Mountain Cruise?

Talk about your Rotaries!
FDEEZ

Mountain Cruise?

Postby FDEEZ » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:14

Anyone know of a good scenic route close to the Springs...preferably with a lot of twisties? I'm looking to do a nice spirited drive one of these weekend mornings and don't want to venture too far out. I'm still not familiar with all the roads close by.

Do any of the Rotards have any scheduled cruises in the Springs?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14

There are several good roads around. I'm planning on doing a lot of cruising once I get my car back on the road. You can take 67 out of Woodland Park up through Decker, and you could take the road (I don't remember what it is exactly right now, 85 possibly), the road Bishop's Castle is on. Both of those are fun but there are so many out there.

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14

I am down, let me know.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14

Sweet! That's three of us already.

Where have you been, Andy?

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14

If I ever get my car running again, I'm in. I'd like to meet a few of you rex owners here in the springs.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14

What's wrong with your car? Maybe we can do a meet at your place and do maintenance lol.

$crillaTor

At this point, I have no idea...

What happens is, when the car warms up (runs fine until it gets to operating temperature) it dies and won't start again until cooled down. (Warmup temp being ~80-85C)

1. I changed the spark plugs.
2. Checked the ignition coils.
3. Changed out the crank angle sensor pulley. (Other one was bent)
4. Checked the voltages on the map sensor. Only checked while idling and off. Didn't apply pressure to it, but I never get into boost anyway before the car dies. The idling voltage was at 1.3V which is a bit low. The voltage while the car was off is 2.25 which was a little low according to the FSM.

Now, I'm scared to do a compression test... Could be a blown seal? Could be the map sensor? Could be the ignition coils only give out after being warm?

I dunno. I'm about to set the thing on fire...

Andy helped me tune it a couple of times, and these problems weren't present then. This all started happening after my oil filter blew off. (Don't ask, long story, embarrassing, got oil everywhere...)

93' - full exhaust - 99' spec turbos - PFC - Datalogit - Apexi intake

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Sweet! That's three of us already.

Where have you been, Andy?

I am around, but seems no one else is.

I am trying to get the guys car above running well with a tune, but he keeps running into issues with other things as we go.

We really need to look his car over and fix all the issues with it before we can get a good tune on it.

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:14

$crillaTor wrote:At this point, I have no idea...

What happens is, when the car warms up (runs fine until it gets to operating temperature) it dies and won't start again until cooled down. (Warmup temp being ~80-85C)

1. I changed the spark plugs.
2. Checked the ignition coils.
3. Changed out the crank angle sensor pulley. (Other one was bent)
4. Checked the voltages on the map sensor. Only checked while idling and off. Didn't apply pressure to it, but I never get into boost anyway before the car dies. The idling voltage was at 1.3V which is a bit low. The voltage while the car was off is 2.25 which was a little low according to the FSM.

Now, I'm scared to do a compression test... Could be a blown seal? Could be the map sensor? Could be the ignition coils only give out after being warm?

I dunno. I'm about to set the thing on fire...

Andy helped me tune it a couple of times, and these problems weren't present then. This all started happening after my oil filter blew off. (Don't ask, long story, embarrassing, got oil everywhere...)

93' - full exhaust - 99' spec turbos - PFC - Datalogit - Apexi intake

I would double check the map again and ensure the correct map sensor is checked. I remember us tuning and all of a sudden the map sensor on the powerFC was checked to another one.

The map typically runs rich when the car is warming up. perhaps when the car reaches optimum temps, the car is running too lean and cannot run. double check your map settings and ensure stock is checked.

$crillaTor

Since I totally hijacked this thread, I'll start a new one.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14

This cruise is looking promising. We may possibly have 4 that's in now.

What date should we aim for to allow enough time for folks to get their rides on the road?

lOOkatme wrote:I am down, let me know.

I'm usually out stretching the legs of my FD every weekend morning before the weather turns to crap. If youre up for trying out that road mentioned above one of these weekends, let me know.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14

I'm shooting for Sept 7th

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:I'm shooting for Sept 7th

I see how it is.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14

FDEEZ wrote:This cruise is looking promising. We may possibly have 4 that's in now.

What date should we aim for to allow enough time for folks to get their rides on the road?

I'm usually out stretching the legs of my FD every weekend morning before the weather turns to crap. If youre up for trying out that road mentioned above one of these weekends, let me know.

If you want to hit it this weekend I might be down. How about Sunday morning?

I know the road Erik is talking about, so I would be fine with hitting that road up.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:I see how it is.

Well I was thinking maybe we could combine the two. Instead of just driving up to Golden, how about take some fun roads on the way? When I first thought about going for a cruise I forgot you were having a mx day, but I think we can make it all work together. Hell I might not even make it anyway LOL.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”