RX-7 FD3S Tuning Docs

Talk about your Rotaries!
chickenwafer

RX-7 FD3S Tuning Docs

Postby chickenwafer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14

I've been researching various aftermarket engine management system (EMS) solutions for my FD RX-7 ever since I bought her back in February of '10. Since that time, I have been compiling some documents/papers/information on the various EMS' in the market for this platform.

Since I plan on doing all my own tuning, I flooded my brain with as much information as I could. I eventually came to the conclusion that the Apex'i PowerFC was the standalone for me. Why?

-Largest tuning pool of users.
The PFC roughly makes up 85% of aftermarket tuning users with the FD3S platform. No other EMS is even close.

-Easy of use.
Due to the large number of users, online help is incredibly easy to obtain.

-The Commander.
While it's not a HUGE deal, the Commander hand held device DOES make it easier to view critical tuning parameters, sensor readouts, and the like at a glance. It's much easier than lugging a laptop around shotgun while running the FC Datalogit box with multiple "Watch" windows up. Not to mention you can make "on-the-fly" adjustments if needed. Plus, it looks cool!

-True Plug-N-Play capabilities.
The PFC installs into the factory harness without fuss- you just need to clip 4 wires (emissions systems on USDM cars that weren't on JDM cars). The PFC reads all the factory sensors, and you can even install the GM 3-Bar sensor when you up the boost past 17psi (the limit of the factory "2-bar" Mazda map sensor).

-Very Little Limitations.
Admittedly, at first, I was slightly apprehensive about the PFC. Let's be honest, it's an 11-year old (release in 1999) standalone. Aftermarket EMS technology has progressed light-years since then. Think about what laptops and home PC's were like 11 years ago...they don't hold a candle to today's super computers.
All my reservations were dismissed once I delved deeper into the hardware and features of the PFC. In all honestly, however, you NEED the FC Datalogit box and software to extract the most from your PFC tuning experience. Don't be that guy who does all the tuning on the Commander- it's like trying to eat steak through a straw- not gonna happen! Not to mention you're loosing out on a bunch of different features the Datalogit unlocks.
Further proof of the near limitless power of the PFC are the countless users producing well north of 500rwhp on the standalone. Really, if you want the best, look at dropping $3k on a Tec3R or MoTeC M880. But for the price, the PFC is the best option.

-Controls the Factory Twins like OEM.
The PFC can control the factory, over-engineered and headache inducing, 72-vacuum line sequential twin turbo system like the OEM system does, which is pretty good. Additionally- with the FC Datalogit- you can even electronically disable the sequential system and run an EXTREME version of "poor mans" non-seq conversion, just to see if you like it without actually changing anything mechanically. Good luck doing that on an off-the-shelf AEM, MoTeC, Microtech, Tec3R, etc

-Easily Remove all Emissions
It's no secret the factory-equipped and government mandated emissions bullshit clogs up the FD's engine bay and robs power. The PFC will simply ignore any sensor not plugged in, so no check engine lights (CELs) and no "limp modes" by not having the AWLS plugged in, or the Evap solenoid, the air pump, or anything else. This makes going single turbo, simple seq, non-seq, or just simply "cleaning up" very easy.

Okay, those are my humble reason I elected to go with the PowerFC. Does it have limitation? Of course- every EMS has it's Pros and Cons. I felt the best trade-offs lied within the PFC, however.

The PFC is also setup unlike ANY other EMS I've ever tuned with. The scales (X and Y Axis') are in complicated metrics most normal people can't bother to understand. And there is no way to simply change the pressure units to something more manageable such as PSI, Bar, or KPA. Once you can recalibrate your brain, however, the system isn't too difficult to understand.

Also, for those who don't know or are curious: the FC Datalogit is a box that installs in-between the PFC and the Commander. It comes with software you load onto your laptop and allows you to tune the PFC with a laptop.

Originally, Apex'i never designed the PFC to be tuned by the end user with a laptop. It was ONLY designed to be tuned by the Commander. Remember, this was back in '99 when the average consumer didn't have a laptop and they were bulky, expensive, and slow. So, only authorized Apex'i tuners and dealers has this "box" that plugged into the PFC (Apex'i PRO) and the software that allowed them to tune the PFC with a computer, and generally on a dyno.

Only a few of these unicorns (Apex'i PRO boxes) ever slipped into the hands of enterprising consumers. So, a New Zealand company- Datalogit- got their hands on one these boxes, reverse engineered it, and released what is basically a consumer-grade device for end users to tune their PFC's with. And since the software associated with these boxes was proprietary, Datalogit has to write their own software as well, creating what is called "FC Edit".

Basically, most people go by the norm that the Commander is for viewing tunes/information, and the FC Datalogit is what you use to actually tune the PFC. Can you tune with a Commander alone? Yes. Is it ideal? Hardly. Get the FC Datalogit!

Anyways...I decided to use this thread to compile various tuning documents I have found along my way that proved extremely helpful.

