Car Died!

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
arctic_blue83

Postby arctic_blue83 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7drifter @ Mar 6 2008, 05:52 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=30505]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
nothing new yet just got all the coolant infested oil out and new in, also the air to fuel ratio needs to be ajusted[/b]

Does he have a wideband O2 installed? By "adjusted", I'm assuming you mean the car is running too rich?

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14

No wideband. The exhaust smells bad like gas is what I have heard.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

RX-7drifter

Postby RX-7drifter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14

no O2 sensor yet

T4 turbo, custom magnaflow exauhst, intake

RX-7 Chris

fixed yet?

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

RX-7drifter

nope need the wide bann O2

RX-7 Chris

What's the holdup?

My Car Blog

RX-7drifter

Rob needs to get the part

arctic_blue83

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7drifter @ Mar 7 2008, 10:30 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=30657]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
nope need the wide bann O2[/b]

If he's spending cash on a WB02, he could always just pay the guy's at Revolutions to tune the car with a tailpipe WB02 on their dyno.... just an idea. Who's tuning the car? If you guys are road tuning yourselves, I would recommend a few gauges, or at least the ability to datalog with a WB02, a boost gauge (hopefully you can datalog boost as well), an EGT gauge, and if you can, at least tap into the factory knock sensor (not sure if eManage can log knock count).

RX-7 Chris

At this point I would have someone else tune it as well.

My Car Blog

RX-7drifter

tuning has started yet once the wide ban gets here than tuneing will start and RP won't tune the Emanage talk to them many times about that and they said no, and with the knock sensor i dont think the Emange picks that up

rx8ghost

Postby rx8ghost » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14

I don't have an EGT or WBO2 gauge but I do have all the other gauges. I'm gonna try and get the WBO2 tonight hopefully.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:
Veilside D1-GT Body kit, Axailflow Short Shifter, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Proshift Gauges, Greddy Turbo Kit w/ Cobb AccessPORT, TurboXS exhaust w/ race pipe, CarPC, Synapse BOV, AEM Intake

arctic_blue83

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7drifter @ Mar 7 2008, 10:51 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=30667]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
tuning has started yet once the wide ban gets here than tuneing will start and RP won't tune the Emanage talk to them many times about that and they said no, and with the knock sensor i dont think the Emange picks that up[/b]

The guys at Revolution's won't tune an eManage? Wow... that's a shock... did they say why not? I've heard some not-so-good things about the eManage, but I didn't think they would flat out refuse. So I have a few questions if you don't mind? Here goes:

1. What kind of boost numbers are you going to tune for? I'm assuming around the 5-7psi mark?

2. Are you touching the factory timing tables? Me personally, at this point, I would leave them alone, at least until you get a knock sensor or find a way to piggyback off the stock knock sensor.

3. What AFR's are you planning on tuning for? Not sure what kind of AFR's people usually tune turbo rotaries for... I've only tuned turbo & NA inline, V's & boxers.... typically, EVO/DSM guys can tune as lean as 12:1 (some go farther) on pump gas without knock, whereas boxers have to be tuned a little more conservatively, most try and keep AFR's between 10.8-11.2:1 on WRX/STI's. Either way, keep in conservative.

4. Is he just getting a WBO2 gauge, or a WB that can connect to the eManage and log?

5. I've never worked with an eManage, is it just a basic load siting vs RPM table? Or does it site based on TPS ect?

I'm pretty far away... but if you guys could limp the car up here, I might know someone who would tune an eManage if Revolutions won't. If you guys need help, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

RX-7 Chris

Rotories can't run that lean. You need to keep in a littile on the rich side. With these cars it is better to waist fuel than burn up a motor. If you are to lean, these motors will detonate and blow an apex seal.

My Car Blog

rx8ghost

Postby rx8ghost » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14

1. What kind of boost numbers are you going to tune for? I'm assuming around the 5-7psi mark?
Yes exactly. With the turbo and stock fuel system I don't dare push anymore.

