Time to Mount Up?

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Stealth01

Time to Mount Up?

Postby Stealth01 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14

I was hoping to hold off mounting the Wintersports until November, but this says we could get a snowstorm....Monday-TUesday.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/wxstory.php?site=pub

Should I mount em up this weekend or hold off?
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

Operator

Postby Operator » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14

I know I plan to hold off. But from the sound of it, it doesn't seem like a snow storm, that's going to drop multiple feet of snow. If a little does fall, I'd venture AWD would be enough to compensate to get you back home safely. My thought process is to hold out as long as possible, so I can keep the miles off my winters.
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

Stealth01

Operator wrote:I know I plan to hold off. But from the sound of it, it doesn't seem like a snow storm, that's going to drop multiple feet of snow. If a little does fall, I'd venture AWD would be enough to compensate to get you back home safely. My thought process is to hold out as long as possible, so I can keep the miles off my winters.

Normally, I'd agree, but my rear tires are REALLY bad. LOL. Maybe I'll just take the Jeep if it does snow...
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14

So... the title of this thread makes me want to get back at you for the knees comment...

However, for some reason I am not feeling vindictive this evening so you shall be spared.

I wouldn't mount up the winters just yet.
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

Stealth01

bellalyssa wrote:So... the title of this thread makes me want to get back at you for the knees comment...

However, for some reason I am not feeling vindictive this evening so you shall be spared.

I wouldn't mount up the winters just yet.

LOL well, mounting up does involve rubber.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14

I would mount them immediately, so it's over and done with.

After that, drive around neighborhoods strategically, as soon as the first snowfall hits the city. Be on the lookout for somebody stuck pulling out of their cul-de-sac or whatever. Sell them the car.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

Stealth01

~Barn~ wrote:I would mount them immediately, so it's over and done with.

After that, drive around neighborhoods strategically, as soon as the first snowfall hits the city. Be on the lookout for somebody stuck pulling out of their cul-de-sac or whatever. Sell them the car.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14

How many miles are you really saving on the winters by waiting a couple more weeks? I wouldn't risk even a very light snow on those bald pieces of crap you have on there now. But then, I wouldn't even risk driving in the rain or dry pavement for that matter on those things.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14

^lol i agree

i just put on my dads set of snows on the car. i know ill definitely be too lazy to do it later on lol

Regulator

Postby Regulator » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14

Bald tires!? Put the tires with the tread on man!
[color="Silver"]Old: 2004 Mazda6, 2006 MS6[/color]
New: 2010 EVO X MR - 400hp, 360tq

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14

I drive about 800 miles a month...sometimes more sometimes less. So if I made it to Nov 15th, I'd save about 800...not a big deal, I suppose. I'll watch the forecast...if it stays the same, they go on the car Saturday!
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14

Yea, 800 miles is not a big deal and you should probably should have swapped them out as soon as you got them because the ones you have on now are not safe. I don't know how you haven't run over a rock or something and popped them with as bald as they are.

I'll probably put mine on the MS3 this weekend. I think the Miata can handle a light snow just fine with good all-seasons but you never know when it's really going to dump in this state.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0

2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14

erod550 wrote:Yea, 800 miles is not a big deal and you should probably should have swapped them out as soon as you got them because the ones you have on now are not safe. I don't know how you haven't run over a rock or something and popped them with as bald as they are.

I hit a pothole the other day and held my breath until I was sure it wasn't flat. LOL.

The forecast is looking ugly for Mon-Tues now. The word "slushy" was used. I think I'll mount em up and enjoy the ride.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

chromal

Postby chromal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote: The word "slushy" was used.

Yuck, yeah, driving over partly melted snow is such a messy slippy affair. Gotta 'love' fall/spring snowstorms!

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14

And we're all mounted up. Four Dunlop Wintersport M3s (225/45R18 95V). My son and I took the MS6 to the Peterson AFB Auto Hobby Center, put it on a lift, and 90 minutes later, all four were mounted. A note to someone doing this here: Normally, they won't handle any tires with an aspect ration lower than 45. They had a helluva time getting my old Eagle GTs (225/40R18) off the rims. Said it took them the same time to do ONE of my tires that it normally takes them to do all four. But they got them done. Mounted, balanced perfectly. I had it up to 70 on the way home with NO shudder whatsoever.

The cost:

$10 for a little more than two hours on the lift (included rotating the tires on our Jeep)
$08 to change all four tires
$24 to balance all four tires
$10 to dispose of all four Eagle GTs
----
$52

Compared to Discount tire, who wanted $32 PER TIRE to mount/balance/dispose.

There she is, all lifted and wheel-less:

Bring on the SNOW:

Inspected all the mounts while we had it on the lift. The diff mounts looked good, at least what I could see. Front mount was fine all around -- bushings were still good, no cracks, etc. Top mount I couldn't see it ALL, but I saw most. BUshings looked good, no cracks, etc.

Dog Bone motor mount was great, too:

So that leaves only the front motor mount, right? Couldn't see that....
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Return to “Tires and Wheels”