Fiberglass Sub Enclosure

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
rx8ghost

Postby rx8ghost » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:14

I think I'm gonna take a wild step and make a fiberglass sub enclosure for my 8 but I don't really have the necessary tools such as a dremmel. Any help?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:
Veilside D1-GT Body kit, Axailflow Short Shifter, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Proshift Gauges, Greddy Turbo Kit w/ Cobb AccessPORT, TurboXS exhaust w/ race pipe, CarPC, Synapse BOV, AEM Intake

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:14

Lee knows a bit about this and Josh (Freezing Cx7) used to do car audio installs.
I am in a similar boat, wanting to do a custom box in my trunk, found a place
that offered a decent price to do it, now I just need to find the $$$... ;)
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

rx8ghost

Postby rx8ghost » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:14

Well I've decided that I wanna do as much as possible myself but being a newb I don't have to proper tools. Maybe I'll just go out and buy a dremel. I'll probably need it sometime in the future anyways...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:
Veilside D1-GT Body kit, Axailflow Short Shifter, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Proshift Gauges, Greddy Turbo Kit w/ Cobb AccessPORT, TurboXS exhaust w/ race pipe, CarPC, Synapse BOV, AEM Intake

memphis

Postby memphis » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:14

you dont really need a dremel to do a fiberglass box... just wood (MDF is best), fiberglass resin, fiberglass cloth or other material thats similar to t-shirt cloth, bondo, sandpaper, sanding block, (or if you have an electric sander that would be much easier, but you still need to hand sand to..) tin foil, masking tape, lots of time and patients,,, theres a few other small things, but thats the gist of what you need..

Doing it your self I think is the best way to do it.. not only can you say you did it all your self, you also make it personal and have the fact of knowning you created it all yourself instead of paying someone a butt load of money to have it done for you.. I feel its more satifying to show off your car that way.. Just keep in mind, that when you first start venturing off into doing this,, that the first few times isnt going to be easy and your not gonna come out with a perfect piece. It takes time and patients to learn how to do it correctly.. If I were you , I would do alot of research and read articles on the net about fiberglassing.. There are many websites out there, specially car audio sites that can lead you in the right direction into finding help on how to fiberglass...

Im just about to start my own project for the winter/spring time, and Im gonna be redoing my sub box cover and amp rack in fiberglass and possibly redoing my doors aswell..

So good luck to you and just remember, its not easy to do, but just have fun with it and get creative and dont stress out if it doesnt work out right the first time..

rx8ghost

Thanks for the advice. That's what I've gathered from the websites I've read but it's good to hear it from a real person. One question though. I've never seen mention of tin foil before so what do you use it for?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:

memphis

well let me ask you this, are you planning on building a square box and then fiberglassing it,, or are you planning on building an enclosure the custom fits your trunk like in the corner or something? If you do the custom job, then what you need to do is create the base of the box first... you do it this way.....

1: You use the masking tape to cover the entire area you are going to have the box placed and having it over lap a good 6inches to be safe of any spillage of the resin which is the main purpose to why your putting down tap,,it will probide a barrier between the trunk and the fiberglass so that the panel can be removed easily. Its even better to have some plastic drop cloth to cover the other areas of your trunk aswell to be extra safe. Basically it makes it so that you can remove the box later and not do damage to the trunk or the carpet so you want to cover the entire area you think you will be placing fiberglass on.

2: Now comes the tin foil. Use the high grade stuff,, the heavy duty crap that restaurants use, it will make it alot easier. you want to once again cover the area of the floor where the fiberglass is to be laid... Remeber, what you are creating here is basically the bottom of the box and from there you build the sides and the face of the box where the sub hole is cut out... The reason for the foil is to once again, create an extra barrier from the fiberglass and the carpet and also the help with removing the enclosure. Its best to use some type of spray clue to help the foil stay in place on the tap while your doing the fiberglass.

3: Once you have all that set up, then its time to start glassing... lay down strips of fiberglass mat and start soaking it in the resin.. its best to use smaller strips of mat cause it will creat a stronger bond if they are overlapping alot. I would say do 3-4 layers of mat but more is always better,, allowing a good 20-30 mins of drying time inbetween each layer. Then after you have done the last layer,, let it set up over night or for alteast 6-8 hrs for it to fully cure.

4: After its fully dried you can then remove the whole panel from your car.. It may be difficult cause the fiberglass may be sticking to the tape or the foil a lil, but just pry if up the best you can to jar it loose.. at this point you can remove all the tape and foil.

5: After its out of your car, you need to trim off the edges of the fiberglass to start shaping your base of the box. Becareful not to cut to much off.. You are basically making the bottom panel of what is to be the final box you will have. After its trimed up and the edges are sanded down a lil, place the box back in your car and test fit it...
If all fits well, then your on to the next step of building the sides and the top of your box. And from here there are many options to go to so that is up to you where you wanna take it.. But what I just said is basically the gist of how to start the base of a custom enclosure..

Oh and one more thing to remind you of... when you do this,, try and do it a well ventalated area and if possible have a fan blowing to,, fiberglass resin smells like ass and it will make your car stink for a few days or weeks after you done LOL... soo I hope this kinda helps and good luck to ya.. But just remember this to.. Im also new at this myself so if I miss lead you in any way, Im sorry. GOOD LUCK!!!

rx8ghost

Wow man that has to be the most understandable explanination I've ever read. Everyone wants to get technically with it and explain each little detail and it gets way too hard to follow. As far as the tin foil that's what I was assuming but I didn't wanna be wrong and mess something up so thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:14

nice write up dude....looking to do this myself in the near future as well, perhaps a fibreglass meet? :lol:
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

rx8ghost

That sounds like a great idea to me. We could have a camp out while we let everything sit over night. Roast marshmellows while singing camp fire songs. Or not, just an idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX 8 Ghost @ Jan 7 2008, 07:41 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=16798]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
That sounds like a great idea to me. We could have a camp out while we let everything sit over night. Roast marshmellows while singing camp fire songs. Or not, just an idea.[/b]

not sure what campfires and marshmallows have to do with building fiberglass sub boxes but okay.. :)
there there are at least 3 of us who are looking to to do this, all of us appear to be newbs, I know we
have a few persons here who are more knowledgeable in the area that might be able to lend a hand, etc....

just a thought. It might be hard to do give all our locations...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

rx8ghost

Yea that is true. Perhaps we can work something out this weekend.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:

memphis

Well Im hoping to get started on my projects here pretty soon. And when I do, Im planning on taking pics through out the process and hopefully can do a write up on it.. Only bad thing for my projects though is its gonna take me alot longer than most to get them finished.. With working two jobs and the the wife and kid, its kinda hard to find alot of time to do much. So a few hours here, a few there and after 5mths I should hopefully be done in time for NOPI... I really wanna good show piece this year and after doing an install like this it should be.. Im planning on doing a good amount of acent lighting in the set up to with plexi everywhere.. So hopefully all goes well and Im actually able to complete what Im set out to do..

rx8ghost

Well I'm not shooting for NOPI but 5 months sounds about right for me :o And I'm definitely doing some plexi with neon too I just know exact what yet. I think I'm gonna draw up plans tom and if I do I'll post them to see what you guys think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:

tsx_guy

this weekend is out for me, but like Memphis said I expect this to be done in series of steps...no rush when I got time....
not looking forward to the resin smell in my car tho.... :lol:
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

LM

Postby LM » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14

A little bit off topic, but I just found a great picture of my custom sub install...

It's the second picture down...
http://www.hicountrycustoms.com/miscpics.htm

Return to “Interior Modifications”