I think I'm gonna start doing this. (2-stroke oil added to gasoline)

The How-To Forum
~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

I sure hope it doesn't cause any issues, but I won't know without trying. It's such a small quantity that I don't expect smoking. If I do start seeing MPGs go up, and a smoother idle though, it's on!

And plus, it's a perfect guinea pig vehicle, too. 120k on the clock and has never had a tuneup in it's life. Sometimes starts hard, and idles a little off until it warms up. We'll see what happens!

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

never had a tuneup?

I bet you need new plugs.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

Did you ever run this across any of the Audi guys? I mean those B5's have such oil issues to begin with...
one and one makes two, together we are free

~Barn~

I haven't ran it across any Audi forums, but they tend to be a little bit of an elitest group, and I'd probably catch more flack, than anything helpful.

And you're probably right Chris. I need to have the Timing/Water Pump done here soon, so I'll have them do all that other stuff, while they're at it. I bought it was about 60k on the ODO, and the woman I brought it from said it was her kids ride, but when he moved out, she kept it. I doubt they ever did any maintenance in that first 1/2 of life, and I know I haven't.

<------ Bad Car Owner.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

New plugs should really help the mileage. And a full cooling system flush.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

You're one of the lucky ones, lol. Those random Audis that are actually functional, regardless of maintenance history.

In my experience, I've actually seen the opposite in regards to the elitest nature. Rather, they tend to be cheap, nickle n' dime, DIY'ers:lol: Always looking for a second-hand item, extra freebie, or maintenance manual...
one and one makes two, together we are free

~Barn~

RX-7 Chris wrote:New plugs should really help the mileage. And a full cooling system flush.

The cooling system flush I did actually do. The coolant Res. developed a pretty nice crack in it, so when that reservoir got replaced, the flush was done and all that. Hoses got new clamps, etc.

I mean I will have stuff fixed when it breaks, but outside of oil changes and tire pressure, I'm not exactly Mr. Prevention.

kingtut wrote:You're one of the lucky ones, lol. Those random Audis that are actually functional, regardless of maintenance history.

In my experience, I've actually seen the opposite in regards to the elitest nature. Rather, they tend to be cheap, nickle n' dime, DIY'ers:lol: Always looking for a second-hand item, extra freebie, or maintenance manual...

You might be right. I've been damn fortunate with this car, despite my general attitude toward maint. I do firmly believe that they are built like tanks, but when stuff starts going wrong, it's mad expensive.

And I try not to be too big of cheap-skate with it. I just want to try this oil trick, to see if I can play-it-forward on my MS6. Depending on if it's a hit or miss here, will help make my decision.

tbot

Postby tbot » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

for sure let us know how it works!!! I'm not that pleased w/ my ms6's gas mileage, so itd be nice to see what it does. The only other thing I could see being as cheap is meth injection (about a $1 per fill up is what I remember OCD saying it cost him)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

Yeah I would rather do meth injection (I have it on my 8) since it basically steam cleans the inside of your engine, increases fuel mileage, and increases your knock resistance.
:eek:

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

im soo getting that adapter when i get back. now i gotta look for my omp dammit.

Fly boy

Postby Fly boy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

Update:

I have done this for 2 full tanks of gas now. Filled up when light was on, with some highway and city mix. Filled up 11.3 gallons today after all highway and got 33 mpg. Don't know if I messed up numbers or what, but it was a 4mpg increase for highway. I will keep doing this and update with the next tank or two.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

I used to add a little MMO on fill ups. Sounds like the same basic principle. I'll try it after some people here report some findings.

Fly boy

Postby Fly boy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14

used it in a few+ tanks now......

I am not using it anymore in my 3. I don't know if it was because of weather, driving style or what, but I saw a 1mpg DROP in city. Highway was about the same.

I have used in only in a couple tanks in my truck, so I am still researching that vehicle. I will update that when I have more results.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14

I've been using MMO in my truck every other fill up. I have noticed fuel last a little longer. I haven't been tracking my miles since I only have one trip odometer and I use that for oil life so I will try logging fuel mileage better.

I'm a little worried about calculating my fuel mileage on it, I don't want to see my 8mpg in the city! LOL
:eek:

dozer

Postby dozer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:14

been doing it for the last three months, Works great for me

Return to “DIY”