Audio retailers vs, retailers that sell Audio

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
Shadowden

Audio retailers vs, retailers that sell Audio

Postby Shadowden » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14

So I was at Pep Boys toay over another matter and noticed they had a 250 W 4 channel kicker amp for 150.00. That seems like a low price. Do Pep Boys and the like get lower quality equipment than a true Audio store?

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14

don't buy a kicker amp
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14

Suggestions? a kicker was recommended to me from crutchfield:

Kicker 11DX250.1

Mono subwoofer amplifier — 250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

Maybe because I was looking at the Kicker Comp 12" sub?

RX-7 Chris

crutchfield is a rip off. take a look at amazon. I found the best price on speakers there.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Do you know if the guy with the Gold RX7 that was on here that did car audio professionally still has a store?

Still need a rec for what to look for though. I know nothing of car audio.

RX-7 Chris

My Car Blog

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:crutchfield is a rip off. take a look at amazon. I found the best price on speakers there.

Crutchfield a rip off? Thanks to crutchfield, I got the $55 worth of installation stuff (dash kit, wiring harness, antenna adapter) that if I had purchased my head unit anywhere else, I would have had to pay for separately. They may not be the best for everything, but I wouldn't call Crutchfield a rip off.
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14

Crutchfield is absolutely a ripoff. They charge full retail for everything. It'd be like buying a large TV at Best Buy (yes, Best Buy is a ripoff too). You can get way better deals on everything online. And did they tell you you were saving $55 on that stuff? Cause that's too high for just a wiring harness and dash kit for a head unit. So they're even probably ripping you off on how much they told you they were saving you. I made one purchase from Crutchfield when I was 18 and never bought from them again.

Kicker amps are awesome, as are Rockford Fosgate, but they are also some of the most expensive. My brother-in-law has been doing stereo work for nearly 20 years, ran an installation business for several of those years, though now he mainly runs a fence-building company. He used to enter competitions back in the day. He still does stereo work on the side though and I asked him about your situation. Kicker Comps are $60 and Comp VRs are $90. The difference is single voice coil vs dual voice coil.

For either sub you're going to want a 400-500 watt 2-channel amp. Most amps are rated at their output at 2 ohms, and a single voice coil sub is most likely going to be running at 4 ohms, so approximately half the power. The dual voice coil Comp VR would be able to bridge down to 2 ohms. He recommends not getting a cheapo amp, but not getting the most expensive ones either. Good name brand amps to look at that are reasonably priced are Kenwood, Sony, and Pioneer, that are in the $100-120 range.

As for boxes, he said he could build you a plain box for $60, carpeted for $100. Wiring kit is $20, and to wire everything and install the amp and sub would be $75, if you were looking for someone to do quality work for you since you aren't that familiar with car audio stuff. He's down here in the Springs and I can give you his number if you want.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Shadowden

The "box" I want, is going to be hugely expensive if someone else builds it for me, but i would appreciate running my idea for the box by him and getting reccomenations on what to put into it. I planned on building a box using fiberglass that would double as a deck covering the cargo space in my hatch. Was going to actually be some mdf with fibergalss overlay to get all the rounded shapes I want.

This may be one of those "it would be great to actually do, but so much work it never gets done" type of projects.

Would certainly be interested in having him do the wiring if he let me "help" (e.g. learn).

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14

Al is the man, definitely go to him. He knows his stuff and he'll work with you. He's a good guy to boot!

Shadowden

sent an email to Al. Always like to cover my bases.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14

I wouldn't go so far as to say Crutchfield is a rip-off....they charge retail price on their products for the most part...just like most businesses do. They're not charging a ton over retail. That would be a rip-off IMO. And the fact that they provide free install parts and good instructions is a plus for a lot of people who wouldn't normally be DIYers. There's a lot of value in that stuff for what I would imagine is a good chunk of their customers. They offer awesome customer service and technical support and their people are usually pretty knowledgeable. Someone like me and others here obviously 'know better' and have better sources. But I have no problems at all buying from Crutchfield when I can find a way to buy at a good discount off their normal prices.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14

And to answer the original question, be careful of model numbers. Make sure the COMPLETE model number is exact. There are instances where certain manufacturers will make a lower cost (lower quality) version of one of their existing products that seems identical, but the model number will be slightly different. The first I read of this was Wal Mart and Sony. Also heard of Home Depot doing it with DeWalt. Just do your due diligence as a consumer and know exactly what you're getting.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:14

i have a bose in my maxima....

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:14

Through one of my largest vendors I have access to car/marine AV stuff. I forget the brands but could check it out. You simply would not believe the markup on car audio/video. I brought in a fairly premium Pioneer deck with Ipod intergration, bluetooth phone, etc. for IIRC $120, and it was literally 3 or 4 times that everywhere else. I think the mark-up on car stereo/video stuff can be as high as about 200%, which is why they can "blow the stuff out" and still make a fair bit of bank. I believe I buy most of this stuff at around 45 points back, some higher some lower. If you want, I can see what my vendors have that you might want and how much it would cost. I know they carry Pioneer, Audiovox(never liked thier stuff) and Crossfire(never needed thier stuff) and the same Metra install kits that everyone else does. Let me know if you, or anyone else, want me to look into something for you and I will be glad to check it out. It helps if you have specific part numbers or requests.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

Return to “Interior Modifications”