FDEEZ's Build Thread

Talk about your Rotaries!
Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:14

lOOkatme wrote:There is a guy at peerless tire that puts on tires and does a good job. he also removes the tires from the backside of the wheel with the face down. Jake is his name, location is academy by woodman.

That's his name! Yea he did a good job for me too. Mounted my 225 on 9in wheel no problem. I'll be seeing more of him, ESPECIALLY since no one else will touch that size wheel/tire.

Saul_Good

So if you go, there will be 2 FDs at autox next Sunday. You guys can get your battle on.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:14

I doubt I'll produce some competitive times if I autoX it on the 14th. I'll primarily be just trying to enjoy the car & have some fun. I've long ago come to the conclusion that besides my poor driving...that my steering ratio is way too long to be any good at autoX. I would have already installed a steering quickener on the car...but I haven't engineered a solution yet to safely install the quickener for tight courses and easily/quickly remove it for road racing.

Saul_Good

There are so many other cars with worse ratios that compete -You'll be fine. Plus 1000 on the fun aspect. If you don't want to shag cones sign up for "Timing & Scoring - Any" and sit inside the trailer.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:14

reminds me I need to pre-register.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14

Just received a massive crate...can't wait to open it. Too bad I had to kick one of the vehicles out of the garage to fit this thing inside :-(

Let's just say this is my favorite front-end upgrade to an FD Rx7. Not that many people have it, it's a subtle change, and it allows the potential for exponential performance gains. I may make a mold of it in case I break it (which I probably will).

The winter project begins...
Winter Goal: lighten up the car & add huge amounts of grip.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14

Come to autox this weekend to get a before measurement! :D

Better yet come with us on the 31st of $75 trackday at PMP.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14

So what's in the box?? Now I'm super curious.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14

Lsx crate motor?:lol:
That would be a tough mold to make. I am curious too!

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:Come to autox this weekend to get a before measurement! :D

Better yet come with us on the 31st of $75 trackday at PMP.

This weekend won't work. The 31st may be more feasible. Would be nice to get a baseline before I start swapping things out.

speedjunkie wrote:So what's in the box?? Now I'm super curious.

I'll try to take pics over the weekend.

Shadowden wrote:Lsx crate motor?:lol:
That would be a tough mold to make. I am curious too!

Haha...that definitely would be a tough part to mold and reproduce, lol. For my application I'm content with the current powerplant at the heart of my car.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14

Ill hold you to that. 😉

FDEEZ wrote:This weekend won't work. The 31st may be more feasible. Would be nice to get a baseline before I start swapping things out.

I'll try to take pics over the weekend.

Haha...that definitely would be a tough part to mold and reproduce, lol. For my application I'm content with the current powerplant at the heart of my car.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14

Part of my winter goals is to fit 315 wide tires in the front of the car. Here's what will allow me to do it:

In addition to making the front of the car 4 inches wider & lighter, this carbon fiber front end:
- Eliminates the headlights (molded in)...I rarely drive the car at night anyway
- Eliminates the side markers (shaved off)
- Eliminates the turn signals (molded in...but there are provisions for them if I want to cut them out)
- Has an integrated undertray
- Has a wider bottom lip for increased aero

The beauty of it all is that it compliments the stock look of the car, which in my opinion...the factory 93-95 front bumper is still the best looking. Last, since the fenders & front bumper are made as a unit...the wide fenders don't look oddly out of place. I waited a long time to grab hold of one of these.

I'll install Pettit rear flares & 335 tires to compliment these.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14

What brand kit and did you overnight from Japan?

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14

if you are running 315 up front, I can help you size wheels.

I know how much we can go inward, you will want to run a 12.5" or 13" wide wheel for the 315 (michelin PS2 is 12.5" wide). Hoosier 315/30/18 is 11.8" wide so a 12" will do.

Problem with running that wide and that tall is you will hit the wiring on the drivers side, and also hit the frame. May need some modifications to run all this.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:What brand kit and did you overnight from Japan?

It's actually American made. Jeff Kiesel from 7parts engineered this for his track car.

Here's how the finished product will look like. As you can see, Pettit rear flares compliment this front end well.

lOOkatme wrote:if you are running 315 up front, I can help you size wheels.

I know how much we can go inward, you will want to run a 12.5" or 13" wide wheel for the 315 (michelin PS2 is 12.5" wide). Hoosier 315/30/18 is 11.8" wide so a 12" will do.

Problem with running that wide and that tall is you will hit the wiring on the drivers side, and also hit the frame. May need some modifications to run all this.

Once I get it installed, getting help picking out wheels would be much appreciated. I would love to run a squared 17x12 setup if I have the real-estate to support it. However, most folks with this bumper run 17x11 up front. I'll just have to take some measurements once installed. But with 2 inches of additional space on each side, 12 inch wide wheels in the front appear possible (especially if you can fit 18x10 wheels on stock fenders). I'm just concerned about clearing my control arms.

As far as mods to fit 315 tires, I'm already trying to figure out if I'm going to keep, relocate, or eliminate the coolant overflow tank, windshield washer tank, factory fender liner, and the chassis harness. Plenty of work ahead.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”