RX-8 Ownership Log

Talk about your Rotaries!
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14

Think of it as an informal long term test. I'll try and update a coupla times a month. Entries are below...

turbo99jetta

Postby turbo99jetta » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14

sweeet keep up updated.. i've been there with these car's so so far i'll agree with what you said!

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14

Nice blog!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14

it's blogtastic! I read it last night...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14

Bump! Blog updated.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huzer21 @ Oct 1 2007, 10:09 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=2657]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Bump! Blog updated.[/b]

I will have to check it out then..
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

MS3_Mafia

Postby MS3_Mafia » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14

Awesome blog Tim! [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/1218b428.gif[/img]
2007 Mazdaspeed3 Sport</span>
-Mazdaspeed Short Ram Intake
-HKS SSQV Bov
-Tein S-Tech Springs
-225/40/18 Nitto Neo Gen Tires on RX-8 Wheels

<span style="color:#FF0000">http://www.JTuned.com

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MS3_Mafia @ Oct 1 2007, 03:55 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=2717]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Awesome blog Tim! [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/1218b428.gif[/img][/b]

Thanks! I'm no writer, but I figured I'd give this a shot.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14

Bumpity-bump! Click on the pretty CMZC picture below for my blog!

ZoomPrincess

Postby ZoomPrincess » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14

I know how it is to be the passenger behind the TALL driver... Not very fun.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:14

Sep 24 2007, 03:15 PM

This blog will be entirely about the joys and pains or living with my RX-8. I purchased the car on 9/1/2007, a 2004 Titanium Gray 6spd Touring model. It's a 4 owner car, I'm the 4th owner. The first registration (Mazda Fleet) ran for the first 9 months and 19,800 miles of the car, there was even the insurance card from Mazda NA in the car, as well as a warning ticket from the State Patrol in Arizona. It spent it's next 6,070 miles, and 1 yr 3 months, in Texas. It was thought registered for 10 months, and 7,000 miles in Colorado. That's where I come in. When purchased, the car had 32,210 miles on it.

The Car: 2004 Mazda RX-8 Touring. Titanium Gray, Appearance package.
Purchased: Mazda of Lakewood, Lakewood, CO.
Modifications:The only apparent modifications made to the car was window tint applied in California. I've added clear JDM front corners, a clear bra, and tint to the windshield. On its way to the house is an Axial Flow Short Shifter.

Why an RX-8? After owning a Mazda 6i 5 door for 18 months, I had decided it was time to get something a little sportier. The 6 is a great car, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the RX-8 holds up. I did a little research on the car, learned some of its foibles, and read all of the praise that the media has heaped onto it as well. Armed with that knowledge I had a bit of an idea what to expect.

Initial impressions: I have yet to go on a true drive to appreciate the car. The drives I have gone on have been very rewarding. A very responsive chassis that's easy to toss around. It's very balanced and I'm looking forward to removing the small amount of body roll the car exhibits now and sharpening up the handling a little more. Interior room is defintely on the cozy side, but it's very comfortable in the car. It's taken a little adjustment to get used to the low ride height, and thus the low step in height of the vehicle. It seems to still be a solid car after the 32k the previous owners have driven it.

The engine, very free spinning, very smooth, very thirsty. I'm tracking mileage on this tank (with 5 oz of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant). Torque is fairly nonexistent below 3000, and there's a noticeable "boost" at 5500. It spins freely all the way to its 9k redline. A drag racer this isn't, but the true intent of this car is in its superior handling.

Oil consumption so far is negligible, as I've only put 500 miles on the car since I purchased it. I'm looking forward to posting updates and keeping people up to date on what it's like to live with the RX-8 day to day.

Huzer21

One Full Month: 10/1/2007
Email this entry | Print this entry
Oct 1 2007, 11:36 AM

I've now officially had the car 1 month, purchased on Sept 1.

Newly installed mods: None
Ordered/waiting for install: AFE Short Shifter. Mazda Leather Parking Brake lever. Piano Black B-pillars, RB F/R Sways, RB Endlinks, MS Rear Strut Brace.
Current Mileage: 33010 (exactly 800 miles of ownership)

In keeping with the suspension first, in terms of mods, I'm awaiting arrival of the above parts. Most should arrive this week and I'm excited to get them installed. The expensive thing left for under the car is a new coilover suspension. Ultimately, new wheels/tires will be part of the equation as well, but that's not happening until after winter. Same for the coilovers as well.

