Head Unit manufacturer ranking...

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
Rich

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

I used to have a Clarion deck that I loved. Not sure how popular they are these days.

MHSD

Postby MHSD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

IS300.... Miata... Pinto.... any car can sound Great it just takes good planning set up and good equipment that will maximize your cars abilities.

Ok you asked about Head units specifically. Current rankings amongst most of us in the industry....

Kenwood.... top of the list as far as features or number of features. the Excelon live gives you 2 yr warranty and 5v pre outs

Eclipse... is making a come back with their good, better, best line up in Single Dins and their top end unit priced at 550.00 but is easily worth twice that.
Also the entry level deck come with Ipod and USB, the two upper unit have built in BlueTooth and are ipod ready. the TOM TOM double din Dock radio cd player is an intersting pice in the line up the Double din nav is a nice piece thought the add on B/T from parrot is behind the times.
(the 3 yr warranty when in stalled by an authorized dealer, and a 1 yr theft guarantee <if you deck get stolen int he firs tyear they will replace it>

Alpine.... has seemed to plateau as far as how the innovate... they have a couple of signature pieces, but overall nothing that really stands out. though the head units they make are still great and I think some of the best sounding. they have just become hard to navigate through all the features.not as user friendly as they hve been in the past. Their nav is still the most expensive one out there and it is only an add on.

Clarion... though not as big as they used to be in the head unit game... they still make some great stuff. though some decks are hard to navigate they are still a great company.

Pioneer... they are popular these days since thr release of the D3 unit and the F series coming. they have always been right on the edge of the best advancements. the navs are hard to navigate and do not have all the best features, but they are good budget minded units. and their standard units are good. though not always great to look at (though better this year then others).

from here I would rank it as JVC Panasonic and Sony.... and just a side note Nakamichi only produces one unit for car still and though it was a great unit a few years back it is behind the times now days.

as far as speakers and amps go....

Like Lee mentioned and I tell everyone now day JL does make decent gear do not be brain washed into thinking they are the best there is. there are MANY companies that make as good (for less) or better for the same or little more in price. Focal that Lee mentioned, Morel, Hertz, Image Dynamics, Dynaudio, Hybrid,Seas, Alpine Type X pro line. other I am sure tha tI can not think of off the top of my head

Sub woofers too many to name and I would say JL has at this point been passed by.... 6I will tell you there is better out there.... I could name brands off for days. few off the top Image Dynamics, Arc Audio, Hertz, Morel, Dynaudio, Focal, digital designs, Treo, Ultra (a new company doing it right)

Amps... wow another area of car that has some great players in it. some of the hottest brands on the market these days... Arc Audio (espically their new Mini Line smaller then the PDX alpine line and leaps better. Hertz and Audison, genesis, Image Dynamics,Focal, Steg, DLS, elemental sound.
(little note about "digital amps" like PDX and new JL HD line there are some speaker lines that will not warranty their speakers if run on one of these amps due to the ditry sound produced by them.

Hope this helps as far as who sits where, if you would like some help figuring out what will work best in your miata please get in touch with me.

Thanks,
Bryan
Team MHC
Image Dynamics Sound Team Team Audison
Team Stinger
Mile High Sound Designs*Eclipse Tinting*Mac Autosports*Performace Wheel & Tire

</SPAN></SPAN>

rush24

Postby rush24 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

What about SoundStream??? How good are these??? There's one out there that I like ...Just don't want a POS...
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=134]
2007 Black CX7

Apexcone Raptor 6000k HID...
[color=Black]Corksport Turbo Inlet Pipe

Forge V1 BPV...ProSport Boost Gauge
3" DP back Exhaust System
[/color][/font][/SIZE]...[color=Black]PG SRI
SURE Motor Mount...
[/color]

Dash Hawk...Altered Customs CX-7 FMIC

MHSD

Postby MHSD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rush24 @ Jul 24 2008, 09:54 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58174]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
What about SoundStream??? How good are these??? There's one out there that I like ...Just don't want a POS...[/b]

Sounstream from about 8 years ago was still making good stuff anything newer is just the good name badged onto junk.

