New toy showed up in the mail

Talk about your Rotaries!
speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14

There is no heater core bypass valve lol, it's either hooked up or it isn't. Do you have a hose going from the rear driver's side of the engine to the firewall, connecting to a metal line that runs across the firewall and through it to the interior? And also beside that the other hose coming into the engine bay and running to the coolant passage under the filler neck? Those are the hoses for the heater core. If you have them hooked up and as long as you're not losing coolant I'd say there is another issue. I cracked my heater core trying to change those hoses back in 2008 and just plugged off both sides of the engine, haven't had heat since. I'd start with those hoses though.

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14

Thanks VRx8, it has a decent brap to it. It has a PFS exhasut which sounds like crap. That will get fixed real quick.

I double checked the hoses, they are installed properly. Coolant level seems to be good. So I think I'm down to 2 possible issues. Either the heater core is clogged (the car has been sitting for some time) or the flapper that switches the vent between warm and cold is no longer operational... going to try to flush the core in the morning.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14

That's a good call. I didn't think about the core being clogged. The other is a good possibility too though. Just sucks you gotta pull the dash. Maybe you doing yours will motivate me to do mine this winter lol.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14

Looks good man! You work fast lol.
:eek:

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14

vierte wrote:tada!

20121113_155701.mp4 - YouTube

This thing wouldn't be driving around right now without Daves help and spare parts lol. Thanks again man.

Have to work through a couple more issues with the car:

1. Theres no heat :( I'm assuming there is a heater core bypass valve somewhere.. probably conveniently located under the dash.

2. Theres no speedo.. guessing that has to do with the haltech? Using a gps right now to know how badly im breaking the speed limit.

3. Think the AEM Wideband took a crap. Anyone know a place locally-ish that has widebands in stock? Preferably not an AEM.

for the wideband you might try 3R racing http://3rauto.com/ and corsport http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/index.php. They are located fairly close to one another. There is anothe shop that is escaping me at the moment that some of the Mazda3 guys have used a lot in the same neighborhood.

Edge autosports is the other shop. http://www.edgeautosport.com/

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14

I forgot to tell you Will SCR Motorsports in Loveland should have some wide bands in stocks. Real close local option.

vierte

Postby vierte » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've built a few motors before.. starting to get pretty quick at it. I'm crossing my fingers because none of them have popped... yet lol. SCR had a wideband in stock, but man are they expensive! $225 compared to $160 shipped is a bit steep, I replaced the sensor in the wideband in the car and it seems to be working well now..

Turns out the flapper is working but the heater core was clogged up. Speedjunkie, I looked at what it takes to get that sucker out... its no wonder you just bypassed the core lol.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14

Yep, that's a lot of work and no part of it is fun lol.

vierte

Postby vierte » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14

Just drove the car to the other side of the country...1600miles. No issues and it knocked 20mpg.. when I arrived my brother opened a storage unit and said... "lets build a backup fd!" Lol

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14

FD's are pretty good on fuel on the highway. Thats a hell of a break in! lol

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14

I thought I was getting great mileage on the highway this last trip home. I did the math and it was 16-19mpg lol

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14

Haha another FD?! Sweet!

Sorry we couldn't get together earlier to get my tools back, let me know when you're back in town and we'll meet up.

alpha

Postby alpha » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14

Hey Vierte,
Not sure if you've done the heater core yet, but I've never had to physically remove a clogged one. If you disconnect both heater hoses at the block you can flush the core with garden hose water pressure. Just go back and forth between the two until it breaks up the clog and flows freely. Good luck!
-alpha-
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:14

Sup Matt, I ended up using a car wash pressure washer to blast the clog out. Worked like a charm! This was after the turbo rubbed a hole in the metal coolant tube to the heater core. Figured I had to disconnect the lines anyway so why not spray it out.

alpha

Postby alpha » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14

So how did you handle the cracked fin?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”