Now, after the first long outing the car has had, a few more driving impressions. It's really remarkable how smooth this engine is. Granted, you've got to keep it high in the rev range to keep it responsive, but it just whirs along effortlessly. Unlike traditional piston engines, this one does not run out of breath at the redline. It seems to keep begging you to just go a little more. I was shocked at one point to see the speedo (it took getting used to, but I'm beginning to like the "at a glance" digital readout) showing 101. I slowed back down to more responsible numbers, and when I told my girlfriend what speed were had been going, she couldn't believe it either. Once you're moving, it's easy to go fast in this car. However, going fast can have its penalties. Read on.

Mileage. So, the 6i, this is not. I'm returning city mileage of around 13mpg, and a more respectable 20.1mpg after the Saturday cruise. The smallish tank, coupled with the poor mileage results in short cruising range. I knew this when I bought the car, and had I been looking for something fuel efficient, I obviously would've looked elsewhere. Still, from the modest power numbers the car produces, and the miniscule size of the engine (1.3L), you'd expect slightly fewer trips to the local Conoco.

Handling still makes me smile whenever I hop in the car. Even this weekend, at the return of the cruise, I was taking the exit off I-25 onto 38th/Park Ave. I was preparing to slow up a bit, as the girlfriend was in the car with me, and mentioned I usually take the exit kinda fast. She responded with "Why are you slowing down?", so I maintained speed and held on. I'm looking forward to a real cruise in the twisties. And I think the girl is finally warming up to the car, too.

Problems. The only problem to list is the incorrectly installed stereo. I need to determine if I'm going to look at it myself, or take it to Sil-Terhar. I'm not returning to Lakewood. The volume level is just way out of whack. Prior to Lakewood re-installing, it was normal, with volume numbers matching those on my 6i. Now, cruising along at 5 is loud, and 10 just causes distortion. Not to mention the low volume, settings 1 and 2, has intolerable feedback and hissing. I don't blame this on the car, I blame it on the abysmally poor service department at Lakewood.

Next update, after a few mods are installed. I'll be writing up some DIYs for those projects and posting them here.

Huzer21

First Real Modifications!
Oct 8 2007, 02:14 PM

Newly installed mods: AFE Short Shifter. Mazda Leather Parking Brake lever. Piano Black B-pillars, MS Rear Strut Brace.
Previously installed: JDM Clear corners, Tint, Clear Bra.
Ordered/waiting for install: RB F/R Sways, RB Endlinks.
Current Mileage: 33156

One week, just a shade over 100 miles put on the car. First off, impressions of the new modifications. The short shifter is sweet. AFE claims it's a 30% shorter throw, and it makes a significant difference. The 1-2 shift seems slightly balkier, but through the rest of the gears, it feels nearly stock, with just a bit more seriousness to it. Nice and solid shifting. I'm pleased, it's only been a couple of days, but so far, it's definitely a mod I'm happy I made. The rear strut? Well, It looks nice back there, but to be honest, unless I'm on the track, I won't feel any of the benefits. Even then, they're pretty negligible. It was inexpensive, and I like the way it looks. The trunk will rarely see anything other than the quart of oil that travels with me, so I'm not worried about using up any precious cargo space. The parking brake lever feels a lot better than the old one. Once again, since it's a new part, it feels, well...new. I like the leather handle, and the fact that the chrome isn't all chipped off the release button. I think it looks better than the old solid rubber handle piece. Once again, a looks mod rather than a performance one, but it's whatever makes ya happy, right? Right. Lastly, I installed the B-pillar appliques last week as well. Inexpensive, and they look nice. I prefer the shine of the piano black vs the flat black tape that was on there before.

According to my tracking number, the Racing Beat sways and end links will be here today. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get them installed next weekend. I'm looking forward to getting those on the car and getting in a few spirited runs in the mountains before the snow takes hold. I'll continue my current method of modifying, interior bits here and there, and suspension. I'm making absolutely no engine mods as I'm hoping to eventual go with the Pettit S/C kit, possibly before summer hits.

Mazda of Lakewood finally installed the correct Bose head unit, after installing the incorrect one a week and a half ago. Sounds ok, but the speakers really sound shot. Those might get swapped in the near future, but I'm retaining the rest of the stock system. While I'm a music nut, I'm not much of a car audiophile. I like listening to the car more, and not adding the extra weight of an audio system. Anyway, that should be the last of Mazda of Lakewood. Further service will see me making the trek to a different dealership.

