RX-7 Woes...

Talk about your Rotaries!
$crillaTor

RX-7 Woes...

Postby $crillaTor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14

Originally Posted by $crillaTor View Post
At this point, I have no idea...

What happens is, when the car warms up (runs fine until it gets to operating temperature) it dies and won't start again until cooled down. (Warmup temp being ~80-85C)

1. I changed the spark plugs.
2. Checked the ignition coils.
3. Changed out the crank angle sensor pulley. (Other one was bent)
4. Checked the voltages on the map sensor. Only checked while idling and off. Didn't apply pressure to it, but I never get into boost anyway before the car dies. The idling voltage was at 1.3V which is a bit low. The voltage while the car was off is 2.25 which was a little low according to the FSM.

Now, I'm scared to do a compression test... Could be a blown seal? Could be the map sensor? Could be the ignition coils only give out after being warm?

I dunno. I'm about to set the thing on fire...

Andy helped me tune it a couple of times, and these problems weren't present then. This all started happening after my oil filter blew off. (Don't ask, long story, embarrassing, got oil everywhere...)

93' - full exhaust - 99' spec turbos - PFC - Datalogit - Apexi intake

Originally posted by lOOkatme
I would double check the map again and ensure the correct map sensor is checked. I remember us tuning and all of a sudden the map sensor on the powerFC was checked to another one.

The map typically runs rich when the car is warming up. perhaps when the car reaches optimum temps, the car is running too lean and cannot run. double check your map settings and ensure stock is checked.

Well I did a compression check. Looks good. I got about 90psi which if I'm converting it right for our altitude based off a chart here:http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-density-volume-d_195.html I should be at about the equivalent of 105 psi on both rotors at sea level.

Andy - You're probably thinking in the right direction. It seems that when the engine is hot and won't start, if I unplug the MAP sensor and plug it back in, the car will start and run rough for about 4 seconds until it dies again... I'll plug in my laptop and check it out tonight to see if it reverted again for some reason. Could us having the wrong setting on there for awhile have messed up my sensor?

Does anyone have a spare stock MAP sensor that I could borrow to check this out if it comes to that?

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14

$crillaTor wrote:Well I did a compression check. Looks good. I got about 90psi which if I'm converting it right for our altitude based off a chart here:http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-density-volume-d_195.html I should be at about the equivalent of 105 psi on both rotors at sea level.

Andy - You're probably thinking in the right direction. It seems that when the engine is hot and won't start, if I unplug the MAP sensor and plug it back in, the car will start and run rough for about 4 seconds until it dies again... I'll plug in my laptop and check it out tonight to see if it reverted again for some reason. Could us having the wrong setting on there for awhile have messed up my sensor?

Does anyone have a spare stock MAP sensor that I could borrow to check this out if it comes to that?

I don't think anything will be ruined or anything like that if the wrong setting is used. if you tuned with one map sensor, and somehow, and I really don't know how, the setting gets changed, the car would not run very well or at all.

I do have a stock map sensor somewhere that you can borrow and see if everything is good with the sensor.

I can maybe stop by this weekend and we can try it. send me your map and I can check your map out to see if anything is weird.

$crillaTor

Sounds good. I would appreciate it.

I just sent my map to you.

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14

if i were a betting man... i would bet that something was damaged when you had the oil filter failure. something vacuum or electronic related. im not too familiar with fd systems or the powerfc.. but if you are able to datalog the engine parameters when it starts, dies, and wont start.. i bet it would have some useful information.
2003 MazdaSpeed Potege: Wiseco Pistons, Molnar Rods, Walboro 255, Megasquirt Ecu, Front Mount, Daily Driver.
1991 Mazda Rx-7 Convertible: Rebuilt 4-Port Turbo Block, TII drivetrain swap, Walboro 255, Megasquirt, Aeromotive FPR, JIC coilovers, 4" Stainless exhaust, Ticket Getter.
1976 Honda CB750F: Cafe Racer, Powder coated, Rebuilt, re-bearing/bushing, tapered stem bearing upgrade, Garage Project
2014 Silverado: Mazda Support Vehicle
2003 Subaru Forester: What was I thinking?...

$crillaTor

vierte wrote:if i were a betting man... i would bet that something was damaged when you had the oil filter failure. something vacuum or electronic related. im not too familiar with fd systems or the powerfc.. but if you are able to datalog the engine parameters when it starts, dies, and wont start.. i bet it would have some useful information.

You're probably right. That seems to be when things started getting wonky. I just have to figure out what it was...

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14

Let us know if you have the car running well?

Also let me know if your map is working out for you. If we need to make some final adjustments we can.

Andy

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14

Well... I just checked it and it is doing the same thing. I cleaned all of the oil soaked connecters last night thoroughly, and it seemed to idle different. It was hunting quite a bit until it died. I'm wondering if it is just the MAP sensor??

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14

I was looking on the rx7club forums and found this thread: http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/leading-ignition-coil-pack-408816/

'superior force' had the identical problem that I'm having and it was a coil...

"in my case, the car started right up and ran great until warmed up, then it would start backfiring and crapping out as soon as the coils got hot....pretty strong indicator to me the lead coil was toast....I replaced all three just because I don't relish pulling the UIM off and my car is a '93 with 65k miles

edit: all three coils passed the resistance test cold"

Luckily I have spare coils. I'll go through that headache as soon as I get time. Hopefully it it is the leading coil...

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:14

So I swapped out all the coils today and it seemed to help. When the car warms up, it actually will restart and just idle really bad. However, it is still not fixed... Feels like it is running on one rotor or something. REALLY rough.

I did notice another symptom though when it started running like crap. My oil pressure was at 0 and not moving at all.

Could that oil pressure sensor be bad and be causing all of this?? Somehow I doubt it...

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:14

Check your grounds...

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:14

$crillaTor wrote:So I swapped out all the coils today and it seemed to help. When the car warms up, it actually will restart and just idle really bad. However, it is still not fixed... Feels like it is running on one rotor or something. REALLY rough.

I did notice another symptom though when it started running like crap. My oil pressure was at 0 and not moving at all.

Could that oil pressure sensor be bad and be causing all of this?? Somehow I doubt it...

The grounds are important like the above poster.

the oil pressure is fine in your car, most likely the gauge is junk, mine also acts up all the time.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14

I still haven't had a chance to check the grounds. I fully intend on doing so as soon as I get the time.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully it is something simple like that...

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:14

I think I fixed it. I replaced the crank angle sensor and whatever the one next to it is and my car ran for about 30 minutes until I shut it off. It did not die on its own. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet because of the rain, but I think it is fixed.

Both of those sensors had very obvious deep grooves in them from when I bent my CAS wheel.

[img][IMG]http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/scrillator/20130901_113548_zps39b6f883.jpg[/img][/IMG]

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:14

I hope that is your problem. Be a big score to finally fix your car and get it back to 100% running!

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:14

It looks like that was the issue. I drove it around for awhile today with no dying problems. It does need another tuning session though... A couple of odd spots in the map.

The next thing to figure out on this thing is why I have intermittent boost issues. It seems to be boosting sequentially now, but not consistently.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”