Check this out!

Body kits, bling, lights
mog1017

Postby mog1017 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14

Yeah, I will talk to him about holding it there and the specifics. Thanks for babysitting me on this one. Without it god knows where I would be at. And for exhaust, I am not set on a brand. I was just thinking of doing something to clear the airways. Honestly later on, like in 1.5 years :), I want to go FI. I'm getting another car sometime this coming spring-ish, that way the 8 is not my daily driver. I really want to turn it into kind of a show piece. And getting an AP used is not the easiest thing in the world, I will keep a look out but I was just thinking of buying one from MM. Although I did read Carbon's thread about those transactions, so I dunno. :( But with the delays getting an e-tune, plus the lack of multiple maps, I was thinking locally too.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14

mog1017 wrote:Yeah, I will talk to him about holding it there and the specifics. Thanks for babysitting me on this one. Without it god knows where I would be at. And for exhaust, I am not set on a brand. I was just thinking of doing something to clear the airways. Honestly later on, like in 1.5 years :), I want to go FI. I'm getting another car sometime this coming spring-ish, that way the 8 is not my daily driver. I really want to turn it into kind of a show piece. And getting an AP used is not the easiest thing in the world, I will keep a look out but I was just thinking of buying one from MM. Although I did read Carbon's thread about those transactions, so I dunno. :( But with the delays getting an e-tune, plus the lack of multiple maps, I was thinking locally too.

Yeah PM Chickenwafer about tunes. If you keep a look out on RX-8 club you can find one used. But they go quick.

ImageImage

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14

Here you go man. $330 and still there. NEVERMIND. I READ THE LAST POST AND IT WAS JUST SOLD. FIRST POST IS NOT UPDATED. GOTTA WATCH THE SITE LIKE A HAWK.

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=209230&highlight=cobb+ap

ImageImage

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14

Thanks for recommendation Jimmy! I owe ya ;)

For an NA RX-8, these are the best PERFORMANCE parts you can buy, in order of Bang For the Buck:

1. Cobb AP with custom tune. More than just a tune, also increased oiling to the housings, better fuel economy, turns on radiator fans earlier, turns off CELs, etc.
2. Gutted FACTORY airbox with K&N drop-in filter. All other intakes are noise makers.
3. Catless midpipe. Getting the factory cat out of there really frees up exhaust flow in a big way. Get the Racing Beat resonated midpipe unless you want your car to be ungodly loud.
4. Lightweight flywheel. Part isn't too much but the install can be expensive as you have to drop the trans. I'm a big fan of the Fidanza billet wheel, it has a replaceable friction disc so it never needs to be machined. Makes the Renesis rev like a crotch rocket!

That's it really for motor mods. Catback exhaust makes more noise. Pulleys get you 1-3hp. Exhaust manifold/header maybe gets you 2-5hp (Racing Beat is the best).

If I were to build another 8, I would either go crazy and do an REW FD engine swap, or just keep it NA and focus on suspension, braking, and weight reduction.

Get some GREAT coilovers, like KW V3's. Don't get fooled by fancy Japanese coilovers in various colors of the rainbow, they are all hype and break. Good coilovers aren't cheap!

Progress Technologies makes awesome sway bars. Get some with Evo-R or Racing Beat end links and you'll notice an immediate difference, like it's on rails. It's a relatively inexpensive upgrade as well.

Lastly a set of the fattest wheels the factory fenders will hold with equally qualified rubber. Look at running some 18x10 +25 Enkei RPF1's with 285 series Nitto NT05's on all four corners. Talk about a canyon runner! You'll out gun Lotus' with that much grip.

Factory brakes on the 8 are already terrific. Upgrade them with some HAWK HPS pads, StopTech slotted rotors with braided SS brake lines, and high quality DOT4 fluid like Motul. You'll get immediate feedback. If you want to hit the track, look at the RacingBrake 4-piston caliper upgrade kit, it's not too expensive and will give you more brake than you'll ever need.

For weight reduction, toss the oversized factory battery and put a lightweight Oddessy in the trunk. Pull out the electric air pump as well, it's pointless (you can put it back in for passing emissions). A lot of the 8's body panels are aluminum or thin gauge steel, so most don't need carbon fiber replacements. Most CF hoods weight MORE than the factory honeycomb aluminum hood. A CF trunk can save you some good weight, but that's about it.

