Mecum Auction, Denver: July 8/9

Meet and Event Information
Huzer

Mecum Auction, Denver: July 8/9

Postby Huzer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14

Anyone interested in going to the Mecum Auction in July? I'm going to go to check out the cars. It's $30 for a one day ticket, $40 covers both days. It's at the Colorado Convention Center.

https://www.mecum.com/auction-detail.cf ... nID=DN0716

Huzer

Re: Mecum Auction, Denver: July 8/9

Postby Huzer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14

The Mecum Auction we pretty cool. My father in law came with me to check it out. It was interesting to see how the market played out throughout the day on Saturday. It was obvious people were not there for any exotic cars, as the Ferraris, Panteras, etc, that were in attendance didn't meet their reserve. There was a nice little BMW Z3 Coupe that went unsold at $9k.

What did sell, and what there were a ton of, were old Vettes. It was like being at a Corvette show. Nice cars, but I got tired of seeing yet another '54, or a '65, or a '68... One Cougar, a '69, crossed the block and went unsold at $8k. It was a decent driver car, but nothing exceptional. Surprised to see how low some of the 50s american iron is going for.

What I didn't expect was how I felt being there, and after I left. I fully thought I'd be bummed, looking at pristine show cars, and realizing how far away the Cougar is. But after going, it's not that bad. And a LOT of cars at the auction are what I would call driver. The interiors were worn and could stand to be refreshed. The engine bays were tired, and showed evidence of the obvious exterior color change. Paint flaking off valve covers, rust, etc. Cars under lights look unbelievably good, even if they aren't perfect cars.

Shadowden

Re: Mecum Auction, Denver: July 8/9

Postby Shadowden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14

Seems like you had a good time. I think your cougar will be a great base to work from and take to whatever level you want.

Return to “Colorado Automotive Enthusiasts Meets and Events”