Word of caution:

I always tell ANYONE about to install an aftermarket EMS on their car- whether it be a standalone, piggyback, flash tune, or whatever- don't do it unless you can afford a blown motor! Stuff can always happen, and something can always go wrong. Especially if you have a warranty (no FD owners have to worry about this), and you don't want it voided, don't tune your car!

The safest engine (generally), is as close to OE-Spec as possible, but there are exceptions to this "rule".

Furthermore, I've told countless people this as well, and this HAS to be one of the biggest misconceptions in tuning- period. If you car isn't running right to begin with, installing an aftermarket EMS is almost NEVER going to solve your problem(s)!!!!

You need a solid foundation to start with before you can modifying things. It's like trying to fix a house with a cracked foundation buy putting new floors in. Not gonna fix shit!

So I can not stress it enough- if your car already has issues, slapping on an aftermarket EMS is 99.999999% of the time NOT going to fix your problem(s).

OK, now we can move on:

DOCUMENTS

Original Apex'i PowerFC User Manual

http://www.banzai-racing.com/store_instructions/APEXi_PowerFC_FD3S.pdf

Apex'i PowerFC New User FAQ

Paper was writen by Dale Clark, found in THIS THREAD on RX7Club.com.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?1w0y0jmzejo

FC Datalogit Tuning Doc

Written by "Wargasim", found in THIS THREAD on RX7Club.com. The link has been deleted and re-hosted multiple times, so I was finally able to save a viable link and I uploaded it on my own file hosting site so it won't disappear.

This is an absolutely AWESOME document that basically guides you through how to use the FC Datalogit. It covers each section, what each parameters does, and how to basically use the software.

Tuning theory is discussed very little, and some parts are less than ideal in the fact he simply doesn't know what they do (i.e. in Settings Tab 3, section 2). But this will give a great, basic understanding to using the software.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z2ynzw5zrxz/rx7_tuning.pdf

BASE MAPS

***These are BASE MAPS!!! If you don't what that means, then don't use them! They are BASIC..not tuned to your specific car, and are RUN AT YOUR OWN RISK***

BDC Base Maps

This is a batch of base map I got from Brian Cain (BDC Motorsports). He is one of THE BEST rotary engine builders/porters in the world today and knows his stuff. Additionally, he also tunes motors and has some very generous base maps. Brian sure knows his stuff, but even he cations, use at your own risk!!!

Download the batch here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gzwmw4i2exm/BaseMaps_Jan072009.zip

Open up the zip folder and extract them into a new folder. There are 6-7 tunes, each is for a DIFFERENT setup, be sure to read the notes in Settings tab 5 before running them!

I will have some of my own base maps up soon, but they will be little different compared to BDC's excellent maps.

Stock Base and Base "Mod" Maps (+ others)

I just found this link (7/08/10), haven't had time to save each batch of base maps, but within this link contains the stock PFC base map, the stock PFC base "mod" map (stock map on later edition PFC's) as well as other custom maps.

http://opus.bloomcounty.org/~patrick/pfc/

SOFTWARE

FC Edit

Latest version of the FC Edit software. Please note you can not tune your PFC with this software alone! You still need the FC Datalogit box! But it's nice to use this software (in addition to the how-to doc I posted) so you can familiarize yourself with the software before just jumping into the deep end.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jomyzzqyyvj/FC-Edit Universal Install.zip

Unzip the folder and run the "setup" folder, then you should be good to go

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14

You're such a nerd.

LOL Thanks for the info Dave! This makes me want to learn more about tuning so I can maybe do it myself someday. And I'm glad you dove in and like it, makes me feel good about having one too haha.

I have to say though, why WOULDN'T you want to lug around your laptop, then you could be like Brian Connor in his Eclipse with two tanks of NAWSSSSS!

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14

LOL I am a nerd...but I digress.

I do enjoy teaching people how to tune their cars, as well. There is an all too common misconception that tuning is some sort of "black magic" or "dark art". It really isn't.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14

I disagree, black magic is exactly what it is. LOL No, if you could teach me I'd love to learn. I had originally intended to do it myself, which is why I got the datalogit, but I always figured it was too difficult.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14

Just updated with a link to more base maps, including the 2 original base maps the PFC was shipped with.

Once I have more time I will save each viable batch and host them so they don't get lost in the interwebz

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14

This is fantastic. Hopefully it will help me as I learn to tune lol. Thanks for posting all this stuff up Dave.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:14

Not a problem, Eric.

Also found the instruction manual for the PFC, updated the link

EDIT

Also found out I can't have more than 10000 characters in my post, LOL

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:14

Just 10,000 characters?? Sheesh, they're such sticklers. LOL I forwarded this info to Mike. Hopefully we can get his car running before he makes the mistake of an engine swap to something inferior. LOL

alpha

Postby alpha » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14

Sounds like a good decision. I was hoping you would go for the AEM so we could program them together, but I guess I'm on my own for now. I went for the AEM because 1) I found one super cheap and 2) some chicken guy once told me it had "a shit ton of features" (Oct-09) and I just couldn't resist a challenge like that! ;)

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14

LOL!

