Powder-Coating Rims

Body kits, bling, lights
TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

Good luck getting Street Concepts to call you back on anything, ever.
2013 FRS

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

:huh: Really? Hmmm. I wanted powder coating!

Anyone you can recommend? I'm sure I could drive on winters while my other wheels are in the shop.
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

Alan at Excalibur is the guy who did my wheels. I called one of my old bosses in NC who has been doing powdercoat for years and he said my wheels need to be blasted with baking soda instead of sand so it doesn't start eating away at the aluminum. He said it needs to be scuffed so the powder can adhere to the metal. I'm going to talk to Alan today about redoing all my wheels or at least giving me a guarantee the 4th one won't chip for no reason like the first 3 have and just redo the 3 that have chipped. The damn wheels haven't even been driven on, therefore I have hit NO potholes, as far as I know nothing has even hit the wheels to make it chip off. PC may not be impossible to chip, but a slight breeze shouldn't take it off either haha.

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

Let me know if you guys find anyone that has reasonable prices...I have some rims I'd like powder coated. My dad has had a bunch of stuff done before and I seem to remember the prices being very affordable, I'll ask him where he took it.

deepSpeedMS3

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

ok ...well im find more details out this week. ill talk to tommy and see what the whole package looks like
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. EdgeAutosport.com [size=100]- [/SIZE]- [size=100]Supplying parts to all major imports [/SIZE] - Locally owned in Colorado

mike11_11

Postby mike11_11 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Alan at Excalibur is the guy who did my wheels. I called one of my old bosses in NC who has been doing powdercoat for years and he said my wheels need to be blasted with baking soda instead of sand so it doesn't start eating away at the aluminum. He said it needs to be scuffed so the powder can adhere to the metal. I'm going to talk to Alan today about redoing all my wheels or at least giving me a guarantee the 4th one won't chip for no reason like the first 3 have and just redo the 3 that have chipped. The damn wheels haven't even been driven on, therefore I have hit NO potholes, as far as I know nothing has even hit the wheels to make it chip off. PC may not be impossible to chip, but a slight breeze shouldn't take it off either haha.

You can use several different things to blast the wheels you just have to make sure it is not to hard of a media or it will put pits in the wheels. If you guys are looking for a large scale business that does powder coating try Roadrunner.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:14

Ranger wrote:Let me know if you guys find anyone that has reasonable prices...I have some rims I'd like powder coated. My dad has had a bunch of stuff done before and I seem to remember the prices being very affordable, I'll ask him where he took it.

Well I did find out that although I paid $560 for the powdercoating and tire dismounting/remounting, they only paid $200 for the actual powdercoating at Excalibur. I'm not sure if that's a hook up deal for the shop, if the guy was doing it under the table at night, or what. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost $360 for mounting and dismounting tires. So there's yet another way Street Dreams screwed me over.

mike11_11 wrote:You can use several different things to blast the wheels you just have to make sure it is not to hard of a media or it will put pits in the wheels. If you guys are looking for a large scale business that does powder coating try Roadrunner.

Yeah that's what my old boss was saying, he told me he doesn't use sand because it will pit. Is Roadrunner a local place or would the wheels need to be shipped?

mike11_11

Postby mike11_11 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:14

Roadrunner is just south of I70 on the west side of I25. Im not sure of the actual street name.

mike11_11

Postby mike11_11 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:14

Anywhere you go its gonna pretty much be a standard $50 bucks per wheel to coat them. That isnt including the blasting or any prep work that is needed.

deepSpeedMS3

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14

Ok. since Street Concepts is never open nor returns my calls i have been looking around at prices. I found a place the will powder coat wheels for $50 a wheel if it is unpolished and $60-$65 a wheel for a polished wheel. This includes blasting and powder coating. I talked to the guy Lee there and told him about the club. He needs the wheels for 3-5 days. He said if you need them quicker then that you can arrange it with him. Here is the website http://www.pristinepc.com/. Im looking into black, they do have gunmetal and a crap load of other colors. they have pics on the site. let me know what you all think!
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. EdgeAutosport.com [size=100]- [/SIZE]- [size=100]Supplying parts to all major imports [/SIZE] - Locally owned in Colorado

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14

TheNewBlack wrote:Good luck getting Street Concepts to call you back on anything, ever.

deepSpeedMS3 wrote:Ok. since Street Concepts is never open nor returns my calls i have been looking around at prices.

I never tried calling him on his phone, but he was very accessible via email. I chatted with him back and forth up until I brought my car in.

With that said, I now have a scratch that went through the clear coat that I'm 99% sure wasn't there before SU worked on my car:(:mad:

Not that Burt didn't put a mark on my car either last time I was in; just my luck. If you want something done right....
one and one makes two, together we are free

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14

Thanks for the info!
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14

Thanks for the info...the work looks nice...lots of color options too!
2013 FRS

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14

Got my wheels back from Excalibur and they look GREAT! They did the entire wheel this time. Last time they did just the part of the wheel that would be visible with tires on (which is what I had asked for), but this time they did even the hidden part too. The only thing they didn't coat over was the date the wheel was made, and that's under where the tire would be too. We'll see if it holds up to the tire mounting process this time. I'll post pics when they're done and on the car. If I can remember I'll take some pics before the tires get mounted too.

deepSpeedMS3

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Got my wheels back from Excalibur and they look GREAT! They did the entire wheel this time. Last time they did just the part of the wheel that would be visible with tires on (which is what I had asked for), but this time they did even the hidden part too. The only thing they didn't coat over was the date the wheel was made, and that's under where the tire would be too. We'll see if it holds up to the tire mounting process this time. I'll post pics when they're done and on the car. If I can remember I'll take some pics before the tires get mounted too.

how much?
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Exterior Modifications”