Build thread

Talk about your Rotaries!
RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14

stay calm step away from the computer before you break it.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14

Oh I don't damage the computer unless IT pisses me off. I won't punch it if I'm just mad in general lol.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Oh I don't damage the computer unless IT pisses me off. I won't punch it if I'm just mad in general lol.

I seem to remember being over there and you shook a computer because you were pissed at a web site.:lol:

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14

Yeah, welcome to RX7Store. I can't believe they're still in business, they've been slinging their shitty customer service for YEARS. I try to tell everyone not to deal with them. I know in this situation they are probably the ONLY vendor to sell just a v-mount radiator, so I understand why you ordered one through them.

It's just a shitty situation all around. Unfortunately RX7Store has a fantastic inventory (mind you not a SINGLE part is available to ship out quickly, however. I think Jason just contracts all those parts to other 3rd party companies- case n point my "RX7Store midpipe" was shipped from Florida when 7Store is based in Ohio...) and they have some hard to source parts, plus they're prices are usually spot on, so sometimes it feels like you almost HAVE to order from them.

And that's the shame of the FD world...here we have arguably Mazda's greatest achievement, rotary or not, a car that wasn't built for profit but to showcase Mazda's rotary engineering and technology, a marvel of a sports car, and we have such a limited aftermarket parts supply stream we are forced to order parts from asshat companies that can essentially do whatever they want because they're the only pony show in town. It just makes me sad, really.
:eek:

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:I seem to remember being over there and you shook a computer because you were pissed at a web site.:lol:

Yeah, that still deals with the computer though lol. And I don't remember this happening, but I don't dispute it one bit. It's probably happened so many times I just can't remember this one. lol

chickenwafer wrote:Yeah, welcome to RX7Store. I can't believe they're still in business, they've been slinging their shitty customer service for YEARS. I try to tell everyone not to deal with them. I know in this situation they are probably the ONLY vendor to sell just a v-mount radiator, so I understand why you ordered one through them.

It's just a shitty situation all around. Unfortunately RX7Store has a fantastic inventory (mind you not a SINGLE part is available to ship out quickly, however. I think Jason just contracts all those parts to other 3rd party companies- case n point my "RX7Store midpipe" was shipped from Florida when 7Store is based in Ohio...) and they have some hard to source parts, plus they're prices are usually spot on, so sometimes it feels like you almost HAVE to order from them.

And that's the shame of the FD world...here we have arguably Mazda's greatest achievement, rotary or not, a car that wasn't built for profit but to showcase Mazda's rotary engineering and technology, a marvel of a sports car, and we have such a limited aftermarket parts supply stream we are forced to order parts from asshat companies that can essentially do whatever they want because they're the only pony show in town. It just makes me sad, really.

True statement all around. The only reason I ordered through them was because I knew they had the exact setup I needed, even though I told him not to include the mounting points. But I did tell him to close up the nipple for the AST and everything else is right. It just pisses me off. He hasn't emailed me back since I replied to him last night. Oh, and I think his parts mainly come from ATP Turbo or something now, or at least they both use the same supplier. I've seen their sites linked together as of a few months ago already.

Took the car out to the meet tonight. Tried to race Kyle but I started getting REALLY sideways in 2nd when I punched it and instead of letting off a bit to shift to third I just stayed in it and THEN let off, but missed third about three times LOL. Someday I might be able to race someone again lol.

eliminster

Postby eliminster » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:14

lol, last night was fun to bad everyone else missed it.
87 red rx7
running 13b re cosmo motor
03 yellow wrx
yes it is a stock color
00 black s10 zr2
yes i have it to tow cars when they break.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14

Dang reading your thread makes me feel like one of the luckiest guys in the world (maybe I am).

Hope you make it out to the event. If I had a radiator that would work for you, I'd let you borrow it.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14

Thanks! My new radiator should be here tomorrow, and I talked to Tom at Beauchamp Racing (the guy that made my manifold and downpipe) and he said he'd stay late tomorrow night to weld my mounts on the new radiator. So hopefully I'll still be able to leave Thursday morning for Vegas. And I'm pretty sure Jon is going with me and buying an FD in Cali while we're there haha.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14

Well I guess I'm not going to SevenStock anymore. I got my radiator yesterday and took it to Tom so he could modify it for me. Got it back this morning and installed it. This one leaks worse than the old one, and from the same spot. I mean, it was like I was pouring coolant right on the floor. I took it back down to Tom and we pressure tested it. Koyo didn't get all the tubes welded to the ends apparently, but so far we only found one part that wasn't right. So Tom is going to cut the top off and weld the area that's wrong, then weld the top back on. He said he'll have it done by tomorrow, but it won't be in time for me to make it to SevenStock. It really ticks me off because now I've missed EVERY rotary event this year, and this was probably the only chance I'll get to make them all. Really pisses me off.

I think I might go ahead and start relocating the water injection pump as well. I'm thinking of using riv-nuts to attach the pump directly to the frame up near the spark plugs. Shorter hoses, fresh air past the pump to keep it cool, lower mounting position and behind the struts, don't have to run the lines through or under the whole car, using the bigger tank so it won't run out as fast...it's almost perfect. I also thought of mounting it where the AC compressor used to be mounted, but I'm not sure if vibration from the engine would hurt it and if I ever choose to put AC back in I'll have to find a new place to mount the pump. Anyone have any input on which of the two places to mount it?

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14

Sucks about the rad man. At least you can fix it. What did Jason say about it?

I would vote putting the water meth pump on the frame by the plugs. A solid location and has all the benefits you mentioned, especially shorter hose length. I might move mine there now haha.

speedjunkie

Jason said he'd refund me whatever it cost to fix it. So it's not so bad. And I think I'm going to take another week of leave and drive the car home instead. The St Louis guys are having a big meet on Sunday and I could probably still make that.

So not on the bracket where the AC usually is? The only reason I'd be more comfortable putting it there is because I could make sure it was solidly mounted, but if I can mount it pretty solid with riv-nuts I'd rather do that.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14

Aren't you planning on reinstalling your AC system though? Even if not, I think it's best to leave the AC compressor space open, just in case.

speedjunkie

Well I'd like to reinstall it, but who knows if I'll ever do it lol. I'd love to reinstall AC and heat, just so it's a well-rounded car. Heated seats would be nice too lol. And I would like to leave the AC space open because it makes it MUCH easier to change the spark plugs.

I'm going to Fastenal tomorrow to get some rivet nuts. I had a kit that I picked up from Harbor Freight but I can't find the rivet gun since Simon used it over a year ago lol, and I didn't want to use Harbor Freight rivet nuts for something as important as this. I guess I'll have to get another kit from Harbor Freight though because I'm not paying $200 for a rivet gun from Fastenal.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:It really ticks me off because now I've missed EVERY rotary event this year, and this was probably the only chance I'll get to make them all. Really pisses me off.

(thinks about feeling bad but changes mind)

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:14

I suppose you have little sympathy due to your protracted car painting experience?:o

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”