Build Thread

Talk about your Rotaries!
$crillaTor

Build Thread

Postby $crillaTor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14

Well as some of you know, I'm going single turbo because I'm sick of messing with getting the twins working correctly. I've got all the parts and started tearing the car apart yesterday. I'm hoping to at least get all of the vacuum hosing done this weekend and get the new turbo mounted up.

Here's the upgrades I'm doing:

A-spec GT3574 turbo
Custom V-mount intercooler setup
FFE fuel rails with EV14 650x2 & 2000x2 injectors
Aluminum AST
Supra fuel pump
Re-locating battery to storage bin
Greddy elbow
Pineapple racing idler pulley
Aeromotive A1000 FPR
Titan Motorsports FPG

I'm going to try and clean a bunch of stuff up also under the hood. There's a bit of surface rust that I need to take care of.

Fun times.
Attachments
20140418_152255.jpg

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14

Cool project. Please post your progress. I'm still unsure of what exactly I will be doing with mine so I will be paying attention to how this works out. Good luck and let me know if ya need a hand. I might like to come see the progress as it comes together.

And lol at "hosing" my gf uses that word also.

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14

Looking for to the completion of this build so we can hit up the mountain roads in larger groups this year.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:14

Well I haven't had nearly as much time as I'd hoped to work on the car. So far all I've really done is remove the old turbos and bolt the new one up. Maybe this weekend I can get to the vacuum mess...

What I didn't realize until I was deep into it is the hard coolant line that goes to the heater core needed to be removed in order to make this turbo fit. So I yanked that out and will have to get some new hose to connect it back up.
Attachments
20140425_162923.jpg

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:14

Dwduc - Yes. I will try and keep this thread updated with whatever I accomplish. I would welcome a helping hand but I seem to only be able to work on the car during odd hours. Last night I couldn't sleep so I mounted that turbo at about 2am...

And hopefully I can get to the 'hosing' soon... hahahaha

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Fri May 02, 2014 9:14

I haven't had nearly the time to work on this as I was expecting... Anyway here is where I am.

Still in the middle of removing the vacuum rats nest. I had previously simplified the sequential vacuum hoses when I installed the engine, but there is still quite the mess.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with all of the extra wires on my wiring harness that go to the stock sequential vacuum solenoids. Should I just cut them off? I really don't want to leave that mess under the UIM...

Here's a thumbnail of what I'm talking about.

There's about 6 connectors hanging off the harness that won't be used. To cut or not to cut?? I'm really wondering if I should yank the whole harness out and 'redo' the whole thing... Sounds like a pain in the ###, but it would probably be much nicer in the end.
Attachments
20140502_113347.jpg

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Fri May 02, 2014 9:14

Run a hose for the coolant, ensure you buy a heat wrap to protect the hose from getting heat cycled out from the turbo.

I would remove the harness and take out what you don't need and retape everything. That is just me, you can leave all the hold stuff there disconnected. It's a call you need to make.

I updated mine to a rywire harness for a single turbo, but my old wiring harness was really bad.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri May 02, 2014 9:14

If your harness is old and crusty, I'd just cut off those wires. But if it's still pretty fresh, I'd take it out and remove the wires to make it nice, then rewrap it and add some heat barrier. When I got my new harness in 2008, I wrapped it with heat barrier and a couple years ago I took it out and removed all the wires I didn't need for single turbo, and it was still like a brand new harness.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Fri May 02, 2014 9:14

Yea... that's the route I'm going to go. I'll probably start removing it tonight. It IS indeed pretty crusty.

Thinking about it though, I have another harness as well. But for some reason, I don't think it was quite the same. It had different connectors at the computer end. I should pull that out and take a picture... maybe some of you could identify it. I was told it came off of a 94' FD 5-speed, but it is definitely different.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 03, 2014 9:14

As far as I know there were only a couple differences between the 5speed and auto harnesses. Take a pic or we can meet up and I'll take a look at it. I know the harness pretty well by now lol.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon May 05, 2014 9:14

So here's a couple pictures of my spare harness. Notice the big blue connector. I'm guessing it was something that somebody put on to plug into an aftermarket ECU?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon May 05, 2014 9:14

No that's a stock connector. IIRC it plugs into the body harness that wraps around the front of the car and into the passenger side. I think I found it on my car but mine looked smaller, like not as many pins.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon May 05, 2014 9:14

Interesting. That blue plug will not plug into either my stock ecu or the PFC... The other harness I have has the same amount of pins, but it is broken into more than just one big connector. Or I am remembering wrong and it is one of the other connectors that goes to the ecu that doesn't fit... I just know for sure I tried to use this one because it was on the engine that I bought and it would not connect to the ecu because of the plug configurations.

Once I get the other one out, I'll do a side by side to show you what I mean.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon May 05, 2014 9:14

The blue connector doesn't plug into the ECU. Only the yellow plugs do...two from the engine harness, and two from the body harness. Those four plug into the ECU.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14

Yea, you're right. I'm remembering wrong. I absolutely remember that there was something different on that harness though on the ECU end... I guess I'll figure it out once I get the other one out.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”