Powder-Coating Rims

Body kits, bling, lights
deepSpeedMS3

Powder-Coating Rims

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:14

So I'm putting this out there. I have a buddy at street concepts and I've been looking at powder-coating my rims black. He said they can do it for $150-$200 for ALL 4 wheels. Now I'm checking back next week for the final quote but I'm seeing if any one else would be interested. Let me know. they said they could give a better GB possibly.

Also, if you get them painted they need like 2 days of your car unless you have a second set of wheels. I don't . does any one have an extra set to i could borrow for a couple of days? let me know. if not ill just leave my car in their garage and carpool with my wife.
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. EdgeAutosport.com [size=100]- [/SIZE]- [size=100]Supplying parts to all major imports [/SIZE] - Locally owned in Colorado

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:14

Sounds like a good deal. Can he powder coat in gunmetal?
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 21, 2009 9:14

Well I wish I had known about this a few months ago. While my car has been at the shop (while I was deployed for 4 months and it's STILL not finished) they took my wheels and got them powdercoated. I paid $560 (part of that was removing old tires and installing new ones though) and my wheels are already chipping and they haven't even been driven on yet. So hopefully you guys will have better luck with it.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:14

Where did you get it done?

speedjunkie wrote:Well I wish I had known about this a few months ago. While my car has been at the shop (while I was deployed for 4 months and it's STILL not finished) they took my wheels and got them powdercoated. I paid $560 (part of that was removing old tires and installing new ones though) and my wheels are already chipping and they haven't even been driven on yet. So hopefully you guys will have better luck with it.
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

JZSpeed6

Postby JZSpeed6 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14

I would also be interested in gunmetal powder coating my wheels
Let the modding begin. <b>HP=-AF</b><i> (Increase in HP is directly proportionate to the decline in available funds)</i>

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14

If your PC wheels are already chipping, they probably didn't remove the old finish by media blasting them. I would ask them, and if they didn't do it right the first time, they should probably do them again.

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14

+1

I wonder if SC includes the prep in that qoute .......if so that is one hell of a deal....
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zwetty

Postby Zwetty » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14

I would be interested. I wan't to do a dark bronze though, so I'd have to know what powder coat suppliers they use to pick a color.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 23, 2009 9:14

AIM WO4 wrote:Where did you get it done?

I have no idea haha. I've asked but the guys at the shop won't ever tell me.

dommo_g wrote:If your PC wheels are already chipping, they probably didn't remove the old finish by media blasting them. I would ask them, and if they didn't do it right the first time, they should probably do them again.

Oh I'm positive he didn't blast them. One of the places where it chipped, I can still see the old finish where I had scratched them before. So in that spot I can see all the way down to the metal, all layers of the old finish and the new powdercoat. Sean, the owner of the shop doing my paint and body work, told me the guy blasts everything but I told him there was no way he could have. One of my old bosses in NC has been doing powdercoating for several years now and when I told him about it yesterday he was kinda irked because this gives the whole industry a bad name when someone does shoddy work like that. I'm going to have Sean take me to the guy's shop and maybe even see if I can watch him do the work on my wheels to make sure he does it right this time.

I hope you guys have better luck with this deal than I did. I'll post up when I find out the name of the place so you can avoid it.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Sat May 23, 2009 9:14

Well shit man. That sucks. Would be nice if the guy would stand behind his work and redo them, but good luck with that, huh?

mike11_11

Postby mike11_11 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:14

I used to powder coat all the wheels for Tommy at Street Concepts. If the wheels have a previous powder coat finish then they do not need to be blasted first. You can coat over old powder just not over paint. I don't know how long he said he will need your wheels to get them done but I cant see them being done in less then a week unless the works is sub par.

Many people think that powder coat will not chip and that is false. It is much more durable then paint but will still chip from rocks and smashing pot holes or things of that sort.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Tue May 26, 2009 9:14

mike11_11 wrote:I used to powder coat all the wheels for Tommy at Street Concepts. If the wheels have a previous powder coat finish then they do not need to be blasted first. You can coat over old powder just not over paint. I don't know how long he said he will need your wheels to get them done but I cant see them being done in less then a week unless the works is sub par.

Many people think that powder coat will not chip and that is false. It is much more durable then paint but will still chip from rocks and smashing pot holes or things of that sort.

I tried to send someone from here to you for powdercoating wheels a while back Mike. Are you still doing it?

mike11_11

dommo_g wrote:I tried to send someone from here to you for powdercoating wheels a while back Mike. Are you still doing it?

I stopped doing it for a while since I was so busy at work but now that things have slowed down I am getting back into it a little more.

mike11_11

I need to dismount the tires from my girlfriends stock RX-8 wheels then I'm gonna coat them gloss black. I'll post up some pics when I get them done.

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

Having your wheels machine blasted is going to be based on the time taken. ie. size of wheels/ and number of spokes. Ball park, you'll be spending about $35-$45 per wheel to machine blast.

Return to “Exterior Modifications”