Don't get me wrong, the AEM is still a GREAT Standalone option. It's just the lack of general support that turned me off to the unit. Otherwise I would be rocking one.

I can still help you get setup with one. I've been fiddling with the software so I could be help set you up for a solid tune

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14

So I'm trying to post a big long tuning aid I wrote up but EVERY time I attempt to it says "internal server error" regardless of post length. I will keep trying...

I have to break it up into multiple posts..
:eek:

chickenwafer

Bringing this back from the dead here.

Reasoning is I wanted to update on how to setup the PFC to run more boost. Out of the box, the PIM scaling (MAP sensor) reference is set to 24,000PIM which is 19.9psi. So if you run more than 19.9psi, but you still have the PIM scaling setup as factory, anything over 19.9psi will remain on that N20 row, the last row of the map. So the same timing and fueling from 19.9psi to whatever PSI you finally run, such as 23psi. This is not good as it can obviously result in engine damage as the fueling and timing requirements are different for 20psi to 25psi and so fourth.

Please keep in mind the factory MAP sensor runs out at 17.7psi.

chickenwafer

How did I figure out the stock PIM scaling? Simple:

24000PIM = 2.4 (move the decimal point up 4 places). Then we subtract 1.0 for atmosphere (1.0PIM = 14.7psi). This leaves us with 1.4kg/cm2 which is 19.9psi.

So again 24000PIM = 2.4kg/cm2 - 1kg/cm2 (atmosphere) = 1.4kg/cm2 = 19.9psi.

I find this like helpful for pressure conversion as well: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-units-converter-d_569.html

So, now that the math is out of the way, lets look at the PFC map:

I circled in red the PIM reference table. It can be re-scaled independently of the RPM scale. For reference points, 1000PIM is -27in/mm of vacuum, 10000pim is obviously atmosphere (so 0) and as I showed earlier, 24000pim is 19.9psi.

chickenwafer

So, lets say we want to max our map out at 25psi. Obviously we also want some headroom here, so if the map stops at 25psi, we should probably cap boost around 22-23psi.

So 25psi = 1.76kg/cm2 + 1kg/cm2 for atmosphere = 2.76kgm/cm2 = 27600PIM. Done.

Now we put 27600 in the P20 cell in the same PIM scale:

However, we have a problem now as the next cell (P19) shows 22000PIM, which is 1.2kg/cm2 = 17.1psi. So we have a MASSIVE gap in our map from 17.1psi to 25psi. This is a large grey area of the map, so to speak, that leaves a lot of guesswork to the PFC. So, we need to rescale the PFC.

We will leave the vacuum cells alone as this is where a majority of the driving we do takes place, believe it or not. We usually don't spend much time in boost.

So from P11 to P20 we have 10 cells to fill. The easiest way to do this is an interpolation so we have even spacing. The easiest way to do this is have the PFC do it for you. Go to the base fuel map table and in the first cell (n1,p1) with the P11 value, in this case 1.1. Then count over 10 cells (n10) and put in the new P20 cell value of 2.76. Then, highlight from N1 to N10 and right click, then select "interpolate":

The Datalogit software now did the work for us, so we can now input these values into the PIM scale under Settings tab 3 in the Datalogit software:

Of course, this is just how I did it. You can choose to do whatever you want with the scaling. Keep the stock scaling until P15 or so and then alter the scaling after that. The problem is you loose resolution with large gaps, so I would re-scale the map as much as you are comfortable with.

One more word of cation: if you re-scale your PIM scale this means you can't use others fueling and timing maps that don't have the same PIM scaling as you! Meaning, if you access someone's timing map, copy it, and paste it into your newly scaled MAP, the timing WILL BE OFF because their timing is for a different PIM scale! I can't stress this enough, it can and probably will lead to catastrophic motor damage.

Secondly, another word of cation in the same vein as map sharing: after re-scaling the PIM table, you will need to re-adjust your map-based load tables such as timing (leading and trailing) and fueling! The Datalogit doesn't make any changes for you after re-scaling such as an AEM or MoTeC would. So this means if during the re-scaling P15 was 10psi, but now 10psi is at P12, the fueling scheme is still in row P15 and it needs to be moved to P12. It's really not that confusing, it just shifts the entire map. This is why I would recommend re-scaling your PIM scale ONLY when setting up a new map, otherwise you have to re-tune your map anyways.

And there you have it, how to re-scale your PIM scale for the PFC with the Datalogit software.

MichaelB145

Postby MichaelB145 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14

I really need to learn this stuff someday. What I have noticed is we don't have much support online for high altitude tuning. The scale and offset was so different here compared to the rest of the country when using a 3 bar map sensor. For now, the best option for me is to bring in a tuner from out of state. There is a RX8 owner bringing in Steve Kan in the next week or so if anyone is interested? Otherwise I was planning on bringing him in next Spring.

Please email Mike@coloradocarevents.com if interested in getting your car tuned.

Mike B

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”