes. I usually got online at autogeek.net to get my stuff, but would love to get my products locally and by the gallon.[/b]

I'll get the name of the place for you. It's over on Broadway. I've purchased everything locally. That Mother's detail spray smells like cinnamon!

As far as time goes....the work took me about 6 hours or so.

Return to “Finishing Touches and Detailing”