Progress Suspension Goodies

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
DemonOfTheFall

Postby DemonOfTheFall » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

So it looks like this weekend I may actually get my suspension goodies installed! w00t! I have Progress Sport Springs and a Progress adjustable rear sway bar that will be installed this weekend. :D

I will post up a full review and probably take some pics and write up a brief walk through of the install as well.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

looks like a short shifter too? what kinda drop will that give ya?
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

Mmmmm...... suspension work. Always a good time!

I've got a set of Tein S-Tech springs (thanks Brock!) waiting some good struts before I install them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

That looks like fun stuff. I'm hoping to get my coilovers in the next month or two.

DemonOfTheFall

Postby DemonOfTheFall » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

Yep thats a TWM Short Throw Shift Kit. I have installed that already. I would HIGHLY recommend anyone with a 3 to at least get the new bushings (Bushings minus the STS kit are about $30 I think) from TWM. The shifter on the 3 has always bugged me because of its "Spongy" feel. When installing the TWM you find out that is because the entire shift assembly is mounted on four 1/2" thick rubber bushings. So the whole thing has about an inch of slop! The TWM bushing replace these with solid steel bushings and the shifter feel is freakin rock solid. So smooth and so precise no matter how you man handle it it just stays crisp and precise. I love that even more than the shortened throw.

Sorry back to suspension!

The box says 1.5" drop front and rear however from the installs I have seen its more like 1.2" rear 1.7" front on the hatch. So the car will have a little forward rake after the install. The springs rate is also mildly increased in the rear with a pretty significant increase in the front. I am pretty stoked! I hope new springs + swaybar and the KONI FSD's shortly after will give my 3 that "go kart" feel I am after

MS3_Mafia

Postby MS3_Mafia » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

Nice set-up you'll have there. I'm gonna be getting some Tein S-Techs here pretty soon, 2.0" Front and 1.5" Rear...
2007 Mazdaspeed3 Sport</span>
-Mazdaspeed Short Ram Intake
-HKS SSQV Bov
-Tein S-Tech Springs
-225/40/18 Nitto Neo Gen Tires on RX-8 Wheels

<span style="color:#FF0000">http://www.JTuned.com

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

interesting about the brushings....
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14

Nice parts! mmmmm love lowered 3's!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Colombia28 @ Dec 28 2007, 12:10 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=15607]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Nice parts! mmmmm love lowered 3's![/b]

you love it like candy there Andrew or in a different more perverted way. :P

back on topic:

If you can sir, take some before/after pics so we can see the difference the drop has on your ride.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14

Guido, I think you need to take some before and after pics of YOUR ride after you've installed some springs........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4

mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Dec 28 2007, 07:48 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=15615]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Guido, I think you need to take some before and after pics of YOUR ride after you've installed some springs........[/b]

can do, if I ever get around to it. don't hold your breath, this is more of a spring summer thing..
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:14

Looking forward to the writeup and pics of the new setup. I almost went with the Progress, but instead went with the RB sways for my car.

DemonOfTheFall

Postby DemonOfTheFall » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:14

I'll get some better pics up later. Unfortunately I didn't take any good before pics as it was snowing really hard out when we started the install and I just wanted to get inside out of the cold :P

Ride Impressions:

Small Bumps: I didn't really know what to expect from the ride but I have to say I am impressed. The first couple inches of travel are softer than stock. Minor road damage, expansion joints, small debris, etc. All stuff I certainly felt with the stock suspension has all but disappeared. I used to live in Glenwood Springs, CO so I have driven the Canyon many many times. The 3 did very well carving the corners but the metal expansion joints are a bit jolting and if I hit one while cornering hard it would actually cause the whole front end to "hop" and slide to the outside a little before it hit pavement and gripped again. A bit unsettling. With the progress springs they can't even be felt inside the cabin the only indicator that you have struck one is the tire noise!

Large Bumps: Over larger bumps/dips it is definitely much stiffer. The stock dampers are doing surprisingly well, as in: I get no bounce and the ride is still quite acceptable. With that said I can't wait for my Koni FSD's to arrive because these springs, while they are good with the stock dampers would definitely be much better with more suitable damping. Going over speed bumps is interesting, when you come down the other side you get just a little bit of soft compression in the first couple inches of travel and then it abruptly stops as you hit the stiffer part of the travel range. It feels a little weird the first couple times but it also prevents the car from scraping so that is good!

Clearance: I can still clear a curb! By about 1/100 of a mm :D I have to drive a little slower over speed bumps and definitely have to take serious dips at a crawl or at an angle but I really haven't had to adjust my driving style. The gas station near my house has an entrance with one of the worst dips I have ever seen, even stock I had to take it at an angle. I have to go a little slower now but I can still make it without scraping. I thought I would have to adjust my driving much more than I needed to, I am quite pleased in this regard.

Handling: Saving the best for last! My biggest issue with the 3 (when stock) in regards to handling is that it seemed to settle into hard corners in two stages. It would lean into a corner and then briefly feel a little "disconnected". I don't know how to describe it but it just didn't feel solid at this point. Once I was fully into a turn it would seem to "settle" further into its lean and then at this stage it once again felt solid and connected to the road. This buffer period between initial body roll and being fully settled into its body roll made hard driving a little less confident than I wanted. (Have any other 3 owners experienced this?)

With the progress springs there is a little bit of initial roll and then it is immediately stiff and controlled throughout the arc of the turn. No more "stages" of body roll. Previous to the 3 I owned an 04 STi so that has been my handling benchmark that I have been striving for. Compared to the Scooby there is still a bit more body roll (Though I think this may be addressed somewhat by better damping) but it now feels very controlled. Fast transitions and hairpins that previously had me on edge are now effortless affairs. I have taken the car out on a few roads I had driven many times previously and it didn't really feel hugely improved but then I would look down and realize I was moving along 15+ mph faster than I normally took that stretch. I have actually had to adjust my driving style because the sense of speed through the twisties has been greatly diminished.

The stiffer springs in front with the stiffer sway bar in back seem to compliment each other perfectly. I love the stiffer springs in the front, almost no nose dive when braking hard and turn in feels much crisper. The ballance is definitely much more nuetral. It still understeers when pushed too hard into a corner but it is much easier to rotate the car now. I can actually make the ass end break loose on dry roads now! Snow driving is fun I can now do the AWD wannabe 4 wheel slide :lol:

Overall I love the improvement in handling and I love the lack of wheel gap. Perhaps too much.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:14

Thanks for the review! Glad you like the Progress stuff. I can't clear a curb now, so I shouldn't have any problems (other than inclines) when I lower it.

DemonOfTheFall

Postby DemonOfTheFall » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:14

Here's a little better photo of the drop. I can't wait for spring/summer... I'm thinking 3 more weeks and the RX8 rims and summer rubber are going back on!

one more...

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”