Wheel Bearing

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
whobeyou

Wheel Bearing

Postby whobeyou » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:14

Herro Prease!

I'm having a rythmic hum from my front driver-side wheel. Only at low speeds, and only when turning left does this happen. I drive the car fairly spirited, but it's only at 37k. Do the wheel bearings go out on these frequently? Or am I hearing a CV or something else?

Looking at RockAuto and other forums, I see that the wheel bearings are most likely press-fit. Should I buy the whole hub assembly? Also, RockAuto only has wheel bearings for the front, and hubs for the rear. I'm just a little confused, and would like to get a few things straight before buying the parts needed.

Thanks for all your help guys!

JT

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:14

Lift the car. Shake the wheel from the wheel. If you get a rattling sound it's the wheel bearing. I just had mine go out and confirmed it through doing this.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:14

CV is usually a clicking noise when they start to go. I would lean towards wheel bearing also. but inspect your breaks closely while you have it up, I have seen the tension springs fail and grind on the disc this usually has a tinny sound though. If you are in the springs area I have a press you are welcome to use to press in/out races. Good luck!

whobeyou

Postby whobeyou » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:14

OK, I'll try and lift the car tonight, if not it will be tomorrow. Dwduc I may take you up on that offer. I'm not in the springs, but can make an excuse to go down there. Plus, I pay in beer!

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”