Further impressions of the car: I haven't driven much in the last week, the longest drive being to the dealership. With DSC off, I am able to kick out the backend rather easily. Kinda surprised me actually. It's an absolute blast to drive. All other initial impressions hold true at this point. No new issues to report.

Huzer21

Racing Beat Sways Installed, Future Plans.
Oct 15 2007, 10:11 AM

Newly installed mods: RB F/R Sways, RB Endlinks.
Previously installed: JDM Clear corners, Tint, Clear Bra, AFE Short Shifter. Mazda Leather Parking Brake lever. Piano Black B-pillars, MS Rear Strut Brace.
Ordered/waiting for install: Goodridge SS brake lines, Factory 6 disc changer.
Current Mileage: 33320

Another week, more smiles. About 150 miles for the car this past week. On Wednesday, I installed the RB sway bars. They definitely make quite a difference in the initial turn in and bite throughout the corners. So far I'm impressed, but will definitely have to take it on something other than some off ramps for better thoughts. The install went smoothly, although the front takes easily twice as long as the rear. Drilling the control arm and the bar was no big deal. The biggest pain was snaking the bar through the front into the correct position. Tightening the front head nuts is a pain too. A 5 mm allen and a stubby 19mm wrench is needed. Definitely worth the effort. Roll seems nearly eliminated. I'd like to get on a track so I can really test out the car. That's something I haven't done in the past, but I'm very interested in doing. I've never owned a vehicle that has handled like this, it just seems to grip forever. I can take the relatively flat 38th St/Park Ave exit from NB 25 at around 53mph. Posted warning signs are either 15 or 25, can't remember which at the moment. Prior to the install, fastest mid corner speed was 46.

No other mods done to the car this week other than a thorough cleaning and a few coats of P21S all the way around. Beads like crazy, and I really like the deeper wet look it gives on the metallics, rather than the harsher mirror shine of the synthetics I've been using. Interior received and easy clean too. Next up for that are still some piano black door handle bezels and I may go with a MS shift knob as well. Hopefully arriving soon will be the OEM 6 disc changer that I picked up used to swap up with the single disc that's currently installed. Before winter sets in, I'll snag a set of all weather mats, too, although the car shouldn't see too much foul weather driving. The metro area doesn't see a ton of snow anyway.

I'll have to take the car in somewhere (not Lakewood) to get the rear driver's side taillight replaced. There's a TSB for the condensation/fogging and it's been there over a week now. Otherwise, I don't see any other problems at the moment. The smoothness of the rotary still gets to me every time. If there was just another 50 ft-lb in this car, I'd be thrilled. That's why I'll just make my own Speed8.

Planned future mods: Cusco coilovers with ECON, MS front and rear bumper. Spring '08.

Huzer21

Not Much To Report.
Oct 23 2007, 08:17 AM

Newly installed mods: None
Previously installed: JDM Clear corners, Tint, Clear Bra, AFE Short Shifter. Mazda Leather Parking Brake lever. Piano Black B-pillars, MS Rear Strut Brace, RB F/R Sways, RB Endlinks.
Ordered/waiting for install: Goodridge SS brake and clutch lines, Factory 6 disc changer.
Current Mileage: 33440

Another 150ish mile week for the RX-8. No problems or new quirks to report.

This may very well be the first week I've owned the RX-8 that something new hasn't been installed. I've received the Goodridge brake lines, and the clutch line was on backorder. It should be sent out the middle of this week. The CD changer is getting dropped off today, I've got to go home and wait for the UPS guy to drop it off this afternoon. Once that's received, the interior work will begin. I've made a template for the storage bin that's to replace the cupholders and need to mock up a bin before I actually get to cutting. I just want to make sure I can actually do this before I attempt it. I still plan on going body color for the silver trim pieces on the center console. The ECON controller is small enough that I'm not concerned about it at this point. I know where I want to install it, and I know it will fit with no issues.

I've managed to play around a bit more, and I'm definitely impressed with the RB bars. All of my previous comments hold true regarding the difference they have made. The next suspension mod will be the Cuscos with the ECON. Should make another significant difference in the handling of the car. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks, I'll find some time to get the SS lines installed.

Not much else to update this time. The car keeps chugging along. I haven't had to add any oil yet, and I'm going to have to do something about that horrible dipstick and its location. Another common gripe of the car: for something you have to continually check oil on, they sure hid the dipstick and made sure that you get filthy every time you check it. Damn Mazda! Til next time...

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”