Thanks,
Bryan
Team MHC
Image Dynamics Sound Team Team Audison
Team Stinger
Mile High Sound Designs*Eclipse Tinting*Mac Autosports*Performace Wheel & Tire

</SPAN></SPAN>

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

Last good thing I had from Soundstream was a SPL160 15" sub and a Reference 504 and a Reference 300 amp.

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14

Wow. Awesome info. Thanks everyone for all the input..
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rush24 @ Jul 24 2008, 09:54 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58174]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
What about SoundStream??? How good are these??? There's one out there that I like ...Just don't want a POS...[/b]

i bought a soundstream ref604 back in the day. it was my first high power amp. I
had it running all my mids/highs and 2 12"s, it did find...not great but fine, problem
was the damn thing kept crapping out, some bad circuit on the board must of have it
repaired 5 times at 65 bucks a pop, that was my first/last experience with their amps.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:14

I'd definetely have to agree with Pioneer nav being shitty...more often than not it sends me to the wrong place...sometimes even miles away. Maps just seem outdated even though i bought it months ago.
2013 FRS

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14

After more than twenty years installing sound systems from factory demo cars to simple head units, I have to tell you that alpine head units have always sounded better and lasted longer than every one else. I have worked in stores that sold every brand you can name. If your budget is a problem, Pioneer has really made leaps in sounds and build quality. The absolute worst progeression in quality over the years has been Kenwood. Back in the 80's they made good stuff, but they went the way of flashy lights and gimmicks,instead of improving sound quality.Alpine got huge benefits from their partnership with Luxmann(A high end home audio manufacturer) in the past, really learned how to make amplifiers and pre-amps with outstanding sound. On a more industry related note, Alpine is owned by Alps electronics, they make over 90% of the precision parts everyone else uses to make their products. I have had too many customers to recall over the years come in to whichever store I was working in with complaints of not enough bass, etc. and fixed it with a simple head unit change. The number one brand being replaced....Soon Only Not Yet, or Sony if you will. When I worked for soundtrack, sony and kenwood were the two that got replaced more often than any other. Guido, you said that Alpine lacks midbass adjustment, unless you have a higher end model with a built in digital eq, that is correct. But if your system is properly installed and designed, with crossover points set correctly, you don't need one. All those bass, treble, midbass adjustments do is increase distortion and lead to dead speakers anyway. But the shor answer to yur question is Alpine and Pioneer have the best record for durability. Nakamichi stuff(and the other fujitsu products) has always sounded good, but it's big buck and it's never been know for being durable. Don't forget, in a convertable you need durable.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14

good write up goldrocket, glad I finally found the perfect deck.
I agree the midbass was probably an issue on my part, I did have a 5 band eq and was running
100 rms to the fronts, but I am sure tuning or my inability to do so was a huge part of the problem.
I have learned a bit more in the past 6 months which have made improvement, but the system of which I am referring to no longer exists. I am using the oem bose hu in my 6 now and until they offer up a sweet
aftermarket 6 disc changer that won't break my bank I will continue to do so...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14

A 6 disc changer? For like.... CDs? People still use those?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14

haha. guido why don't you get a MP3 player.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Jul 29 2008, 09:17 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58546]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
A 6 disc changer? For like.... CDs? People still use those?[/b]

yup....cuz I can't fit a record player in my deck.... :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7 Chris @ Jul 29 2008, 09:18 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58547]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
haha. guido why don't you get a MP3 player.[/b]

i don't do ipod, and compressing tunes (eventhough I can't tell the difference) hinders sound quality)

I do have a set of mp3 discs with about 75% of my tunes but can't remember what is on where
and hate having to swap out of my single disc player each time trying to find the album I am looking for.... i am old school and yes I still buy cd's as well...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14

I'm old school as well but that is because mp3 players are expensive
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7 Chris @ Jul 29 2008, 10:05 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58553]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I'm old school as well but that is because mp3 players are expensive[/b]

I have 6 discs loaded in my car, i should be able to find 1 I can listen too. ;)
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Return to “Interior Modifications”