Bad Idle...

Talk about your Rotaries!
christi

Postby christi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:14

I'll have to see what I can do either Wednesday when I am off or sunday. By the way this weekend topped off the idle but it's been acting like this with rough start since we changed the spark plugs. Would it be better to try the water idea than to pay Mazda 90.00$ or so??

Sent from my iPhone.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:14

iani1.1 wrote:Yea distilled only. But 2500 is kinda high. Typically above 1500 gets most carbon out. Above 2500 just burns it off almost immediately.

I usually feed it through the LIM.

With atf you have to replace the spark plugs after cause they usually get pretty fouled. A teaspoon for each rotor face is more than enough.

Water doesn't burn. It doesn't matter how high your RPM is, you want heat to aid in changing the water from a liquid to a gas (steam), where it will clean the carbon. If it doesn't phase change into a steam it won't really do much, or at least as effectively.

Feeding through the LIM usually only feeds one rotor then, or will have unequal distribution which isn't ideal. I like the UIM because it's easier to get equal amounts of water to both rotors. On my FD I use two nipples on the LIM joined with two vacuum hoses and t-fitting, however, because it's the easiest place to get to.

christi wrote:I'll have to see what I can do either Wednesday when I am off or sunday. By the way this weekend topped off the idle but it's been acting like this with rough start since we changed the spark plugs. Would it be better to try the water idea than to pay Mazda 90.00$ or so??

Sent from my iPhone.

If the problem started when the plugs got swapped I would start there. Start with what you changed last, it's probably the issue.

And doing the water steam cleaning is real easy like I outlined, no need to pay a Mazda stealership anything, they won't fix it anyways.
:eek:

phearless

Postby phearless » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

Pumping water into live combustion chambers kinda scares me.... I recognize that a lot of you more experienced guys have done it.... but you're just that; experienced. Christi may be knowledgable, but she's still an enthusiast. I'm a mechanic.
I do give her props for trying and learning, but there comes a time when you just have to say "eff it", and take it to the dealership. (No offense, Christi.... I'm just trying to help). She's come a long way from when I first met her, in terms of knowledge.... but she has a long way to go, before she's ready to truly be her own mechanic. Part swapping is one thing... backyard decarbonizing is another, entirely.
The problem is that (as we all know, from high school) liquids do not compress, and oil doesn't mix with water. If she pushes too much water into the mani, she'll grenade her engine, when the rotor face hits the compression stroke. Bad things will happen.

In her case, it's much better to take it to Mazda. If the technician there is worth his weight in lead, it'll fix a lot of her problems. Had one done on my RX-8, a few years ago, and it worked wonders. I honestly believe that the OMP we swapped out, was dumping too much oil into the engine, and the result is she's got a sludged-up engine.
Never regret anything that made you smile.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

or a cheaper alternative and safer way is the BG treatment. the old shop i used to work at does it for a fair price. cleans everything from the injectors down to the oil pan.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

iani1.1 wrote:or a cheaper alternative and safer way is the BG treatment. the old shop i used to work at does it for a fair price. cleans everything from the injectors down to the oil pan.

Can an individual purchase BG, or do you have to acquire it through a shop?
one and one makes two, together we are free

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

phearless wrote:If the technician there is worth his weight in lead, it'll fix a lot of her problems.

I'll go ahead and answer this with no, LOL...from the experiences of many on this forum and others. One of the reasons they're called stealerships and hated so much haha.

Still reminds me of when Zico came back from Iraq and went to Mazda to see if they had any RX-7s and the salesman told him they never made any 7s and he was probably looking for an RX-8. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

christi

Postby christi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

If that is the case how much would it cost if I had you guys do it. By all means I love to learn but tbh I am not as comfortable to do that with out lolsupervisionlol.

Sent from my iPhone.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

phearless wrote:Pumping water into live combustion chambers kinda scares me.... I recognize that a lot of you more experienced guys have done it.... but you're just that; experienced. Christi may be knowledgable, but she's still an enthusiast. I'm a mechanic.
I do give her props for trying and learning, but there comes a time when you just have to say "eff it", and take it to the dealership. (No offense, Christi.... I'm just trying to help). She's come a long way from when I first met her, in terms of knowledge.... but she has a long way to go, before she's ready to truly be her own mechanic. Part swapping is one thing... backyard decarbonizing is another, entirely.
The problem is that (as we all know, from high school) liquids do not compress, and oil doesn't mix with water. If she pushes too much water into the mani, she'll grenade her engine, when the rotor face hits the compression stroke. Bad things will happen.

In her case, it's much better to take it to Mazda. If the technician there is worth his weight in lead, it'll fix a lot of her problems. Had one done on my RX-8, a few years ago, and it worked wonders. I honestly believe that the OMP we swapped out, was dumping too much oil into the engine, and the result is she's got a sludged-up engine.

