Possible Purchase

Talk about your Rotaries!
onenote08

Possible Purchase

Postby onenote08 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

Well Mortose is having me inquire about a possible buy of an FD. I am new to rotary but not new to cars or Mazda in general.

Link to car is here: http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4647751283.html

As you can see it's been listed for a while, and is cheap and could have problems and whatever else. I've talked to the current owner (please enlighten me if any of you have looked at it, talked to him whichever) but right now I need to pick brains and possibly have help if this is something that I pick up.

Here is what I know:

Car has been down for a year
Engine was rebuilt a year ago out of a shop in LA (I've asked if he has paperwork)
13B JDM
~112k on the body

says it needs the wiring checked (he doesn't know where the EGT goes) and new IC piping.

"I gave up on it a year or so ago. I had to swap a few pins to make the JDM wiring harness work with the US ECU. The original 13B was not able to be rebuilt so I ordered the JDM one."

Says I am welcome to scope it and everything if I want. Paint is OK, interior seats could use new skin and a couple of miscellaneous things.

He also said he's put a bit of trans fluid in the housings.

So, as I am continuing to educate myself with online research, please tell me if you this this is going to be a monster or if it could be a-ok. If it is a-ok would anyone be willing to look at it with me, possibly help with the wiring fix and lead me in the right direction of IC piping?

I appreciate any and all insight. Thank you in advance.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

Is this a car you intend to buy and drive right away or is it something you can afford to have downtime on?

If you can afford the downtime (depending on your threshold for that downtime) might be worth getting.

If not, IMHO i'd pass. There are too many eyebrow-raisers IMO. With that we have a knowledgeable rx7 community that are willing to help and get another FD on the road.

My suggestion if you get it, is to diagnose and fix known issues first and don't go crazy upgrading things that are not known issues.

Let us know what you decide.

onenote08

We can afford to have down time as this would be a 3rd car. I'm all about doing it right but I don't have enough knowledge and experience with this to pin point issues and help is appreciated.

Car is located in Longmont. I would prefer to buy locally but have considered traveling to get a hold of one that has been taken care of. Would someone in or around that area be willing to meet?

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

I would be willing to go look at it with you. That sounds odd about the ECU wiring. I have swapped USDM ECU into mine before and never had any issues.

So the car currently won't start?? I'm a bit confused

Also sounds like he doesn't have title in hand so be cautious not to be scammed. Get a notarized bill of sale so he can't screw you over. If you need any assistance with that let me know.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

Dwduc wrote:I would be willing to go look at it with you. That sounds odd about the ECU wiring. I have swapped USDM ECU into mine before and never had any issues.

So the car currently won't start?? I'm a bit confused

Also sounds like he doesn't have title in hand so be cautious not to be scammed. Get a notarized bill of sale so he can't screw you over. If you need any assistance with that let me know.

Take that one step further and do the transaction at his bank. Pay the car off and have it signed over to your name.

Saul has said he swaps USDM/JDM ecu's in his Miata. I know they are different cars, but I would think they would stay fairly consistent with interchangeability. Saying that, JDM honda/aura engines don't have all the same emissions stuff, so maybe that is the difference.

onenote08

Well the guy works evenings, so probably sometime this weekend is when we'll be looking at it.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

Alpha (Matt) is good with electrical, so he might be able to help with that. But I need to take a look at the link, I can't pull it up at work on a gov computer.

I'm not sure anyone in the Springs enjoys doing electrical work, but swapping a harness isn't too bad lol. I don't like electrical troubleshooting, and I don't know anyone who does. However, that's not to say it can't be fixed. And assuming he's not blowing smoke and it actually is an issue at the ECU connectors, that might not be too bad. Honestly though, if you get it, I'd just swap either the ECU or the harness or whatever as a whole that way it mates up correctly. And unless the car is a true JDM, I'm not sure why he went through that trouble to begin with. I can't think of a single reason it would need all that if just the engine is JDM.

You might want to keep looking but check on this one if you can't find anything else. If possible, try to start with one that doesn't have any problems, or at least has very minimal problems.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

Pretty sure he is clueless about the ECU, I have swapped back and fourth between JDM and USDM boxes. Only differences I can think of at the moment that concern wiring are the JDM cars don't have "check engine" lamp, no AWS, no EGR and no cat in the downpipe so the oxygen sensor might be located slightly different and usually no cruise control. Oh and the sticker is on the opposite side of the ECU ;) We can always try my ECU in it as a test.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

Are those the four pins that are broken off on the Power FC?

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

Assuming this isn't a scam, the first thing that popped into my head was: "good candidate for a V8 swap"...... Sell "JDM" 13b in order to offset partial cost from Chevy LSx..... Wiring problem "solved" :D

I know, I know, blasphemy!

******puts flame suit on*********
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

onenote08

Well I don't think this is a scam and I think DW will be available (I hope) to look at it with me. He's been very open and told me that I can scope it. So I don't think there is anything hidden here minus the ecu/wiring issue.

I would love to do an LS swap but you know, we have two evo's already tugging at the bank account.

I feel like the deals here are few and far between. I've looked in Texas at promising rx7's but if you get it for cheap and it's not too much of a headache, might be worth it in the long run.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14

roninsoldier83 wrote:I know, I know, blasphemy!

Where's the blasphemy? Nothing wrong with suggesting inserting one of the best performing motors ever made into one of the best handling cars ever to hit the road course. Some would even think that was the perfect combo.

But I digress....I wouldn't spend no more than $6k on an FD Rx7 that doesn't run. For the asking price, it better come with some enticing add-ons...like nice wheels.

onenote08

FDEEZ wrote:Where's the blasphemy? Nothing wrong with suggesting inserting one of the best performing motors ever made into one of the best handling cars ever to hit the road course. Some would even think that was the perfect combo.

But I digress....I wouldn't spend no more than $6k on an FD Rx7 that doesn't run. For the asking price, it better come with some enticing add-ons...like nice wheels.

No blasphemy whatsoever. I have seen them around and for a pretty penny too.

onenote08

Postby onenote08 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/stranger51105/library/rx7

Pictures are in this album. Currently mobile. Thanks DW for talking to this guy for me.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”