DIY: Mazdaspeed Rear Strut Bar Install

Talk about your Rotaries!
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

Installing the Mazdaspeed Rear Strut Bar.

1. Remove the tire puncture repait kit. Just loosen the strap and toss it aside.
2. Remove all of the fasteners for the trunk lining. These are a pain, tiny little plastic screws that will strip if you look at ‘em wrong. Take your time. I broke a couple.
3. Remove the damper bracket nuts. 2 14mm nuts. A small 3” extension helps to clear the tower brace.

Note: The entire strut bar comes assembled with the brackets installed on the bar. To remove, you’ll need a 17mm socket, and the correct Allen key (which I didn’t have, appears to be about ¼” or 5/16” head. Otherwise, you can use some vise grips, as the area is easy to grip. You need to remove the brackets for install.

4. Install bracket and tighten to 27.4 -38.8 ft-lb.

5. The fun part: trim the trunk lining appropriately with a box cutter to expose the brackets. Be patient.
6. Reinstall the trim pieces and fasteners.
7. Install the main bar to the brackets. Tighten the 17mm bolts to 27-38 ft-lb.

8. Reinstall the tire puncture repair kit. I used the strap, and attached it behind the strut bar.

If you trimmed too much of the lining, which I did, use some sheet styrene, or other plastic you may have available and make some trim to surround the brackets. I’ll take pictures of that once I complete it.

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

Did you notice any difference in handling?
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpeedRacer @ Oct 8 2007, 02:55 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=4116]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Did you notice any difference in handling?[/b]

Not yet, the only ride after the install was to the car wash! Hopefully I can get something a little more spirited in soon. I hear the differences are pretty much non-existent, as the RX-8 is pretty stiff to start with. The 6 hatch could really benefit from me, and most likely, the 3 hatch as well. With those cars, though, it really cuts in to the utility of the cargo holds.

MS3_Mafia

Postby MS3_Mafia » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

Nice install and write up!! I want one of these for the Speed3.
2007 Mazdaspeed3 Sport</span>
-Mazdaspeed Short Ram Intake
-HKS SSQV Bov
-Tein S-Tech Springs
-225/40/18 Nitto Neo Gen Tires on RX-8 Wheels

<span style="color:#FF0000">http://www.JTuned.com

Buffalo

Postby Buffalo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

Why did you go with the Mazdaspeed. Was there any other brand you were considering?
05 RX-8 RB revi (ram air) intake. ACT prolight flywheel. Clutch Masters stage 1. Axialflow short shifter. Tinted windows.
255 (f) Dunlap 275® Bridgestone

Up Next: Project RX-8!

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sleepy Buffalo @ Oct 17 2007, 03:05 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6177]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Why did you go with the Mazdaspeed. Was there any other brand you were considering?[/b]

I had looked at the AutoExe braces, but those were just way too expensive. I also preferred the mounting of the MS vs the Greddy bar. Relatively inexpensive, and to be honest, I don't think you'll notice a difference unless you're at 10/10ths on the track. I just liked the way it looked.

And...welcome to the club!

Buffalo

Postby Buffalo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:14

Did you feel any difference with adding this to the back of the car?
05 RX-8 RB revi (ram air) intake. ACT prolight flywheel. Clutch Masters stage 1. Axialflow short shifter. Tinted windows.

255 (f) Dunlap 275® Bridgestone

Up Next: Project RX-8!

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”