Entire car vinyl wrap

Body kits, bling, lights
Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:14

Vinyl is currently softening up in the sun. I need to make a supply run, but hope to get the door done today, as long as there are no major setbacks. Woo! I'm hoping to get some help when it's time to do the rest of the car. I've never done bodywork (hood, trunk, rear fenders), the other pieces are good. I need to source a replacement driver's side fender. It's creased in multiple areas and will be easier to just get a different fender than try and repair this one.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Huzer

It's a lot of work. It looks good, but we'll see. Phew. It's also hot out.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:14

Looks great Huzer! How are you going to handle the chrome bits (door handles etc.)?

Huzer

The only chrome on it, actually, is the door handles. I'll keep them chrome. I may black out the windshield instead of going yellow. Overall, it does look good. Door took about an hour and a half. The biggest pain was the body line. I'm still not sure how I'll do the door jams, wrapping them will be a major pain!

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:14

Dang, that does look really good!
Does it look as nice in person?
Looking forward to additional pro-gress..
one and one makes two, together we are free

Huzer

It does look as good in person. I need to cut the holes for the mirror, wrap the mirror, put the handle on, and go from there. No bubbles in the vinyl or anything.

One thing, vinyl is not paint. It doesn't have the depth of paint, nor does it have quite the mirror finish paint does. You'll know it's been wrapped (as if underhood/trunk/doors wouldn't give it away). It looks good enough, and it's cheap enough, and enough of a headache (haha) that I'm moving forward with it. Just need to order the rest of the vinyl, and learn how to do bodywork.

I think I'm going to go with a black windshield frame, and black insert between the taillights, as shown earlier in this thread. The rest will be the color of the door. After Shadow mentioned it, I may even do something different with the handles.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14

I'm finally going to order the remaining vinyl this week. Even with the paint I thought was in "great shape", 20 year old single stage still fades. I hosed the car off this weekend and was surprised how much a few of the panels of already lost some of their luster (I haven't waxed it in ages). We also had a little family gathering yesterday and get an enthusiastic thumbs up from everyone regarding the new color.

Time to learn bodywork!

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14

just buy a gallon of bondo and start slapping it on, lol.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

_AlexTM

Postby _AlexTM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14

This is impressive man. At work there's been a guy coming in every so often to wrap some of the cars and he is insanely good. Spyder hires him exclusively if that tells you anything haha
SOLD 2004 Mazda3 hatch

2004 Java Black Pearl Forester XT :D

Eclipse

Postby Eclipse » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:14

how did this project turn out Tim?
Powerstroke 6.0

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:14

The project stalled, I'm still debating between a respray and the full vinyl treatment. I'm still leaning vinyl, I'm just not excited about underhood, jambs, etc being red. I don't really want to spray them black either. At least all closed up, it'll look good.

As I get the mechanicals in A+ shape, I'll start the think about the cosmetics more.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:14

Hey Tim, do you want the jamb/underhood to be black? I was thinking what if you plastidip them before you wrap them? Not sure how well or if the vinyl will stick the the plastidip though.

ImageImage

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:14

GR-8 wrote:Hey Tim, do you want the jamb/underhood to be black? I was thinking what if you plastidip them before you wrap them? Not sure how well or if the vinyl will stick the the plastidip though.

I am pretty sure the vinyl will stick to plasti dip, but I think that I would wrap the car, tape off along the edge of the vinyl, then plastidip as opposed to trying to stick the vinyl to the plastidip. The nice things about plastidip are that it can be remove without affecting the vinyl, and could probably be matched to the vinyl.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:14

Interesting thought, color match the dip, then it's reversible, too. Hmm, this has potential. For door jambs, trunk, that would work. What's the heat resistance on dip for underhood, though.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:14

I wouldn't try it under hood personally. Maybe in the channels, but anything inside the engine bay, I think you would need paint. Given the location, it doesn't have to be perfect. I think you could spray the engine bay yourself (with help or whatever) to a suitable quality to go with the vinyl. Depends on if you want to keep the car that color if you do an eventual scratch and spray.

Return to “Exterior Modifications”