Head Unit manufacturer ranking...

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goldrocket @ Jul 30 2008, 08:49 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58657]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I just can't make myself go with MP3s. They will never sound as good as an uncompressed recording. I know this is a can of worms, so I'll explain. It isn't tonal quality or frequency response. Lossless files don't sound bad, but the loss of sound quality is in the depth of the soundstage and the stereo imaging. These are things I am not capable of ignoring as I have spent the last 22 years designing and building sound systems to showcase those qualities. This is my preference. This is also part of what has made me choose Alpine over all the other manufacturers.[/b]

I concur with the SQ, even though i am not an audiophile....

Red95FMII- g/l on the price quote from Bryan.... oh and I haven't touched HD yet...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

audionut

Postby audionut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14

I've had Alpine decks since the 80's and non have ever failed me. Even with the onboard amps they sounded good. Currently using Alpines in both my truck and work car. Not sure I want to delve into car audio just yet, Lee, you know what I mean. I had an Alpine and some home audio Focals with Audax tweets and a home brew crossover in an old Ford Ranchero that sounded incredible. It's all about synergy. Having been in high end home audio for the better part of 35 years has taught me to ignore the critics. Think Adcom and NHT. Good products themselves, but sounded crappy together. I say, listen to some systems. Find out what you like in the different products that you hear. Everybodys hearing is different! Women can hear "highs" way better than guys can. Find what you like. It's an adventure. Cheers.

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14

Kevin knows what he's talking about. Women do indeed have about a half octave more range in the upper frequencies than men do. I think that's how they communicate without us being able to hear them. LOL! j/k girls. Anyway, audio is a subjective quantity, if you like it, who cares what someone else thinks. SOund competitions have a set crieteria to judge a system on how well it measures up to a set standard. Magazine reviews are about the writers opinion and measurments in their test environme. If you hear something you like then get it. And I have only had one Alpine head unit fail, but it was 8 years old. Pretty much time for an upgrade to something with Burr Brown Dacs anyway. If you don't get a quote for your system Red, pm me. I am a first class certified installer since 1993. I can get wholesale prices on every brand of car audio you can name. I do give club members a great deal.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

remarquian

Postby remarquian » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goldrocket @ Sep 4 2008, 08:25 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=62171]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Anyway, audio is a subjective quantity, if you like it, who cares what someone else thinks.[/b]

Amen.

Some advice I got buying stereo equipment early on, was to start at the basement price wise for a stereo/speakers/whatever, and compare the next more expensive one. If you can hear a difference, compare it to the next more expensive one. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Buy when either you can't tell a difference.

I'm blessed with a bad ear, and it saved me a lotta money.

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14

It's better money spent on a great source unit first. Garbage in garbage out. A lot of retail stores (Ultimate/best buy/circuit city/car Toys) want to sell you speakers first becaue they have a way larger profit margin than a head unit. But, since in the past most factory units sucked, you could barely tell speakers had been replaced, then you end up buying the head unit anyway because you feel like you wasted the money on speakers. I've always thought it better to make the customer happy with good results, then upsell them on amps and speakers because they are happy and want fuller sound. I have never been fond of some sales policies that basically bait the customer with inexpensive speakers only to trick them into buying a bunch of crap they can't afford. I personally can't stand not having a subwoofer satellite system in my car, but I've had that for the last twenty years. It's kind of a staple for me. I think everyone should enjoy good sound in their cars. We'd have less road rage. LOL!
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14

ya lost me...what is "a subwoofer satellite system"...this like having mids/highs and then bass?
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Syko701

Postby Syko701 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:14

Alpine head units!!! Alpine is one of the few manufactures that just needs a cord to run your IPOD for $35. And the unit is a fully functional slave to the ipod. And for Speakers Infinity Kappa brand is being discontinued which in my opinion are some of the cleanest speakers out there. A pair now you can get for just over $100
"Hard work and dedication are the keys to success."

Syko701

Postby Syko701 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:14

I know this is kind of late but a satellite system is the same as a component sub woofer system.

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14

Well I suppose since someone resurrected this thread, I'll bring it full circle.

I'm sticking with the Pioneer HU for the time being until someone releases a unit with full iPhone 3G integration.

The 6.5s in the doors are now Focal Polyglass coax's. The amp is a Soundstream Tarantula 560. The headrests remain as unamp'd 4s.

At some point I either need to get new door panels or get some trim rings fabbed to hide the seriously awful HACK job I did with the door panels when I tried to do new door speakers about 9 years ago. And hunt down a few rattles in the driver's side door.
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14

I thought Alpine did.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14

Their current offering won't charge an iphone 3G.
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'

Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)

Flyin' Miata stuff:

FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'

OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

Syko701

Postby Syko701 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:14

I'm sorry i stay away from pioneer. I had one ground itself out internally behind my dash and it melted my entire wire harness... poorly made IMO

Syko701

Postby Syko701 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:14

and here is a way to fix that charging problem.... stick with alpine its worth it. this site will explain everything
http://community.crutchfield.com/forums/permalink/38926/49712/ShowThread.aspx

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:14

<----- Loves Pioneer decks.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:14

...and I <3 my oem deck. sigh....
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Return to “Interior Modifications”