Painting Door Panels?

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14

Any body now of a good way to paint interior door panels. I want to paint the inserts in my 8 blue. Sucks that the only interior colors are red, yellow, and brown. I would get them re-wrapped but I figure if there's a good way to paint them why not save a little money. If iti doesn't come out nie then I'll get them wrapped.

ImageImage

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Oct 16 2007, 04:32 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=5942]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Any body now of a good way to paint interior door panels. I want to paint the inserts in my 8 blue. Sucks that the only interior colors are red, yellow, and brown. I would get them re-wrapped but I figure if there's a good way to paint them why not save a little money. If iti doesn't come out nie then I'll get them wrapped.[/b]

hmm no idea you can try the dupli color paint they have at like auto zone then use a clear coat over it. you would have to take it all apart to have it alone when you paint it. might be a pain but i have no idea how it would turn out. i did my center black with clear coat and it worked great. there is a pic in another thread

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14

Careful! Take your time with the prep or an interior paint job will look like ass. High wear areas like door panels can quickly wear through and you're left with an interior that looks horrible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OpacRX @ Oct 16 2007, 04:38 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=5944]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
hmm no idea you can try the dupli color paint they have at like auto zone then use a clear coat over it. you would have to take it all apart to have it alone when you paint it. might be a pain but i have no idea how it would turn out. i did my center black with clear coat and it worked great. there is a pic in another thread[/b]

Your talking about the silver strips on the center console right? That came out clean.
I'm just wondering if I should do it with paint. i'm afraid of wear and how good the paint or even good primer would stick and last on the Vinyl.

ImageImage

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14

I painted the dash of my car. It looked good for about two years before any wear started coming through.
I first tryed duplicolor with no luck. I ended up using a plastic paint for painting things like lawn chairs, worked better.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Oct 16 2007, 04:55 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=5951]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Careful! Take your time with the prep or an interior paint job will look like ass. High wear areas like door panels can quickly wear through and you're left with an interior that looks horrible.[/b]

Yeah it takes time to get it right but if you do it right it should be fine. on the doors im not sure what i would do. i like the black on mine so i dont got to worry about it but people that do i'm not sure i never thought about it the center console is not the same as the doors so it might not work with paint.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:14

OK it's 12:50 A.M. and this past week I've been really thinking about doing this mod. Tomorrow before I head out to the Springs meet I am going to Allen Paint and checking if they have SEM Plastic and Vinyl Color Coat. After doinng a quick search on Google I found this and it is specifically made for this reason. From What I've read, it is durable and will not were. If they have it I will purchase and most likely start ripping teh interior apart after the meet or sunday after work. There is a wide range of colors. I can't wait to get to the paint store in the morning. I hope they have the priduct there or else I'm going to order it online. I'll post up a DIY as soon as I get started. Hope I don't forget to take pics. [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

ImageImage

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Nov 3 2007, 12:56 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9328]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
OK it's 12:50 A.M. and this past week I've been really thinking about doing this mod. Tomorrow before I head out to the Springs meet I am going to Allen Paint and checking if they have SEM Plastic and Vinyl Color Coat. After doinng a quick search on Google I found this and it is specifically made for this reason. From What I've read, it is durable and will not were. If they have it I will purchase and most likely start ripping teh interior apart after the meet or sunday after work. There is a wide range of colors. I can't wait to get to the paint store in the morning. I hope they have the priduct there or else I'm going to order it online. I'll post up a DIY as soon as I get started. Hope I don't forget to take pics. [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img][/b]

Cool sounds neat i just got done doing my engine well not all the way done but i got allot of it done and its looking good so far for that i used high heat paint will see how it holds up but it should be good i put like 12 coats of the color paint and like 5 coats of the clear coat [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14

What did you paint in the bay?

ImageImage

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Nov 3 2007, 01:42 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9331]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
What did you paint in the bay?[/b]

Will show you today im getting rdy to head down to the mall and im sure all you guys are otw should be a good time

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OpacRX @ Nov 3 2007, 03:17 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9337]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Will show you today im getting rdy to head down to the mall and im sure all you guys are otw should be a good time[/b]

That was nice. You didn't get to see mine. I wish I painted it like yours. I just did the corners.

Here it is. Image

ImageImage

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Nov 3 2007, 11:39 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9388]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
That was nice. You didn't get to see mine. I wish I painted it like yours. I just did the corners.

Here it is.[/b]

Yeah yours looks really good too i was going to do it kinda like yours but then i thought about the way i did it so went with that way

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14

Quick Update on the Interior mod.

I've started it. Took about 10-15 min to do all four doors. So now is all I have is to take apart the panels at the rear tape off everything and start shooting. Not sure when I'm going to shoot. hopefully sometime before the weekend. I didn't take pics because I did it like 10 minuets ago. For some reason I like working in the dark. I'll just take pics for the DIY when slapping everything together.

Also a quick question if it can be answered before tomorrow noon. I may go to mazda tomorrow, or should I say today, if not I'll go Tuesday. Will Mazda care at all if I bring the car in with no doorp panels? Will the blame my CEL on that. Should I just slap everything back together before I take it in?

ImageImage

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14

Curious to see how it turns out. Can't wait to see some pics.

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Nov 5 2007, 12:03 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9486]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Quick Update on the Interior mod.

I've started it. Took about 10-15 min to do all four doors. So now is all I have is to take apart the panels at the rear tape off everything and start shooting. Not sure when I'm going to shoot. hopefully sometime before the weekend. I didn't take pics because I did it like 10 minuets ago. For some reason I like working in the dark. I'll just take pics for the DIY when slapping everything together.

Also a quick question if it can be answered before tomorrow noon. I may go to mazda tomorrow, or should I say today, if not I'll go Tuesday. Will Mazda care at all if I bring the car in with no doorp panels? Will the blame my CEL on that. Should I just slap everything back together before I take it in?[/b]

Never know i would bring it in if they say some stupid shit like that just put panels back on and go back in lol if they wont take it then i would just go to another dealership but i cant see why they would do something like that. cant wait to see how they turn out [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Return to “Interior Modifications”