Well...no More Highways For Awhile

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Stealth01

Well...no More Highways For Awhile

Postby Stealth01 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14

So I rotated my tires today, and this is what I found on two of the wheels, on the INSIDE of the sidewalls:

Yep, they're cracked all the way around. Both the cracked ones were on the front, where Penkhus had been telling me to leave them because they wanted the better tread on the rear wheels...so I think taking the weight of the engine all these months was too much. And Penkhus had the tires at 32 psi each...but only the left front was really 32. The others were all at 40 psi. So we set them all at 38 and left them.

Anyway, those tires are on the back now, but I don't trust them for highway driving. Probably good around town, but that's about it. Looks like I'll be getting new ones sooner than I thought. I was aiming for November. LOL.

Here's the tread on my worst tire:

Yep, that says ZERO.

And my BEST tire:

Penkhus, of course, had them all measured at 3...all four...looks like they're back to pencil-whipping their "safety inspections." I'm lucky one of these didn't blow at Red Rocks.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14

well that blows. to me those tires are still driftable lol

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

LOL, well you know, if they weren't cracked on the side walls like that, I'd run them until November, buy the Alpin PA2s I really want, and run those all winter.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

Stealth01

Aaarrrggg....this is the point that I'd LIKE to type a long, all-caps, venting post about how my wife says I have to stick to $500 or less on tires, but I won't. Some people just DON'T get it.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

tbot

Postby tbot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

you can find good tires new for less than 5 bills. i know dave @ coloradoland coulda done that earlier this year, but alas, they dont carry that tire anymore.

its doable man, just keep searching around and be patient.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stealth01

tbot wrote:you can find good tires new for less than 5 bills. i know dave @ coloradoland coulda done that earlier this year, but alas, they dont carry that tire anymore.

its doable man, just keep searching around and be patient.

I'll keep trying, but it pisses me off that she's going on a vacation to Cali, spending double what new tires will cost me, then telling me I have to be thrifty on tires. WTF? Double standards piss me off.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Stealth01

Yeah, one of my favorite websites evar! I'm using them as a baseline for my search. I think the cheapest all-season setup I got from them was just under $600.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

Just because something is inexpensive, doesn't necessarily mean it is cheap. As some of you remember, I experienced a flat tire not that long ago, and as such, I'm running inexpensive Primewell tires currently. They meet or exceed all the specs that I would normally look for in tires, in terms of load index, speed rating, etc... They are a directional "Summer Performance" tire, and I got them to the tune of $79/per. I actually think they look pretty sharp too.

If you don't think 80 tires can perform, take a ride with me up the canyon to Black Hawk sometime... Just my $.02.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

Stealth01

~Barn~ wrote:Just because something is inexpensive, doesn't necessarily mean it is cheap. As some of you remember, I experienced a flat tire not that long ago, and as such, I'm running inexpensive Primewell tires currently. They meet or exceed all the specs that I would normally look for in tires, in terms of load index, speed rating, etc... They are a directional "Summer Performance" tire, and I got them to the tune of $79/per. I actually think they look pretty sharp, too.

If you don't think 80 tires can perform, take a ride with me up the canyon to Black Hawk, sometime. Just my $.02.

Hmmmmm...so, did you get those from Firestone?
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

stealth how many miles you get out of those tires?
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Stealth01

6i_guy wrote:stealth how many miles you get out of those tires?

I bought them in February 2009 with 32,304 miles on the car. Right now, there's 43,500 on the car. So 11,200 miles. PATHETIC. Great grip, good in snow, but TERRIBLE treadwear.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Renesis Rx

Postby Renesis Rx » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

Good god that's horrible Stealth. And I thought the 25K on my stockers was a rip-off.
Renesis...MMMMMMMMM

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote:Hmmmmm...so, did you get those from Firestone?

Indeed I did. It was a sale price, for the sake of full disclosure.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

If you move to a different size, you can get them for less. Take the Tire Rack quote to AAFES and get them to match the price. Then you don't pay tax. I also go free mounting and balancing when I bought mine.

Example:
225/40-18 (bit smaller, waaay cheaper)
225/45-18 (a little bigger, still cheaper)
235/40-18 (a little smaller, still cheaper)

Sometimes I go down to the local Peerless and they are always cheaper than Discount or Big-O for my tires.
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

Return to “Tires and Wheels”