Public Service Announcement

Talk about your Rotaries!
vierte

Re: Public Service Announcement

Postby vierte » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14

One laced up! Only three to go. Color looks great with the orange centering ring. I found that some of the bolts that came with the wheels are a different size. They are barely different diameters yet same size 12 point socket head. I have no idea if they go in a certain spot or if a different size came on the front wheels but I guess I'm going to have to figure it out. The hardware is pretty rough and corroded tho... I'll probably need to replace them all at some point.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:14

that looks really good.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

vierte

Postby vierte » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:14

Thanks. I also wanted to point out that I have a fantastic girlfriend who doesn't strangle me when I work on car parts on the kitchen island!

vierte

Postby vierte » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:14

The worst part about Megasquirt is the cheep DB37 connector. Unfortunately I won't be getting rid of it entirely just yet however I will be building a case that uses a AMPSEAL connector that has a jumper to the DB37. If I were building a MS from scratch then I would leave the connector off and wire leads to the AMPSEAL connector.

I got the case already and I've modeled some simple end plates and supports to hold the Megasquirt and the MS3X expansion card. Just have to print them off and assemble.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14

I like that idea, and almost wish that I had done something about wiring in a different more automotive type connector. But I would still be stuck with the db37 on the ms3x board since it comes pre-assembled. Maybe someday once all the other problems are sorted I will get crazy and desolder them and convert to something better.

vierte

Postby vierte » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14

Yea.. it's too bad they come assembled. It's possible to desolder them but it sucks.

vierte

Postby vierte » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14

Not this build.. but I had to take a break and build some motors.. this thing is going to be cool too. Bridge port NA rx-2. Assembly is balanced to 1 gram with late model 12A components. Below you'll see some rotors from a twin dizzy 12A. Dual side seals, 6mm Apex seals. The convertible is a turbo LS swap. It won't be going to the rally. We were trying to get the rx2 running and drivable for the rally but not sure if we'll take it or not. It's eventually going to get restored to its road race days. It's pretty sweet!

vierte

Postby vierte » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:14

More shiny parts! I decided to powder coat the intercooler plumbing and it turned out pretty good! Finally got the fuel rails cleaned and powdered as well as the fuel pressure regulator top hat. Now it's time for assembly!! The rails and top hat are in wrinkle black powder... hopefully it's not too hard to keep the dirt out of it. I haven't had the best luck keeping wrinkle paint clean but it shouldn't be too hard to power wash if needed. Picked up a cheep 100psi pressure sensor to try and bring fuel pressure into the Megasquirt to.

vierte

Postby vierte » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14

Finished up the last big piece before final assembly. Downpipe.. Check. It's not exactly pretty but it will do the trick. Good thing it will be wrapped. 3-in 409 stainless steel and it barely fits. I also started the final assembly of the manifolds, fuel system, and wiring harness. I have to say it's looking pretty good. Photos don't really do it justice.

My goal was to have this thing running by the end of this week. That would give me time for a tune and shake down before taking it across the country. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll make that date but it will be close. Less than a month until I have to pack this thing on a trailer and head east!

vierte

Postby vierte » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14

T Minus 12 Days and Counting.... We leave for deals gap in 12 days! and the car isn't driving yet. :/ Been having some issues at work that has been taking my time for the last month. It is getting close however. Engine bay is almost wrapped up. Still have to wire up the fuel pump, finish the brakes, and make a couple turbo oil lines. I did get the ECU wrapped up. Just hope that it works.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14

What are your thoughts on the chinese pipe kit you got from a weldability standpoint? What process did you use to weld the downpipe and flanges?

vierte

Postby vierte » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14

I think it was pretty ok. I'm not a great aluminum welder.. so I had a couple different people tack it and weld it. The better welder put nice beads on it where the less experienced welder made some fairly ugly tacks. My thought is.. if your skilled enough.. you can make a good weld even if its poor metal. That's as long as you clean it well. My only complaint about piping was it seemed like the mandrel bends were a little out of round. It's either that or I didn't get them cut perfectly perpendicular to the bends.

The down pipe and flanges I welded myself with a tig welder. I still have to weld up an aluminum flange for the turbo oil return line.

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14

She's alive! And Scarry low! I fought some rpm sync issues with the Megasquirt for about 3 days until I found a broken solder joint and dug out a spare crank sensor and dropped it in. Problem solved. I still have an issue with my trailing coils not firing but I can live with that if I can't figure out the problem today. I suspect a put a jumper in the wrong spot in the connector jumper harness inside the ECU case. Got the front bumper back on last night after spending an hour figuring out how to reassemble it all.

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:14

What a journey. The car has had low oil pressure for a while and the day before we left for deals Gap I decided to cut open the oil filter and inspect it. I found metal shavings in the oil. Luckily I had a spare motor built for it already. The old motor was built about 10 years ago and had a pretty hard life. So at 9pm the night before we left, we decided to swap the motor into it. 7 hours later it was running. 4 hours after that we hit the road. First time I ever pulled a motor while it was still warm.

New motor before dropping it in.

The crew getting alignments

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:14

Damn what awful luck! Props to you for doing what was needed and making your deadline though!

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”