Fender Rolling

The How-To Forum
Number2

Fender Rolling

Postby Number2 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14

Hey all!

I haven't posted here in a while, so I hope everyone has been doing well. I moved away for a couple of years to Illinois, but I'm back in Denver now and here to stay!

My car passed emissions last week and I've sort of had a renewed sense of love for the thing. So I'm doing some fun upgrades to her, one of which is putting 15mm wheel spacers on. With this upgrade though, I want to roll the fenders, as I've got a decent drop with the coilovers.

I've briefly searched some forums and the consensus is that the best way to go without spending $100/corner, is to rent a tool and do it myself. I don't have a problem with this, as I like to take my time with my projects and get it right the first time. I also have a heat gun :)

Is anyone looking to roll their fenders who would like to go in on renting the tool? From what I've read it could be about $50 total for a day.

Thanks!
"Littering, and?..."

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14

There is a guy doing all 4 corners for 80.00 through Colorado Weekend Warrior Track Group on Facebook. Might check with Saul_Good about it.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14

I have a fender roller you can borrow. It depends on how soon though because someone is coming by tonight to borrow it for the weekend and there are one or two other people in town who want to use it and Shadow has been trying to get me to come to Castle Rock for over a year now to roll his and I just remembered that LOL.

This thing has been such a whore. It's definitely seen better days, and it gets used all the time. But it gets the job done.

Where in Illinois did you move? I'm from there originally.

Barn, that was me I think lol.

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14

I could be down to do this again. I got help from a CMZC'er a few years back, but oddly I'm getting rub again on down-sized (read: narrower) tires that I just bought (?)

Anyway... I'll keep tabs on this thread.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

Number2

Thanks ShadowDen,

I pinged Jimmy Chung from the facebook group you mentioned. Hopefully he can do it this weekend. $80 is a great deal!
"Littering, and?..."

Number2

speedjunkie wrote:I have a fender roller you can borrow. It depends on how soon though because someone is coming by tonight to borrow it for the weekend and there are one or two other people in town who want to use it and Shadow has been trying to get me to come to Castle Rock for over a year now to roll his and I just remembered that LOL.

This thing has been such a whore. It's definitely seen better days, and it gets used all the time. But it gets the job done.

Where in Illinois did you move? I'm from there originally.

Barn, that was me I think lol.

I was in Bloomington, Illinois. It's a college town for Illinois State and a couple of other colleges as well, so during the summer the town dies. But there's really nothing to do there so I'm glad to be back.

I'm going to try and see if this guy that ShadownDen pointed me to can do this job as it's a good price. If he's not available or doesn't like working on sexy Mazdas, then I'll be giving you a holler!

Thanks for the replies all!
"Littering, and?..."

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:<Snip...>Barn, that was me I think lol.

Yessir! Parking garage at my job, if I remember. =)
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14

Number2 wrote:I was in Bloomington, Illinois. It's a college town for Illinois State and a couple of other colleges as well, so during the summer the town dies. But there's really nothing to do there so I'm glad to be back.

I'm going to try and see if this guy that ShadownDen pointed me to can do this job as it's a good price. If he's not available or doesn't like working on sexy Mazdas, then I'll be giving you a holler!

Thanks for the replies all!

Oh OK. I'm from Pinckneyville. It's up to about 5000 people now, probably due to the prison population, and it was about 3500 when I lived there, so it's always dead lol.

OK let me know.

~Barn~ wrote:Yessir! Parking garage at my job, if I remember. =)

Yep, that's it lol.

Number2

Postby Number2 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14

So I had the guy, Jimmy, come over today to do the fender rolling. He only had time to do the front passenger fender. Let me know what you guys think!

"Littering, and?..."

Number2

To give an idea of what stock looks like...

"Littering, and?..."

Number2

The guy didn't do his homework, because I could have told him from reading a couple of fender-rolling posts, that we need to press on the outside with a block of wood wrapped in a lint-free cloth and press against the outside while rolling from the inside fender. He, however omitted this portion of the install and just pressed the entire fender out and watched it get flared to shit. He says he is going to shop around for a new fender and have his friend paint it. But they left me with a mangled lining and I'm not even sure if the clips are still there. This means junkyard fender and a whoknowswhat sort of paint job. I hope he comes through, but I really don't see it happening. This car is in immaculate condition and I don't know if I could go for some shitty mis-matched painted fender from a regular '04 mazda 3 sedan. At this point, I'm looking it as $400-$500 down the toilet. FML.
"Littering, and?..."

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:14

Yeah he did not do a good job at all on that fender. Although, I've never used a block of wood or anything on the outside. I'm just not sure this kid knew what he was doing. Sorry for your hassle.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:14

Damn. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I need to start screening who I let in the group. Hope he makes it right.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:14

That looks really bad.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:14

Number2 wrote:The guy didn't do his homework, because I could have told him from reading a couple of fender-rolling posts, that we need to press on the outside with a block of wood wrapped in a lint-free cloth and press against the outside while rolling from the inside fender. He, however omitted this portion of the install and just pressed the entire fender out and watched it get flared to shit. He says he is going to shop around for a new fender and have his friend paint it. But they left me with a mangled lining and I'm not even sure if the clips are still there. This means junkyard fender and a whoknowswhat sort of paint job. I hope he comes through, but I really don't see it happening. This car is in immaculate condition and I don't know if I could go for some shitty mis-matched painted fender from a regular '04 mazda 3 sedan. At this point, I'm looking it as $400-$500 down the toilet. FML.

Check with Geo. He hooked up with a MS3 fender not too long ago (maybe 6 months ago). It was unfinished and apparently OEM. Given the issues were caused by them, I would esentially get the parts you are happy ith and comparable to what is on te car, have it painted at the shop of your choice, and have them pay the cost.

Why were you having your fenders rolled (I can't see the pic)?

Return to “DIY”