Transmission fluid change

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14

Mazdas are pretty picky about what ATF you use in there. I'm assuming you have an auto? If you use the wrong fluid, it can cause problems you don't want. At your mileage, why not do a whole BG service? 44K, MOA and maybe the BG tranny flush. Courtesy Mazda does all the BG stuff, Spradley might do it also. If you have someone other than a Mazda shop do your work, make sure you call the Dealership and find out what fluid to use, and make sure your shop uses the proper fluid. I'm normally crazy about aftermarket fluids, I've used RP fluids in my SRT since day 1, and RP oil in the MS3. But for tranny fluid, I would just stick with the Mazda fluid if I were you.

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14

I'm working through the car piece by piece, replacing the things that need to be done. I started with the engine because it's been running very strange lately. Hopefully the new spark plugs and GB 44k will fix that. If not, then I have more work to do. Next will be the transmission bits, the brakes and the little things that are left. I'll be checking the filters tomorrow evening to see where they are at. The only thing stopping me from doing all of it at once is money. I just don't have it right now. I'm working on a very limited budget :( Hopefully I'll get this second job and things will get better. That's also why I'm trying to do it myself, I don't want to pay someone else 80+ dollars an hour for labor on something that I can do myself with limited supervision.

I appreciate all of the feedback! Next week will be the transmission, wish me luck!
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14

How many quarts do I need to buy of the Redline MT-90 if I'm doing a transmission flush?

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14

A flush, or drain and fill? If you do it yourself, you're not really flushing because you need a machine to do a flush.

tbot

Postby tbot » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14

she has a manual tranny
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14

You should need around 2 quarts, maybe 3, no more than 4. You can check your owners manual it should say in there.

You will need a pump to fill the transmission with fluid or a funnel with a long flexible tube attached. The fill on the trans is a bolt on the side above the drain so you can either pump the fluid in with a hand pump or the funnel from the top of the engine bay.

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14

I've talked to my mechanic friends that have been helping me do the work myself and they said that all I'd need to do was a "change" and that a "flush" was a waste of fluid... I'm going to talk to the guys at SCR this afternoon and make sure that's what they say.

From what I've read, this isn't too difficult to do. I'm excited to get my hands on this project and see what I can do :)

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14

Everyone has their own opinion on flush vs. drain and fill. It's for you to decide. Flushing will get out all of the old fluid, flush some sort of cleaner/additive through, then replace with all new fluid. Some people like the idea of it. Some people think it's a waste if you don't 'feel' a difference. I'm guessing those people have never done a back to back service with fluid analysis to compare the two. It's not like doing just a drain and fill isn't doing any good, because of course it is. But like I said, some people like the idea of getting as much old fluid out before putting the new in.

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:14

So I can't even FIND any GL4 rated manual tranny fluid. Tried Advanced Auto. Tried Autozone. Looks like I'll have to order it online. Anyone think I can buy it through the dealer?
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”