The RX-8 isn't a drag racer so don't turn it into one...instead focus on what it already does exceptionally and exploit it. /my 0.2 cents, I kinda want to buy another RX-8 haha!
:eek:

mog1017

Postby mog1017 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:14

Wow! I'm kinda speechless! BUT...I will contact Harvey next month. Then I will see your availability. Tell me, is it easier to have it tuned, then when I get the midpipe have the tune tweaked? Or is it essentially having to start from scratch? I already gutted the factory airbox, although I did it wrong and I used the stock filter. I took one of the screens closest to the filter out, not after the sensor (if I'm thinking about that correctly). Which, you are correct, caused me to immediately have a fluctuating idle. It's been a little while since I've been out, but maybe I can find someone with a military ID to let me use a base shop. I can put on a flywheel myself with access to a lift.
Speaking of brakes, the guy that sold me the bumper also had some 4 piston calipers, (just two) and two stainless lines to go with them. He said he thought they were touring edition calipers? Anyways, he said he'd get of them for cheap, I told him I would think about it. What's your take on that? I found on 8club a set of ss lines for $100 for all four. He said he only had two, and that they were stoptech. Not for sure that the brand difference matters.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:14

Brakes on all RX-8's are the same except for the base model automatics, they can with smaller rotors but same size calipers. There is no such thing as "touring calipers", he's full of shit. Don't get them, you already have them.

As far as adding parts to a tune, it would be easiest to wait until you get a catless midpipe first, because it does make a big difference. But if you want the most performance out of your 8 now, then get a tune now and I can tweak it when you get anymore parts.

One more part I forgot to list for performance, LS2 ignition coils. Don't buy overpriced kits, make your own. Get the LS2 Yukon truck coils on EBay, and there is a company selling pre-made PnP harness connectors on there as well. You just need to figure a way to mount them, and buy an MSD build-your-own spark plug wire set, which will give you enough wire, connectors, and boots to make 2-3 sets of plug wires.

For NA you won't notice a huge difference, but it will replace the crappy OEM coils with much more robust ignition coils. The GM Yukon LS2 coils last a long time, and can support over 600rwhp easy. Factory coils die every 25,000 miles and get weak around 330rwhp.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:..... Factory coils die every 25,000 miles and get weak around 330rwhp.

They can also die in a month of having Mazda install them. I went through 3 sets one summer.

ImageImage

mog1017

Well, I'm not for sure that they fit, but they did look completely different than the ones I have on the car. Much more beefy looking. Kinda like this...
The ones I have look like this.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:14

Those look like the fake plastic caliper covers, to make a sliding calipers look like a monoblock caliper.

mog1017

So no version of the 8 comes with monoblock calipers? Could they be aftermarket? Because the housing is all steel or aluminum. That was just the closest to the shape of them compared to the ones I have. Maybe I will do a little research, because according to people on 8club, the body kit belonged to a former member, so maybe he put a thread up talking about the calipers. We'll see, because if these are a set set of larger calipers, it may be worth it to get them for $50. I mean, I got the $600 in body kit pieces for $125!

mog1017

Mmhmm, well here is his for sale thread selling a set of stock calipers....
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=157146
Could it possibly have a StopTech Big Brake kit on it?
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=153777
For $50? :)

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:14

That's a real old thread from a guy in California...did the guy in Denver buy them then?

If they are real StopTech calipers they will have a StopTech sticker on them, they will be the standard StopTech ST40 fixed caliper that looks like this:

mog1017

Postby mog1017 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:14

Ok, I will check them out closely. Although there is no sticker, but that may simply be because they they were painted to colormatch the car. But I will look for the little oil lines wrapping around, the allen head screws, and the top plate. And as far as being from another state, I know, I thought that sounded strange too, but yeah, everyone on the other forum seems to think the guy in Cali's car was sold to someone out of state, and said the unique paint job on the bumper and side skirts was his, as well as the bad turbo job. But we will see soon...

mog1017

Postby mog1017 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

Dang Dave, I just priced everything, and other than wheels and tires, which wont happen until later this year, everything costs about the same except for a big brake kit. What order would you put these things on?

Also, got any ideas of how to fabricate a bracket for the coils? I think I will do that sooner rather than later.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

Coil bracket is super easy, I made one myself in less than an hour. I just mounted them to the existing OEM coil bracket with an "adapter" bracket of sorts.

Then you can source the coils from EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-GMC-Buick-Chevy-Silverado-Round-Ignition-Coil-/130450269065?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5f712389

And the PnP harness as well, no cutting or soldering like I did!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS2-Yukon-Ignition-Coils-RX8-Harness-Adapter-/250523666256?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a545fc750

Then you just need a set of DYI plug wires from MSD or the like. I ordered mine from Summit. Make sure they have the correct coil-end terminals, the Yukon coils have smaller terminals on them so you need the correct end, otherwise they won't work...or won't work well.

As far as an order to things, I could get the AP first especially since they are discontinued now..at least snatch one up ASAP to ensure you can get one.

Other than that I would recommend dialing in your suspension first...pick up the wheels an tires and then do suspension such as coilovers and sway bars with end links. It will literally transform your car more than any catback can. And the AxialFlow short throw shifter...turns the transmission into the bolt action on a rifle with quicker and more precise shifts...makes driving that much more fun.

Return to “Exterior Modifications”