I see where you're coming from, but have you ever attempted the steam cleaning in a rotary engine? It's pretty fool proof. You do realize it's also impossible to hydrolock a rotary, right?

Furthermore, when you hold the higher rpm while sucking in the water, the water is phase-changing from a liquid to a gas (water to steam) in the combustion chamber. Without getting all high school chem 101 in here, steam does compress. Hell, I inject 400cc/min of water into my motor with my water injection kit.

This is also why you use a vacuum line. The engine won't be able to physically suck in more water than what the vacuum line can provide. We're talking about a 0.125" diameter hose. The motor doesn't have enough vacuum to suck in enough water to dent a rotor face (besides, an apex seal would eat shit before any rotor face got dented. Pressure always seeks the weakest link, and an apex seal will always be weaker than a rotor, although the scenario is just as bad I suppose in the end).

I was driving in Phoenix during a legit monsoon once in my 8...hit a puddle large enough to be a small lake and had water coming OVER the hood. I had a duct in the bump that feed air directly into my airbox. It sucked it at least a few gallons I would guess. The motor bogged horribly. Nothing ill happened except for my MAF sensor getting wet which threw off it's readings (hitting over 400 grams/sec of air in an NA Renesis! Ha!).

The point I'm attempting to illustrate it rotaries love this, and it's pretty hard to screw up.

Mazda dealerships and rotaries DON'T get along, at least not since 1998 or so when all the experiences rotary mechanics got feed up with how Mazda was treating them and jumped ship. Mazda no longer let dealerships do rebuilds or even really overhaul rotary motors, they make them just pull them out and ship them to a re-manufacturing plant. No Mazda dealership (under Mazda's direction at least) has rebuild a single RX-8 Renesis engine. The techs are not really trained on how to do that stuff.

They do have a de-carbon spray at the dealerships, but it's just $60 of aerosol formed Seafoam. You can get a can of Seafoam at any auto parts store for $8 bucks.

I get it if you think the car needs to go a dealership, but the techs aren't going to know much and in the end you're just going to get ripped off. just trying to issue a friendly warning here.
:eek:

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

kingtut wrote:Can an individual purchase BG, or do you have to acquire it through a shop?

places like napa or oreily usually have it. some autozones have no clue what that stuff is.

edit: if they dont teach the rotary in tech school then usually mazda stealership techs have no clue what they are or any knowledge of them. in DADC they never taught that, i listened to the instructor to his bs about the rotary.

christi

Postby christi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14

Well seeing as i ve never done the water thing before, I'm happy to learn; with of course a bit of help.. I'll pr ovide food and beer :P

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:14

Why not just run seafoam through the motor?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

phearless

Postby phearless » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:14

christi wrote:Well seeing as i ve never done the water thing before, I'm happy to learn; with of course a bit of help.. I'll pr ovide food and beer :P

This is more the kind of thing I was looking for, here. Yes, I recommended that she have the decarbonizing done, and suggested the dealership... the Technician in me, took over.

As for the dealerships service stations....South Tacoma Mazda, in Tacoma, WA, had some good, knowledgable dudes working for them. I never had a bad experience with them, at all.
Maybe they were the exception to the rule. I didn't know that the dealerships didn't do remans on rotary engines.

Still reminds me of when Zico came back from Iraq and went to Mazda to see if they had any RX-7s and the salesman told him they never made any 7s and he was probably looking for an RX-8. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's classic. But, you can't really expect too much out of most salesmen. No offense to the good salesmen, but I've met more than my fair share of commission jockeys that don't know a DOHC from a hole in the ground.

Lastly....I didn't intend to start a flame war, and I hope that's not what anyone else thought. Christi's been a friend of mine for almost 10 years, and I was there when she bought her current RX-7. I'd hate to see her haul off with good intentions, and destroy her car.
That day we were all there turning wrenches on her car, was awesome, and I'm hoping to see the day when she's the one with a ratchet in hand, and grime up to her elbows, learnin' some total noob-job how to do stuff to his car.

christi

Postby christi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14

So with Ll that anyone willing once the weather is not snowy to do some decarbing ?

Sent from my iPhone.

christi

Postby christi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14

So....
All I need now are 3 things, well 4 if you count this one...

*starter
*clean MAF sensor or replace it
*new filter
*fix exhaust leak for what Mazda didnt do when I paid them

phearless

Postby phearless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:14

christi wrote:So....
All I need now are 3 things, well 4 if you count this one...

*starter
*clean MAF sensor or replace it
*new filter
*fix exhaust leak for what Mazda didnt do when I paid them

I'll let you know when to head on up, my way. I've re-invented myself lately, and next, I'm re-inventing my garage, when my taxes come in. I'll have a crapload more tools, and a better motivation to work on things.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”