Rear Fender Help

Body kits, bling, lights
BrianJohnson

Rear Fender Help

Postby BrianJohnson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:14

Hello!
I just purchased a 2004 Mazda 3 hatch. I love the car. However, it has a small spot of rust right above the driver side rear fender. I have reseached how to stop the rust and that isn't a problem. I would like to add a fender flare to the rear fender to cover/protect. I have found the universal kits and I am looking for any suggestions on products and/or where I could go in denver to get these installed for the bast bang for my buck.

Thanks a ton

Brian

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:14

Is this the rust issue where the bumper cover bolts to the rear of the wheel well arch? The Protege5 also has the issue. I recently checked both joints on my car, and had to sand/ prime/paint a small rust patch on one joint.

If the joint is similar on the 3, the issue is with water and grit getting in from the front, inside, and outside of the joint, and abrading through the paint. If you install flares, how would you prevent debris entry from the front and inside of the joint? I'd be more concerned about not being able to easily inspect and clean out the joint to see and stop future problems.
IT-Works Computer Services 970-405-4399 http://www.i-t-w.com/
2003 Protege5
91 Protege LX (sold)
90 626 (sold)
90 Protege DX (sold)
81 VW Scirocco FSP autocross car.
SCCA RMSOLO COR region Chief of Safety- ask me about autocross

BrianJohnson

rust

Postby BrianJohnson » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:14

There was a spot there as well. I have taken care of that. this is at the top of the rear fender arch. The plan is to take care of the issue and then cover and protect it from further contact with the elements.

Return to “Exterior Modifications”