hardcore single diagonal
No votes
hardcore double diagonal
50%

Total votes: 2

Dange

ordering a roll bar this week.

Postby Dange » Thu May 12, 2011 9:14

so i was going to order meth injection.. but realized i cant get on the track without an approved rollbar and i want to do some more HPDE's this summer so priorities have changed. what good is the power if i cant play with it?

there are 2 bars im intersted in. the ace and hardcore both from harddog.
http://www.bethania-garage.com/ace.htm
the http://www.bethania-garage.com/m2hardcore_hardtop.htm

pros for ace: the ace is By far cheaper, its made of 1.75 tubing so it is legal as long as it has a single diagonal so with the 40$ harness bar installed it would come out to 435 and im sure the harness bar is legal.

cons: i dont like how the rear bars look attaching half way up the main hoop. like this
and because it mounts behind the seatbely towers is much smaller, and shorter so it looks very short in a NB as seen here

Pros for HDHCHT: Best looking by far and is downright sexy with the double diagonals. comes with mounting points for a harness installed. if i get door bars later it will save me 20 dollars because it has the right hardware. It mounts in front of the seat belt towers so its a full 8" wider and significantly taller as seen in this picture

cons: more expensive, double diagonal is 505 dollars, and the single is 465 so even at the least, its 30 bucks more. but i guess i dont mind spending a bit more for the automotive sex-apeal
supposedly scca requires harness's to be installed on separate mounting points. and the HDHC uses a single eye-bolt http://www.bethania-garage.com/images/willans/bar_harness.jpg
and main con, is because the main hoop mounts infront of the seatbelt towers, supposadly they have issues retracting under their own power. so there is reports of them either retracting slowwer than usual or when i get out i have to feed the belt back to the tower myself..

crash photos prove its more than strong enough

even the most simple cheap one made out of 1.5" tubing
04MSMGT

MMagwire

Ace

Postby MMagwire » Thu May 12, 2011 9:14

well honestly i didnt look at the differences but looks wise I kinda like the ace better... lol Gotta like the way it looks your gonna see it a lot

Dange

Postby Dange » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14

interesting thing that's 2 people that say they like the ace aesthetically better than the Hardcore. and don suggests going all out because you can never overdo personal safety

to me aesthetically the HDHC is better looking, and arguably safer because its 8" wider and 2" taller. but even their cheapest bar (1.5" main bar with no supports) provides full rollover protection as seen on the green and white cars. hell i was told that the soft top will provide enough roll over protection to walk away from..

i am trying to see why people think the ace looks better than the HDHC,

i just think this looks so much better.

than this
04MSMGT

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14

I have to agree that the HDHC looks better, both with single diagonal and double diagonal. In the end, is $30-70 really that much more expensive when it's something you have to look at every day? Spend the extra and get the one that looks better and gives better protection to boot.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14

i would prefer the horizontal bar. just cause you can use a harness if you plan on doing that in the future

Dange

Postby Dange » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14

ace i would order with the harness bar.
but the harddog has these eyebolts installed for harness attachment points
04MSMGT

G-Man

Postby G-Man » Mon May 16, 2011 9:14

I'd call Flyin' Miata (flyinmiata.com). They know everything and give solid advice. Can talk you through your needs, budget, etc.
Not much would be more frustrating than buying and installing the wrong bar.
Interesting note - for Mark 1-2 Miatas (89-97), the windshield will collapse on a rollover with the top down but stay upright with the top up.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon May 16, 2011 9:14

I figured the windshield frame would hold up stronger with a miata. My parents used to have a boxster and they have a roll bar built into the windshield frame as well as the bar behind the seats.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”