Rocket Bunny.. GO!

Talk about your Rotaries!
D Walker

Rocket Bunny.. GO!

Postby D Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14

So yeah, its true. The FD is going full Rocket Bunny!

This all started when a blog post teaser of the RB FD kit showed up on my facebook. The kit is way cool to me, very aggressive with a vintage racer feel to it, it made the boy racer in me go all giddy and just screamed over and over BUY ME NOW! But alas, the kit wasnt in the country and only a projected date of arrival. Bah. Humbug.
Since the paint is (like all VR FD's) faded and there are a couple of dents- driver door and fender from prior owner, and the front bumper is a bit worn, it needed a bit of paint and bodywork anyway. On the phone with my Greddy vendor one day he affirmed that they did indeed carry the Greddy Aero and would gladly pre-order a kit for me and let me know when it was in the country.
Last week he called and told me it was in country and on the way to the warehouse and and soon as it could be packaged and shipping scheduled it was on its way to me. SWEET! Got the tracking number today- even better- with delivery by FEDEX on Monday the 8th.
Sooo over the weekend the motor will get pulled out and rebuilt. I have all the bits on hand, including a new in box RX-8 eshaft etc. It will have to make do with the stock twins a bit longer, at least until it passes emissions and gets its plates! The gt3582R sitting on my counter is very tempting, especially since I have so many goodies stashed away to make the car really fun to drive, for now there must be some restraint.
So the motor comes out this weekend, the kit arrives monday and I will fit it to the car, then its off to the bodyshop to get sprayed. Normally this is something that would just be done by myself, but the shop isnt really set up to spray a car and time is an issue.
Hopefully it will come out of the bodyshop by the following Monday or Tuesday and the motor can be put back into it. I am thinking about building a new exhaust since it is pretty much entirely stock now, something along the lines of 3" turbo back with a metallic core cat and resonator, then splitting into a Y leading to a pair of smaller mufflers, one on each side. Yeah, its not a simple or as light as a single exhaust with a muffler on the end, but hopefully this gives a deeper, more muscle car tone to the exhaust while maintaining the rotary BRAP! we all know and love.

To really complete the car I would love to change the interior colour from tan to black, find a set of Alcantara JDM seats in decent shape for decent money, and change the steering wheel out. However that would mean replacing the headliner which I'm not likely to find in the first place, finding a decent black carpet, and of course finding a set of of those Alcantara seats that arent in crappy condition. More likely than all that is to have the tan carpets super cleaned, do a new set of Leather seat covers, and throw on a sweet Sparco wheel.

Lastly, wheels! I want to do 17x9 F and 17x10 R RPF-1's in white or classic gold. Since I only have 17x9's on hand, its more than likely I will start with 17x9's all around and order in the 17x10's later. RPF1's dont come in white or gold, so obviously will have to paint them. I considered going to 18's, since I currently have 18's, but there is no real reason to and I dont want the extra weight. In an ideal world I would simply pick up a set of 17x10F and 17x12R BBS modulars, but they are about 1200 each these days and that seems excessive for street car wheels.

I will post pics as I have them :)
Attachments
RB Black2.jpg
RB Black.jpg
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14

Cool kit. Does it come with the rear diffuser?

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14

The rear diffuser is optional and wasnt available when I ordered the kit, so am considering ordering it too. I do like the look but wonder if its going to be too fragile for dailly use.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

I really like the rocket bunny kit.

With your automotive connections, you don't know someone with interior skills? I was quoted ~200.00 to do a custom headliner in the MZ3. I actually want to have some custom floor mats made for the S2000.

Can't believe enkei doesn't make the RPF1 in white. Could have sworn they used to. It's a good looking wheel.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

If it came down to it I could do the headliner, once upon a time I did aircraft upholstery and have done a fair amount of interior work on restorations. right now though there is a lot on my plate already without adding more, and I am not even sure I would really like black any better than the tan.

Might be a moot point, I havent found an on the shelf Tan leather interior kit so who knows what the final outcome will be. No real desire to do the Sparco/Recaro route, and although a set of RX8 seats are tempting they are even heavier than the FD seats. Maybe NC MX5 seats would work, but again, the choice is black or black lol.

millertime

Postby millertime » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

I can't wait to see this in person. Mind my asking how much the kit itself costs? If you don't want to say no big deal.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

millertime wrote:I can't wait to see this in person. Mind my asking how much the kit itself costs? If you don't want to say no big deal.

http://www.greddy.com/products/aerodynamics/rocketbunny/
3200 (list)+450 for the diffuser.

millertime

Postby millertime » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

That's not as bad as I thought considering the price of some of their other kits. The GT-R kit is 15k...

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:14

Very very Wide!
Attachments
2014-09-08 13.51.16.jpg
2014-09-08 13.50.57.jpg

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:14

Yeah, still wide. Pretty positive wheel spacers are not an option. I spoke with Enkei today and it looks like I can have a set of the 6666 Wheels made in 17x9.5 -30 front and 17x10.5 -60 rear, but it is definitely going to cost.

Motor will come out tomorrow, should have the kit fitted by Thursday, then its off to paint!

Oh, and the kit came with Stainless Steel Phillips screws to mount the body, but they arent doing it for me. Going to get some SS or Nickel plated buttonhead allens and SS washers to mount the kit, and use fender welting to make it look all clean and pro. While the body is off gettting painted, need to figure out a super bright LED setup to put the signals and running lights in the little holes in the front bumper, which shouldnt be too hard I dont think.
Attachments
2014-09-08 15.47.28.jpg
2014-09-08 13.57.46.jpg

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14

Started to pull the motor today, should have had it out but other things interfered. The underside of the car is in good condition, since as an RX7 it was preserved in oil. Going to take a lot of foamy engine degreaser and simple green to remove the years of oil, grease, and road smut from the subframe etc. but at least its not a rusty pile of crap. Also discovered the sway bar mounts and endlinks are bent from some sort of "incident" in its past.

So still more or less on schedule even though I didnt actually yank the motor today. The bodyshop will get the car on Thursday or Friday and should have it done by next Friday, so I can drop the engine in over the weekend and call it good! Well, except for the wheels, which are becoming a real issue.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14

Do you know for a fact it was in an accident in the past? My car had bent mounts and end links and it wasn't in an accident. I'm not sure about the end links but bent mounts are very common.

millertime

Postby millertime » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:14

From what I recall the sway bar mounts bending is a relatively common occurrence. There used to be some Widefoot mounts that people would switch to. At least I think that's what they were called.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:14

I agree, the stock swaybar mounts are like swiss cheese & are prone to bending. I ended up using widefoot mounts + racingbeat mounts in combination to go with my with my tri-point swaybar. Nothing wrong with being overly cautious :-) Tri-point has really nice mounts (w/ bronze bushings) to go with their bar...unfortunately, after I bought the mounts it didn't jibe well with my setup.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:14

I think the grind marks on the swaybar bushings point in the direction of impact, perhaps multiple impacts... But yeah the stock mounts suck and as it happens I make a solution for that, just kinda amazed at how twisted the front mounts are, but then again that explains the lack of an undertray and a split in the lower bumper...

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”