Emissions Tests???

Talk about your Rotaries!
7th Heaven

Emissions Tests???

Postby 7th Heaven » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14

Who has done an emissions test on there FD?? Im afraid that even if i pass my test that they will do a visual test and fail it?? Anyone who knows exactly what they are gonna do for a test on a FD rx7 let me know!!! I dont wanna go there and fail because of the most stupid thing ever.

Tanks in advance.

7th Heaven

by the way, its a 1jz vvti gte swap in a FD. Bone stock motor with factory cat on downpipe and factory midpipe/cat and new factory o2 sensor. All of the markings that say toyota on them are removed just in case a visual test took place.

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14

[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14

You have to pass them 3 different times in a 3 week period IIRC, so you can't just roll through them all in one day. Plus, there are NONE even remotely close to us, so this would mean lots of driving. I've looked into this. EDIT: I guess there are some in Fort Collins now? Never seen them before. Nonetheless, you have to complete it 1 full months before your tags expire IIRC.

If you have a stock cat and ECU in, you should be fine. I am going to get my FD emissions tested (with the rotary) this weekend. As far as I've heard from people who have gone (without FD's), they don't do a visual inspection. Just put it on the dyno and do the emissions test, then do a gas cap test, that's it.
:eek:

7th Heaven

I wish i could do that but it hasnt been registered for a while now so ill have to use temp tags in order to drive it and the temp tag they give me wont last that many days :(.

7th Heaven

Im defenetly not worried about the gas analyzing test, im just worried they are gonna pop the hood and say "ya that is defenetly not stock, YOU FAIL!!"
And since the diagnostic port is in the engine bay for an rx7 stock or not stock cuz i see them hook up the scan tool to do the test. Unless that is for OBD II vehicles only?

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14

They hook up to scan is for OBDII vehicles only (1996+). I don't think they care if its a swap or not. They probably won't notice. They mostly just look for a cat and that's it.

ImageImage

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:14

Colorado has a referee station, if it is needed. If the OBD II hooks up and passes, and the tail pipe test goes your way, there shouldn't be any issues. I've seen the tech spend minutes just finding a OBD port! The Refs that I met were actually telling me secrets to passing their inspection. Things like "just tell us the block is from 1968" (1968 Mustang with 1993 5.0 FI).
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:14

The RX-7 is a non OBD vehicle so thus no OBD-II port for diagnostics. They won't hook up anything. They do complete a visual inspection for a cat I believe.

I think it's bullshit how even OBD-II cars still have to pass a tailpipe sniffer test. OBD-II essentially means the car has on-board diagnostics (duh) for the federally mandated emissions equipment, mostly. Around 85% of Check Engine Lights in most cars are emissions related. So if some component emissions related has failed, you get a CEL. So it's BS they still want to do a sniffer test up here.

In Phoenix for OBD-II vehicles they just plug in and look for CELs. If none in the past 4 drive cycles, you pass. I have multiple friends that have passed emissions in Phoenix this way despite having no cats because they blocked the CEL.
:eek:

7th Heaven

Postby 7th Heaven » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:The RX-7 is a non OBD vehicle so thus no OBD-II port for diagnostics. They won't hook up anything. They do complete a visual inspection for a cat I believe.

I think it's bullshit how even OBD-II cars still have to pass a tailpipe sniffer test. OBD-II essentially means the car has on-board diagnostics (duh) for the federally mandated emissions equipment, mostly. Around 85% of Check Engine Lights in most cars are emissions related. So if some component emissions related has failed, you get a CEL. So it's BS they still want to do a sniffer test up here.

In Phoenix for OBD-II vehicles they just plug in and look for CELs. If none in the past 4 drive cycles, you pass. I have multiple friends that have passed emissions in Phoenix this way despite having no cats because they blocked the CEL.

If they want emissions so damn bad I think that they should have emissions tests for vehicles that are 96 or newer since they have all that diagnostics crap. Anything non OBD II should be exempt. They should be exempt because emissions regulations were'nt so strict in the pre OBD II days. It is a bunch of bull that they are doing this. I also think for the emissions test it should be a gas analyze test at idle and another test reving up the motor to 2000rpm for 1 minute. If it does pass then your free to go, if you dont pass then thats when the visual inspection should happen along with hooking up the scan tool. The gas cap test is pretty retarded and pointless, if you have a CEL then thats when they should be checking if your cap is loose, have a bad purge solinoid, bad charcoal canister, etc. If the CEL is off then your evap system is fine 99% of the time and free of issues.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”