Cold Air Intake or Wait for Turbo?

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
Sixburgher

Postby Sixburgher » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:14

T-time wrote:if i blow mine i'll just say screw you guys and buy a genesis :)

or get an FD and still have a wiener.

Operator

Postby Operator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:14

hmm...might have to use that as a template for building my engine...

altho i may just buy a forged engine and run it low compression and build a turbo kit onto that...too many options!

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:14

Huzer wrote:Trade it in for a Speed3. Failing that, go the route chickenwafer mentioned.

At least check your options with the dealer on a trade-in. New car/ new warranty/ Factory Turbo/ Fast out of the box/ No headaches. If it's better than the $3,500 you'd be shelling out for a turbo (+ installations, + maintenance and repairs etc. etc.) then at least consider trading up.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:14

This was my favorite picture of that FS thread LOL:

A freaking hose clamp sitting in the inlet to the compressor housing!!! Jeezuz!
:eek:

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:This was my favorite picture of that FS thread LOL:

A freaking hose clamp sitting in the inlet to the compressor housing!!! Jeezuz!

its to make sure the turbine doesnt fall out when spooling at 200,000RPM's :huh:

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14

Mkay, back to this idea of turbo-ing my 3.

My plan over the winter is to "prep" my car for a turbo. This will include rebuilding the engine and boring it out for more displacement. I'm not too sure how these engines take to being bored but hopefully well. I have a friend that bores out and rebuilds BMW engines and he's more than willing to help out with my project.

The next step would be to find a decently priced turbo kit for the 3. I'm not sure what size to do just yet for the turbo (they're a new subject for me so I'm not sure what my engine can handle). A kit I found includes a GT28R72 turbo and all of the necessary bits needed to install on the car. I'd want to go with a larger front mount though.

I really think this is feasible for my by the end of Spring/beginning of Summer so I want to make sure the steps I'm taking will be the right ones. Over the winter I'll have my shocks upgraded to Koni Sports, Cobb front and rear sway bars, Borla exhaust, the CP-E SRI I'm getting from Edge and big brake kit as well as the building and boring option.

After this build is finished, this car will basically be used for "fun/spirited" driving only. I'll purchase a daily driver to use the other times.

I know Dave has a lot of experience with custom turbo kits and the bits necessary to make them work adequately and not blow up a car.
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

rush24

Postby rush24 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:Mkay, back to this idea of turbo-ing my 3.

My plan over the winter is to "prep" my car for a turbo. This will include rebuilding the bottom end of the engine and boring it out for more displacement. I'm not too sure how these engines take to being bored but hopefully well. I have a friend that bores out and rebuilds BMW engines and he's more than willing to help out with my project.

The next step would be to find a decently priced turbo kit for the 3. I'm not sure what size to do just yet for the turbo (they're a new subject for me so I'm not sure what my engine can handle). A kit I found includes a GT28R72 turbo and all of the necessary bits needed to install on the car. I'd want to go with a larger front mount though.

I really think this is feasible for my by the end of Spring/beginning of Summer so I want to make sure the steps I'm taking will be the right ones.

After this build is finished, this car will basically be used for "fun/spirited" driving only. I'll purchase a daily driver to use the other times.

I know Dave has a lot of experience with custom turbo kits and the bits necessary to make them work adequately and not blow up a car. Has anyone else ever tried doing this kind of thing to an NA vehicle?

Check out STS Turbo systems....they're pretty cool....Little expensive....I was gonna do this to my Old Mazda 3....:D They have a universal setup...

http://www.ststurbo.com/
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=134]
2007 Black CX7

Apexcone Raptor 6000k HID...
[color=Black]Corksport Turbo Inlet Pipe

Forge V1 BPV...ProSport Boost Gauge
3" DP back Exhaust System
[/color][/font][/SIZE]...[color=Black]PG SRI
SURE Motor Mount...
[/color]

Dash Hawk...Altered Customs CX-7 FMIC

bellalyssa

I'm guessing the universal application is the one to be looking at?

I think my main concern for the time being is the boring and building of the engine. When that gets done I should have a better idea of the kind of displacement I'll have and what I'll be able to support.

My friend says boring and building would be around $2300. I don't know what kind of power output I'll have afterward. He has to do research to see what we could max the displacement at.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14

Why bore? Do you have a lot of miles on that sucker? Wouldn't it be easier to just get the forged internals?

Hmmm... I wonder how easy it is to get new rods? :rolleyes:
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

bellalyssa

From what I've read (and this may be wrong) boring is a better option with a higher mileage engine. Now that I've typed that it doesn't make much sense to me actually...

I'm still trying to compile information about the process and unfortunately, there isn't a lot out there when it comes specifically to the Mazda engines.

Protege Garage has a completely forged engine: http://www.protegegarage.com/1298-product-1298.html

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14

If you're looking for a built motor, try contacting Ron Bergenholtz of Bergenholtz Brothers fame. These guys pioneered FWD drag racing performance and many Mazda engine builds, rotary or piston.

I know the Bergenholtz Brothers have a Mazda3 hatch like yours with a motor they built, a custom turbo kit they fabricated, and it's all run by a MoTeC Standalone with integrated OEM OBD-II CAN BUS (yes, sexy).

I'm honestly not sure if they even build motors for private consumers, and if they do, it won't be cheap. But at the least they might be able to shed some light into the dark corners of Mazda piston engine building, which seems to be lacking...

Also, I would recommend the TriPoint Engineering kit you linked in your first post in the thread. It's a very complete, well engineered, and thought out kit. You're not going to find anything better short of commissioning a custom kit that will cost double.

The Garrett GT2871R is a great option for the 2.3L 4 banger. You will get full boost early and still have the ceiling to put down a good chunk of power (around 365-fwhp reliably).

If you're itching for more than that, look into the GT3071R, which has a larger compressor for added power. The GT3071R can easily support over 450-fwhp on a piston motor of 2.3L.

One other thing to consider will be head/valve porting, camshaft selection, and then of course valvetrain upgrades (see why complex valvetrain motors, aka piston engines, suck? LOL j/k) like springs, retainers, etc. This is of course if you're looking for maximum performance...you'll already have the engine apart anyways.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14

Yep. If you have the damn thing out and apart, you may as well start collecting the parts now. :lol:

Maybe you can get an engine to work on while you drive yours around. Then you can just swap it out after it's ready! :)

Anyone want to donate (or sell cheaply) a 2.3L to the cause?
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14

^That's a good idea. See if you could find a 2.3L block at a junk yard or Ebay so your car doesn't have to be down for an extended period of time during the rebuild.

bellalyssa

I was definitely going to look around for a used block since my engine will be out of commission for at least two weeks. I'm going to talk to my friend this weekend about what parts I'll need for sure.

Does anyone know what company males aftemarket cams for the 2.3L engine?

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”