New to the Forum and to Rotaries - Have Questions...

Talk about your Rotaries!
ZackTheKack

New to the Forum and to Rotaries - Have Questions...

Postby ZackTheKack » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:14

Hey, so I'm new here. New to Mazda. New to Rotaries... I'm just new. I picked up an 85 GSL-SE as a non-running, flooded car, bump started it and it runs fine. I had BLP (Black Label Performance) put a clutch in and track down a fuel issue. I have new injectors on the way and they will be here Monday (hopefully). After purchasing the GSL-SE I picked up a torn apart, torn up 91 FC with two engines (an EGI and an REW) and am going to either strip it and sell the shell or keep it and make something different with it, I haven't fully decided. I decided to get on this forum because, well, it's Colorado and I can't think of a better place to start than my home state.

My first question is, is there a shop that specializes in rebuilds? The FB is going to need one soon as it has 208k on the clock and I can't imagine the apex seals being good for much longer. Second is, anyone on here specialize in REW stuff and someone I should seek out for advice and help? And finally, I've heard a multitude of different things from a variety of sources on doing a newer N/A 13B swap into the GSL-SE and some say it's simple. Others say it's bolt in. But I can't find any information regarding electronics (EFI control, MAF, tuning, injectors, etc.). I ask because I have a good 13B out of the FC that I could stab in if the one in the SE is dead beyond dead when I do get it out to rebuild it. Also, I've been talking to Goopy Performance, anyone have experience with their products? Is there a better option for daily driver stuff?

Thanks. Look forward to talking with you all.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

Believe it or not but the FB is the most reliable rotary car ever made. A GSL-SE motor can last well over 300k is taken care of. The best way to tell how the car is going to last is to do a compression test.

If you are willing to drive the car to the Springs, I can take a look at it.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

Nice thing is that Calhan isn't too far to the springs. There seems to be a high density of rotary people there, including ^^, who is on the backside of a restoration build of a GSL-SE, right Chris?

lurkskywalker

Postby lurkskywalker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

Did you buy the white rx7 with the black hood and doors?

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

I specialize in rotary engine builds of all generarions, and I love Goopy parts, thier seals are pretty much all we use now.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

Nice! Welcome.
I've always wanted a rotary but I'm too sker'd.
Image Image

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

welcome to the site, 1st Gen RX7 12a and 13b engines last longer than any gen rx7 expecially the 3rd gen LMAO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

ZackTheKack

Postby ZackTheKack » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Chris, I am like, 30 minutes away from the springs and have to drive in at least three times a week, making an extra trip isn't out of the question for advice, help, and guidance on these cars. I'm in love, but they still terrify me.

Lurkskywalker, I did pick up that FC.

D Walker, that's good to know. I've been leaning that way because I, quite frankly, cannot afford the ceramic seals I've seen, as much as I'd love to use them. Around how much for rebuilds? I know more goes into it than "oh well it will be $xxxx.xx," but a baseline is always good to have.

Batman, they are terrifying. But only because they're different. I always swore I wouldn't own one because I didn't really understand them, but once you have them, they're awesome and not nearly as intimidating as they seem initially. My recommendations if you really want one, download ALL of the manuals, go through the various systems you know you'll have to understand, and then just go at it like it's your first car. There seems to be TONS of resources for these cars. I couldn't believe it, actually.

Boosted12a, VERY good to know. I am enthralled with these cars, but knowing that now, I may consider selling the REW once I properly identify it (it's removed and partially disassembled).

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14

Welcome! Another rotary in the area, this is awesome!

So...any good parts in that REW? lol

ZackTheKack

Postby ZackTheKack » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14

Actually, yes, from what I've seen of it anyway. The rotors will need a good dip in something and it needs seals and the like, but overall, it looks pretty good and the housing that's off isn't scored up or anything like that.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14

Don't be afraid of them, they are easy. If it is any easier for you, I work half days on Fridays. I might be able to make a trip out to you but I'm not sure when.

If you want, I could PM you my cell number.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

ZackTheKack

Yeah, if you wanted to do that, that'd be great! I can drive in whenever. Like I said, it's not a big deal. Friday would work for me barring any unforeseen circumstances.

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14

Nice to see another rotary being kept a live!! Welcome to the club!

boosted12a wrote:welcome to the site, 1st Gen RX7 12a and 13b engines last longer than any gen rx7 expecially the 3rd gen LMAO

REW's are perfectly reliable as long as long as you do the scheduled maintenance. Everyone forgets the "rebuild at 80k miles" maintenance tho lol.
2003 MazdaSpeed Potege: Wiseco Pistons, Molnar Rods, Walboro 255, Megasquirt Ecu, Front Mount, Daily Driver.
1991 Mazda Rx-7 Convertible: Rebuilt 4-Port Turbo Block, TII drivetrain swap, Walboro 255, Megasquirt, Aeromotive FPR, JIC coilovers, 4" Stainless exhaust, Ticket Getter.
1976 Honda CB750F: Cafe Racer, Powder coated, Rebuilt, re-bearing/bushing, tapered stem bearing upgrade, Garage Project
2014 Silverado: Mazda Support Vehicle
2003 Subaru Forester: What was I thinking?...

ZackTheKack

Thanks for the welcome Vierte. I do have a question... What exactly is the issue with REW's needing a rebuild so early? I'd always heard that rotaries need rebuilt every 70,000-100,000 so when I picked up this SE with 206,000 it was REALLY scary trying to get it started. All I could do was think "it's going to blow up and ruin my life, put an apex seal through the housing and into my eye... Or the rotor is going to fly out of the hood and into my head..." and then it just puttered to life. Lots of smoke, but it lived. I just did the injectors today so it will be interesting to see how different it is now once I have the opportunity to make sure everything is buttoned up tomorrow or Friday.

Also, once you get under the MASSIVE intake manifold there's like nothing to these cars outside of the engine or in it. I'm really intrigued by these things and excited to have them. I hope I can stick with these cars better than I have in the past.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14

REW's simply require the reliability upgrades- single turbo and aftermarket radiator to start, the stock twins literally cook the engine which is why the coolant seals tend to fail and the damned thing wont stay cool to save its own ###.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7

RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”