Deck Swap. Stock Stereo out. Pioneer in.

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
~Barn~

Deck Swap. Stock Stereo out. Pioneer in.

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14

So I've always been a fan of Pioneer car decks, and I'm thinking of buying a new one for my MS6. I'm become spoiled by having integrated iPod controls for my other car, and although the stock Mazda unit is okay if you're still using CDs, I just can stand having my music library unusable. I'm definitely not going the "FM Transmitter" way; and every so-called iPod integrator for the Speed6 is lacking smooth functionality, IMO.

So.... Does anybody here have first-hand experience with ditching their stock deck on their MS6, and replacing it with an aftermarket one?

Obviously I'm going to lose my steering wheel audio controls, which I've resigned myself too, but what happens with the information display bar that normally shows stereo and climate control info?

Does it display gibberish info after the swap? Does it just not show stereo info anymore, but climate/timestamp info is still displayed?

How about the actual removal of the deck itself? It it a simple harness connection with a fitment kit, or....?

I'm only getting all 20-questions about this, because putting a Pioneer deck into my A4 was a top-shelf headache, and required crazy custom wiring to continue to use the stock (also Bose) speakers.

Thanks in advance everybody!

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14

There's the Metra kit: http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_203&products_id=416 for the 6.

The new dash kit has the following features:

* Recessed DIN opening
* Metra's patented snap-in ISO mount support system
* ISO trim ring included
* Built-in legs extend rearward from bottom of DIN opening for added rear support
* Retains full functionality of the factory HVAC system
* Air recirculate control
* Rear window defrost
* A/C compressor freeze protection
* Settings are recalled when car is stopped and restarted
* All controls are backlit for easy viewing
* Incorporates factory style hazard lights switch
* No cutting or splicing the factory wiring
* OEM-Style switches retain the factory look and feel
* Customize the text on your car's LCD!

~Barn~

I like! Definitely looks a lot more "spec", than what I was picturing in my head, for a single DIN replacment in that big trapazoidial opening.

This re-fit kit aside though, I'm still curious if the actual hook-up between the new stereo, and factory wiring is straight forward? Is it just a Mazda Harness, and that's enough to incorporate all the factory Bose speakers, or are the Car Toys guys going to start telling me that I need to replace all the speakers too?

I'm guessing that it is pretty straight forward, just by virtue of the fact that this re-kit product exists at all, but then again if somebody has actually done it, then they'll know for sure. (?)

Either way though, thanks for that link. Looks like a sweet setup for an aftermarket deck. :thumbsup:

MazdaGurl

Postby MazdaGurl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14

There is also an iPod adapter you can get. I have one for my 3, and I love it. Maybe I'll remember the name of the brand by the time I meet you tomorrow, that's if you're interested.

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

Greek8: I swear Angie has some sort of freak car.

~Barn~

MazdaGurl wrote:There is also an iPod adapter you can get. I have one for my 3, and I love it. Maybe I'll remember the name of the brand by the time I meet you tomorrow, that's if you're interested.

Yeah, lemme know what you find . I was thinking a full deck replacement, just because all the adapters that I've seen so far for the MS6, have been less than sparkling. They integrate the iPod to some degree, but you either have to control everything through the device still, or if it does integrate to the Mazda controls, the basic functions are wonky, and the LCD display doesn't show anything useful like track or title name, but rather these silly "Playlist #s".

Anyway... I'll take a look-see at what you got and hopefully it'll look nicer. Otherwise I'll start shoppin' around.

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14

PM me if you want me to get you a price. I'm not only a member, but a vendor. I saved Jimmy a pile of cash on his RX-8 kit.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

firestoned

Postby firestoned » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14

the metra kit works seamlessly with mazdaspeed 6 interface. The only problem is it doesnt match the factory interior. Id recommend having a paint shop paint it to match first

~Barn~

firestoned wrote:the metra kit works seamlessly with mazdaspeed 6 interface. The only problem is it doesnt match the factory interior. Id recommend having a paint shop paint it to match first

Thanks for the heads up.

goldrocket wrote:PM me if you want me to get you a price. I'm not only a member, but a vendor. I saved Jimmy a pile of cash on his RX-8 kit.

