Lost power steering?

Talk about your Rotaries!
gs-panda

Lost power steering?

Postby gs-panda » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14

So my girlfriend wanted to feel how's it like to "drift" or power slide around the coner. So I took her to a empty abandon parking lot near our school and just started to flick the 7 slide ways and have good time...and I hit a pile of dirt and went off road. After I got the 7 out of the dirt I notice that the speedometer went out (but im not worried about that) and the steering went heavy....any solutions? Or would it be ok to drive it as is? (I mean I wouldn't mind not having it since it feels ok)

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14

Did you notice any leaks on the ground? lol I assume there is still fluid in the system.

gs-panda

Postby gs-panda » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Did you notice any leaks on the ground? lol I assume there is still fluid in the system.

I'm going to check that tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't anything to serious.

gs-panda

Postby gs-panda » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14

Well there is still fluid in pump...I drove it today to work and the power steering was working until it went out....then I shut the car off and then the power steering comes back on?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14

OK you got me on that one lol. I'm thinking electrical now. Maybe something with the computer since it comes back on when you turn the car back on. But wow. Do you have an aftermarket computer?

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:14

This is an FC, right? I'm not very good with FC specific things (Maybe Ian or Will can weigh in...) but I can't imagine there is very much electrically with the hydraulic power steering. I know it should vary assistance based on speed, but it should be a simple circuit. Maybe there is a fuse that is semi-broken and making it intermittent?

I say ditch the power steering altogether, RX-7's are so lightweight it's not needed. I lost the power steering (removed the pump, looped the lines on the rack) in my FD and I don't miss it for a second. It only makes it difficult for parking lot maneuvers, over 5mph it doesn't make a difference at all.
:eek:

gs-panda

Postby gs-panda » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:This is an FC, right? I'm not very good with FC specific things (Maybe Ian or Will can weigh in...) but I can't imagine there is very much electrically with the hydraulic power steering. I know it should vary assistance based on speed, but it should be a simple circuit. Maybe there is a fuse that is semi-broken and making it intermittent?

I say ditch the power steering altogether, RX-7's are so lightweight it's not needed. I lost the power steering (removed the pump, looped the lines on the rack) in my FD and I don't miss it for a second. It only makes it difficult for parking lot maneuvers, over 5mph it doesn't make a difference at all.

I think it is an electrical faulty...But may just get rid of (same with the a/c). I find it easier to control the car at high speeds w/ out power steering. Plus it's weight reduction right? ;)

gs-panda

speedjunkie wrote:OK you got me on that one lol. I'm thinking electrical now. Maybe something with the computer since it comes back on when you turn the car back on. But wow. Do you have an aftermarket computer?

I pretty sure it a stock computer.

SecondGenPAt

Postby SecondGenPAt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14

gs-panda wrote:I think it is an electrical faulty...But may just get rid of (same with the a/c). I find it easier to control the car at high speeds w/ out power steering. Plus it's weight reduction right? ;)

bad idea. there is a lot more involved with de-powering a power rack. For starters, you have to disassemble the rack to remove the spool valve which enables you to weld the tension rod to the cage to lock the input shaft to the worm gear. There are a couple other things associated with it as well.

Side thought, FC's with hard suspension had speed sensitive power steering I believe. (in laymans terms this means an electrically operated valve that bypasses fluid to the rack to give less power assist at higher speeds)
your valve, ecu, or wires to said valve (if fitted) may be faulty.

Upon reading the repair manual, It seems that the pump itself is a 2-stage unit. (for noted speed sensitive assist) the valve appears to actually switch pump circuits to the rack. you can try disconnecting the valve, then drive your car like you normally would.

I have another idea, but need more information from you, such as: after you loose assist you shut the car off and restart it. you then have full assist, right? This period when the engine is off, is it long like 30 minutes long, or 10 seconds long?
also, do you only loose assist after you have been driving long enough to warm everything up? or do you sometimes loose it before pperating temp?
Hakuna Matata

SecondGenPAt

Found it!
Look in the fsm, chapter 15 page 89. 15-89
Hakuna Matata

gs-panda

SecondGenPAt wrote:bad idea. there is a lot more involved with de-powering a power rack. For starters, you have to disassemble the rack to remove the spool valve which enables you to weld the tension rod to the cage to lock the input shaft to the worm gear. There are a couple other things associated with it as well.

Side thought, FC's with hard suspension had speed sensitive power steering I believe. (in laymans terms this means an electrically operated valve that bypasses fluid to the rack to give less power assist at higher speeds)
your valve, ecu, or wires to said valve (if fitted) may be faulty.

Upon reading the repair manual, It seems that the pump itself is a 2-stage unit. (for noted speed sensitive assist) the valve appears to actually switch pump circuits to the rack. you can try disconnecting the valve, then drive your car like you normally would.

I have another idea, but need more information from you, such as: after you loose assist you shut the car off and restart it. you then have full assist, right? This period when the engine is off, is it long like 30 minutes long, or 10 seconds long?
also, do you only loose assist after you have been driving long enough to warm everything up? or do you sometimes loose it before pperating temp?

We I shut the car off I have full assist. When I drive it really varies... Like sometimes (from what I notice) it has full assist for 20 to maybe 2hours...in the mornings I still have full assist even when the car has been warmed up.

SecondGenPAt

well, unplug the valve at the pump and drive it. If you don't loose assist then you need to start trouble-shooting all of the inputs and outputs. unless you don't mind full assist all the time
Hakuna Matata

SecondGenPAt

Postby SecondGenPAt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:14

what's the story on this? Did you try unplugging the valve?
Hakuna Matata

gs-panda

Postby gs-panda » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14

SecondGenPAt wrote:what's the story on this? Did you try unplugging the valve?

Sorry for taking long to reply been busy with school, so I decided to leave it alone for now. I do want to go manual steering so I'm going to try buying a depowered steering rack from the rx7club (if I can find someone, that is). Plus it doesn't really bother me as it use to.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”