2. Are you touching the factory timing tables? Me personally, at this point, I would leave them alone, at least until you get a knock sensor or find a way to piggyback off the stock knock sensor. The E-Manage won't touch the timing table nor would I haha

3. What AFR's are you planning on tuning for? Not sure what kind of AFR's people usually tune turbo rotaries for... I've only tuned turbo & NA inline, V's & boxers.... typically, EVO/DSM guys can tune as lean as 12:1 (some go farther) on pump gas without knock, whereas boxers have to be tuned a little more conservatively, most try and keep AFR's between 10.8-11.2:1 on WRX/STI's. Either way, keep in conservative.
I'm shooting for an 11.8:1~ I've heard that's the best for the set up.

4. Is he just getting a WBO2 gauge, or a WB that can connect to the eManage and log?
I'm gonna get one to connect to the E-manage so I can log it. You said the LC-1 would do that?

5. I've never worked with an eManage, is it just a basic load siting vs RPM table? Or does site based on TPS ect?
It's basically just an injector map based on RPM ranges.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mods:
Veilside D1-GT Body kit, Axailflow Short Shifter, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Proshift Gauges, Greddy Turbo Kit w/ Cobb AccessPORT, TurboXS exhaust w/ race pipe, CarPC, Synapse BOV, AEM Intake

arctic_blue83

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7 Chris @ Mar 7 2008, 11:09 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=30670]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Rotories can't run that lean. You need to keep in a littile on the rich side. With these cars it is better to waist fuel than burn up a motor. If you are to lean, these motors will detonate and blow an apex seal.[/b]

I agree completely!! In the world on WRX/STI's, boxer motors don't dissipate heat as well as inlines, so we have to tune pretty rich as well, around the 10.8-11.2:1 mark, or else we can run the risk of cranking a ringland (more commonly on cylinder #4).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX 8 Ghost @ Mar 7 2008, 11:14 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=30671]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
1. Yes exactly. With the turbo and stock fuel system I don't dare push anymore.

2. The E-Manage won't touch the timing table nor would I haha

3. I'm shooting for an 11.8:1~ I've heard that's the best for the set up.

4. I'm gonna get one to connect to the E-manage so I can log it. You said the LC-1 would do that?

5. It's basically just an injector map based on RPM ranges.[/b]

1. I agree, didn't know you were still on the stock fuel system. Remember though, pushing 5psi up here is going to result in slightly higher IAT's (intake air temperatures) than it would on a car at sea level, since the turbo is going to have to work harder to create the same pressure due to the lower density of the air here.

2. So the eManage can't even modify timing? So it's basically just like a SAFC or DTEC... is it going to be controlling a BCS for the turbo? Or are you running a seperate boost controller?

3. I don't know what people usually tune turbo rotaries for, but a couple of things to keep in mind... first of all, who says that? What altitude are they at, and what octane fuel are they using? The fuel part being more important, as 93 octane has a higher resistance to detonation than 91 octane, meaning the higher the octane of the fuel, the leaner you can tune the car. Also, like mentioned above, it's better to run rich and burn excess fuel than to run lean and blow a motor.

4. I only assume the LC-1 is compatible with the eManage only based upon Chris running one. Do you know if you have the basic e-Manage or the e-Manage Ultimate? He mentioned he was running the Ultimate, so I'm assuming the LC-1 works with the Ultimate (EMU), but obviously, the basic e-Manage might not support the same features.

5. Injector map based on RPM? So, like IDC's vs RPM? What are your IDC's at right now? According to this, if you only have the e-Manage basic:
http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Ca...;SubCategory=48
You would only have 5 preset RPM alteration points... that's too much space in-between for me. There's also no mention of WB compatibility.. but it looks like it came with the EMU, in which case, the LC-1 should be just fine, and also seems as though you will have more RPM altering points, and mentions that in can in fact alter ignition/timing tables:
http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Ca...;SubCategory=47

6. Why the hell did Revolution's not want to tune your car again? Still a bit baffled..

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”