So you're saying you're a Metra kit vendor? I'll let you know if I decide to go that way. Firestoned's comments have me a little worried about the interior match now, but it still looks like a pretty nice piece.

~Barn~

BTW Fire, I just looked at your "My Garage" link, and your car is filthy! That's some crazy work you've put into it!

Are you just doing some advertising for Eclipse, or are you affiliated with them somehow?

GoToTheJoe

Postby GoToTheJoe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14

Eric (Firestoned) is owner, operator, and all around good guy of Eclipse Tinting
--brian

2006 MazdaSpeed6 GT ** Whitewater Pearl Mica ** 5Zigen Pro Racer ZR+520 Wheels - Ceramic Bronze ** Navigation ** Integrated Sirius Radio ** Black and White Leather Interior ** 18% window tint ** Clear Bra ** Moonroof ** Wheel Locks ** MazdaSpeed CAI ** VG Sharkfin ** CF MazdaSpeed License Plate Holder ** Cargo Net ** Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 225/45r/18 ** Lamin-x Charcoal Headlight Protector **

MazdaGurl

Postby MazdaGurl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14

~Barn~ wrote:Yeah, lemme know what you find . I was thinking a full deck replacement, just because all the adapters that I've seen so far for the MS6, have been less than sparkling. They integrate the iPod to some degree, but you either have to control everything through the device still, or if it does integrate to the Mazda controls, the basic functions are wonky, and the LCD display doesn't show anything useful like track or title name, but rather these silly "Playlist #s".

Anyway... I'll take a look-see at what you got and hopefully it'll look nicer. Otherwise I'll start shoppin' around.

I know for a fact the adapter works with the MS6 because I bought it from one of our members who had it on his MS6. Only reason he sold it is because he swapped out the stock. Like I said, I'll try to remember the name of it by tomorrow.

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

Greek8: I swear Angie has some sort of freak car.

memphis

Postby memphis » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14

hmmm.. not trying to thread jack here.. but I have a metra kit for sale.. not sure if it will work on a MS6 seeing that I had a regular 6.. but still, I do have one for sale..

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14

~Barn~ wrote:So I've always been a fan of Pioneer car decks, and I'm thinking of buying a new one for my MS6. I'm become spoiled by having integrated iPod controls for my other car, and although the stock Mazda unit is okay if you're still using CDs, I just can stand having my music library unusable. I'm definitely not going the "FM Transmitter" way; and every so-called iPod integrator for the Speed6 is lacking smooth functionality, IMO.

So.... Does anybody here have first-hand experience with ditching their stock deck on their MS6, and replacing it with an aftermarket one?

Obviously I'm going to lose my steering wheel audio controls, which I've resigned myself too, but what happens with the information display bar that normally shows stereo and climate control info?

Does it display gibberish info after the swap? Does it just not show stereo info anymore, but climate/timestamp info is still displayed?

How about the actual removal of the deck itself? It it a simple harness connection with a fitment kit, or....?

I'm only getting all 20-questions about this, because putting a Pioneer deck into my A4 was a top-shelf headache, and required crazy custom wiring to continue to use the stock (also Bose) speakers.

Thanks in advance everybody!

Look for Part Number: SWI-PS:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Steering%20Wheel%20Interface

firestoned

Postby firestoned » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14

~Barn~ wrote:BTW Fire, I just looked at your "My Garage" link, and your car is filthy! That's some crazy work you've put into it!

Are you just doing some advertising for Eclipse, or are you affiliated with them somehow?

Thanks for the compliment, and Eclipse is my company. Come see me if you need tint, vinyl work, headlight/taillight tinting, or help in any way with your speed... I have done the work on my car myself, so I could probably lend a hand in most of your ventures.. :D

turbo99jetta

Postby turbo99jetta » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14

also, with the steering wheel controls, there are modules out there you can get to integrate them with the deck you buy as well. Most of them just require that whatever deck you get, has a remote control. (used to be an MECP installer for best buy) :-)

Return to “Interior Modifications”